Why the delay for English version?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Why the delay for English version?

I can't figure out why they need 4 more months for the English version. Surely it doesn't take that long to translate, and they probably were doing them concurrently.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:07 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I don't get it either... and it seems like no one really do know why they are delaying it.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:12 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Perhaps it has something to do with the logistics of a foregn release and a desire to put out a more polished version to other markets.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:15 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Why do the English version have to be more "polished"? So, the German version is some kinda of beta, or what?
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:17 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
Why do the English version have to be more "polished"? So, the German version is some kinda of beta, or what?

Oh, just a guess. Maybe it is difficult for them to provide technical support to English countries or they just want make sure the word-of-mouth is as positive as possible in, what I assume is, a larger market.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:31 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I think its mentioned in some other thread that JoWood are having some problems financially so they might have been forced to delay it cause of that.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:23 pm
Brolli999999
City Guard
City Guard

Re: Why the delay for English version?

quote:
Originally posted by Lysander
I can't figure out why they need 4 more months for the English version. Surely it doesn't take that long to translate, and they probably were doing them concurrently.

ofcourse you wouldnt be able to figure out why it is "taking so long" your not devleloping the game , who knows what happens during the develop of the english version. I dont know where you got 4 months from , the release date is Q1 2003 and its probably comming out in febuary. All i know is after playing the demo even for 5 mins , its worth waiting as long as they need the time to put the english version out , not only are they translating the english they are looking for bugs and making the performance better , and have to go threw the game alot of times. Its going to be cool
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:23 pm
Dybbuk
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:

ofcourse you wouldnt be able to figure out why it is "taking so long" your not devleloping the game

Wow, thanx for letting us know that, Im a bit scizo, sometimes I think Im Kairo, sometimes Sascha and working for PB, oh well, now Im set straight, thanx again

Whats the point in making a comment like anyway?, I mean theres some very well informed people hanging around this forum like Jaz, Gorath etc, they might actually have an answer why its taking so long.

Besides, PB said they started english voice recording somtime early november and I doubt it takes 2-3 months to finish that, since the german voice acting didnt seem to take more then 2-3 weeks, I dont need to be a game developer to read what they themselves have said...
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:39 pm
Brolli999999
City Guard
City Guard

Well then stop asking why its taking so long , and wait like the rest of us have too,

No offence but i dont care what any one else says , i only read whats on the offical sites , i dont really care much just when its out ill get it.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:07 pm
SwitchBlade
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Let's see. They have to translate the ingame german text to english (interface, items, subtitles etc.) They have to write an english manual, proofread it & get it printed. All the ingame video has to be changed because the lip-sync are off, the video may be too short or too long in going from german dialog to english. Altering the code to accomodate this might introduce bugs which have to be quashed. Anyone think of anything else?
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:23 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:
Originally posted by Dybbuk

Wow, thanx for letting us know that, Im a bit scizo, sometimes I think Im Kairo, sometimes Sascha and working for PB, oh well, now Im set straight, thanx again

Whats the point in making a comment like anyway?, I mean theres some very well informed people hanging around this forum like Jaz, Gorath etc, they might actually have an answer why its taking so long.

Besides, PB said they started english voice recording somtime early november and I doubt it takes 2-3 months to finish that, since the german voice acting didnt seem to take more then 2-3 weeks, I dont need to be a game developer to read what they themselves have said...

LOL Dybbuk!

Anyway, I compleatly agree with you...
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:13 pm
bometo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just thought i'd bring my two pence thought here.
To make things clear there's no way the delay for european (other than german language) release has nothing to do with development issues.
It is clearly defined today when you design a multilingual program that every 'localized' part of your application must be found in ressources that are apart of the logic of your program.
If you have videos, sounds or localized text, they can be found in ressources that have nothing to do with the logic of of the program.
If it's a well designed program, you could even imagine change the language during the execution. But that means that you deliver the program with all versions of sounds, video and text, which for economical reason is not done.
So against what has been said earlier they shouldn't have to correct bug induced by translation.
And in fact, i clearly doubt they touch the game between versions. When you know that for any modification you have a lot of time spent on proof that it's working.
So if there is a reason for this delay it can be economical, or political but certainly not for localization.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:16 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by bometo

So if there is a reason for this delay it can be economical, or political but certainly not for localization.

Let me guess, you want to have 9 hours of not-lip-syncronyzed voice acting and your dialog windows oversized? English text is -generally speaking- shorter than German.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:16 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by SwitchBlade
Let's see. They have to translate the ingame german text to english (interface, items, subtitles etc.) They have to write an english manual, proofread it & get it printed. All the ingame video has to be changed because the lip-sync are off, the video may be too short or too long in going from german dialog to english. Altering the code to accomodate this might introduce bugs which have to be quashed. Anyone think of anything else?

Like I said, didn't they do all that at the same time that they were doing the German?

As for the manual, I could probably translate it in a week, and I don't speak Geman.

The game isn't really lip-synched that well now (no games are). The in-game cutscenes are all rendered in realtime, based on the sounds, so there's no problem there, and no new bugs.

Kairo said that all English voice recording was done by the end of November.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:04 am
Brolli999999
City Guard
City Guard

but what ever the reason we cant do anything about we can just sit here and wait , the day will come , and soon
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:32 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next