Psychonauts
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Adventure Games

Author Thread
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Psychonauts

I'm about 18-20 hours into Psychonauts, and I'll just start by saying this is one of those rare games that makes you sit back and realize just how cool computer gaming can be. It's that good. In these lean times for CRPG gamers, this one should be on everyone's play list, IMO.

I hate console games and wont touch a game pad with a ten foot pole. That being said, this game works just fine with a keyboard once you get the layout set up the way you like it. If you are like me and hate platform type games, don't be afraid of this title. It requires lots of jumping around, but it's very forgiving and fairly easy for those among us (myself included) who are not good at your typical platform game.

This is probably one of the most creative and artistic games I've played in my 22 years of computer gaming, and it's actually fun. In fact it's a blast to play. The graphics are quite good, reminiscient of World of Warcraft and definitely 'cartoony.'

The game takes place at a summer camp for young people, and the world is filled with funny and interesting NPC's to interact with. Often they'll give you quests to go on, things like a Scavenger Hunt, or go talk to 'such and such' NPC and in your travels you'll start to train and learn various powers, like Levitation, Create Fire, etc. that, when used properly, will allow you to solve puzzles, thus opening up new areas. The areas are neat, you have a lake with canoes, numerous caves, forest, campfire area, a lodge for buying equipment.

The nice thing about this game is it trains you as you go along, in fact the game is like one big tutorial, but that does not take away the thrill the first time you get 'create fire' and once trained in the skill, you can torch that grizzly bear that's been killing you for the last 2 hours.

Psychonauts has an OUTSTANDING sense of humor as well. The dialogue is some of the most clever and funny stuff I've ever seen.

I can't say enough about this game, but I will say it's VERY difficult to describe. But I can pretty much guarantee that if you give this game 5 hours of your time, you'll be hooked. This one gets my seal of approval; I'm a hardcore CRPG player who prefers turn based games, but Psychonauts is special and I believe that most everybody here would greatly enjoy this title. Highly recommended!

**Here is a pretty good review that better captures the essence of the game**:

http://cgw.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3139777&did=4
Post Sat May 14, 2005 8:07 am
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Psychonauts

I agree with the above statements, Psychonauts is a great game even it's an action adventure and not a traditional point & click adventure game. I generally didn't like action crpg's (such as diablo etc.) until Gothic was released (and Morrowind was a second good action-crpg; not counting UW, SS and Ultima series...) Psychonauts is a good action-adventure like Gothic was for action-crpg genre. Most importantly it's lots of fun and easy enough to play while smoking weed.
Post Mon May 16, 2005 8:54 am