Usergroups
A few questions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sorry, I think you've missed where I'm talking about. I don't mean the grating inside the mine itself. I mean the one outside the mine which you go under to get into the mine. There is a winch there as well as another device you don't seem to be able to use (it looks like it's for pounding rock).

Another question - If I'm taking the career path of a guard, is there any point in my having mana? The walkthrough recommends taking the permanent mana increasing potion as a reward for delivering the message. However, if I'm never going to cast spells I don't see why I'd need more mana.

*Update*

On retrying I found I could use one of the waypoints: OW_OM_ENTRANCE04 - this takes me past the grating. I was trying to use the waypoints for inside the old mine like om_122 but I guess they only work if you have already entered the mine.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:11 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Holywhippet
Sorry, I think you've missed where I'm talking about. I don't mean the grating inside the mine itself. I mean the one outside the mine which you go under to get into the mine. There is a winch there as well as another device you don't seem to be able to use (it looks like it's for pounding rock).

The cheatguide says itīs
zTrigger OldMineGate

quote:
Another question - If I'm taking the career path of a guard, is there any point in my having mana? The walkthrough recommends taking the permanent mana increasing potion as a reward for delivering the message. However, if I'm never going to cast spells I don't see why I'd need more mana.
Who says youīre not going to cast spells?

quote:

*Update*

On retrying I found I could use one of the waypoints: OW_OM_ENTRANCE04 - this takes me past the grating. I was trying to use the waypoints for inside the old mine like om_122 but I guess they only work if you have already entered the mine.
Correct. You have to stay in the current "world". As explained above, waypoints are unnecessary because "k" teleports you 2 meters forward.
Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:25 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

It's true.
Because waypoints use the continuous line system, you cannot go through a transition screen sequence because there are no lines to follow, only key waypoint termini (end of the line). But using goto x,y,z co-ordinates you can go to any exact square inch in the gothic world, not many players realise this.
Post Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:52 pm
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

A few more questions:

a) Combat seems a bit odd in parts. Against weaker monsters (scavengers, bloodflies etc.) it's basically one hit and it's over. Against stronger monsters like shadow hounds, combat gets odd. I charge in an attack and usually the first hit does damage. I then keep swinging as the monster comes in and often I get the sound of a hit and the monster gets driven back a bit but no damage is actually done. Sometimes it takes dozens of swings before the monster goes down. I'm not sure if it's because the monster is dodging my attacks or if my weapon isn't actually doing any damage - the damage I do inflict might just be due to critical hits. Up until recently I was using an orc weapon - a 2-H axe that does 50 damage and has a 22 strength requirement. I'm now using an Orc hammer.

b) Up on a hill there are some ruins. On one of the walls is a button. Is something supposed to happen when I press it?

c) One of the hunters between the old and new camps (the one who teaches stealth) has a small cave with a door behind it. I can't seem to pick the lock on it though, will I get in there later by getting a key or is it something I have to find?
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:56 am
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

A; You are basicly thumping them on the nose and not getting good damage because you are hitting them as they just enter your weapons range. Monsters are like tanks, tough in the front and weak in the rear.

B; You'll have to give us a little bit better idea where you mean......but yes normally a switch causes some action to occur.

C; It has been a long time, so my memory might fail me, but I think the key is in Cavalorn's chest(that is the guy you are talking about and his chest is next to his bed)

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:22 am
Holywhippet
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Uriziel
A; You are basicly thumping them on the nose and not getting good damage because you are hitting them as they just enter your weapons range. Monsters are like tanks, tough in the front and weak in the rear.

B; You'll have to give us a little bit better idea where you mean......but yes normally a switch causes some action to occur.

C; It has been a long time, so my memory might fail me, but I think the key is in Cavalorn's chest(that is the guy you are talking about and his chest is next to his bed)

a) So how do I go about doing better damage? They are always facing me so I can't easily flank them. Also I'm not doing poor damage, in most cases I'm doing no damage.

b) The ruins are just south of the Old Camp - the detailed world map on this site lists them as being castle ruins.

c) I'll check next time - he's often wandering around so opening the chest shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:10 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

a) So how do I go about doing better damage? They are always facing me so I can't easily flank them. Also I'm not doing poor damage, in most cases I'm doing no damage.

- Problem is, they are blocking. If you just strife(dodge) to either side, and go around them, you will hit them in the back and do full damage. Also, you can force them up against a wall or a tree or something, and they will start missing their blocks. Remember to use the classic forward-forward-forward-forward combo all the time and not miss a move, and you'll kill them fairly easy in time.

b) The ruins are just south of the Old Camp - the detailed world map on this site lists them as being castle ruins.

- I think you are talking about the ruins way up on the mountain? Is there an orc nearby by a bridge? If so, the button opens the "floor" in front of it, and when you step on it you will fall down. Beware though, there is a stone giant in the room below who will kill you unless you are fairly strong and have a good blunt weapon.

c) I'll check next time - he's often wandering around so opening the chest shouldn't be a problem.

- Yes, the key is in the chest near Cavalorns' bed if I remember correctly. He will not object to you taking it.
Post Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:34 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Itīs normal that you donīt do much damage. Many creatures or enemies have good armour. Then only the critical hits go through. The situation will improve over time. Just concentrate on better gear and combat skills or Str. It adds up. 10 Str more, a better sword, the next armour ... makes a huge difference.
Post Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:19 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2