Gothic 3: Interview Pt. 2 @ RPG Codex
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Gothic 3: Interview Pt. 2 @ RPG Codex

RPG Codex has the second part of an excellent <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=236560#236560" target="_blank">interview</a> with KaiRo from Piranha Bytes on Gothic 3. Here's a sample:<blockquote><em><b>5. The skills have been replaced with "huge amount" of mini-talents that we can use to form our own talents, whatever that means. How does that work? Can you give us some examples? Also, why mini-talents instead of more traditional skills? What's the advantage?</b>
<br>
<br>As gets obvious in the answers above, freedom of action is one of the key-features in all the Gothic games. Yet, concerning the skills, the only freedom the game player had so far was to pick a handful of them and make their numerical value rise to 100% (or higher). The freedom in Gothic 3 goes far beyond that point. In order to achieve a greater diversity, we have introduced the mini-talents, so-called perks. Instead of watching a number rise with each invested learning point, the player can actually decide upon what exactly he wants to learn. One-handed sword fighting is the basic perk he needs to be able to carry a sword without killing himself by mistake. This talent can then be upgraded with perks like quick attack, extra-damage against Orcs, power attack, two swords at once, pierce attack, agile movement, etc.! The chosen combination of perks forms the individual fighting style. As you can see, it all boils down to the term freedom. Funny enough, freedom is not a pervasive element in the game's postwar story.</em></blockquote>The first part can be found <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=131" target="_blank">here</a> and RPG Codex often moves their content, so check <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=132" target="_blank">here</a> if the full article moves.
Post Fri May 19, 2006 9:27 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
12. Any chance of seeing multiple quests solutions? What's Piranha Bytes position on that design element that we haven't seen in the first two games?

OK, now I see why it took so long for the English versions to come out. Must have been lots of work for PB to remove all the multiple quest solutions for the English versions of Gothic I + II.
Post Fri May 19, 2006 9:36 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

They had to; most non-Europeans can't conceive of multiple paths, it's run in and KILLLLLLLLLL everything!!! Europeans are far more subtle.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri May 19, 2006 11:10 pm

Only really Americans love mindless kill kill quests just like the countries kill kill mentalities. Halo Diablo etc kill crap games they love it lol.
Post Fri May 19, 2006 11:46 pm

xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

kill kill kill, day and night, who needs anything more???

look, guest, it's the sign of the antichrist! The Horror! The new pentagram!

AHHH! Ronald is going to kill us all! Run for the hills!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri May 19, 2006 11:59 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Well, actually I was wondering whether...

A) Vault Dweller didn't play any of the previous Gothics or
B) He forgot to include the *wink* smiley on that question or
C) He edited his question afterwards

What's almost funnier than the question though is that Kai answered to it as if it was a normal question to ask. That's like asking George Lucas in an interview before Episode VI (RotJ): Any chance of seeing some lightsaber fights in this one? What's Lucasfilm's position on that screenplay element that we haven't seen in the first two movies?

Umm... what?

Really now, if any games offer up a great many ways to solve quests then it's got to be the Gothics. Maybe Vault Dweller (and Kai, too, if that question was not edited afterwards ) should check out the Gothic II quest database at Mondgesaenge some time (yes, there is an English version of it here).
Post Sat May 20, 2006 12:16 am
VD

quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor

My bad. I did play both games, and I agree that there are many multiple solution quests. I guess my mind was elsewhere when I wrote that question, which has already been edited.
Post Sat May 20, 2006 2:03 am

Dr. A

Great interview! Thanks, Vault Dweller and Dark Underlord.
Post Sat May 20, 2006 12:08 pm

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by VD
quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor

My bad. I did play both games, and I agree that there are many multiple solution quests. I guess my mind was elsewhere when I wrote that question, which has already been edited.

OK, thanks for the clarification .
Post Sat May 20, 2006 12:19 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Re: Gothic 3: Interview Pt. 2 @ RPG Codex

quote:
One-handed sword fighting is the basic perk he needs to be able to carry a sword without killing himself by mistake.

Again, the nameless one seems to have forgotten everything. :(

BTW, I really don't remember Gothic 1 and 2 having much choices when solving quests. E.g., there were no real "Good/Evil" choices (which I hate, so I don't mind). To be precise, solution paths were pretty linear, you could take a quest or decline. Sometimes kill the questgiver, but this wouldn't count as "solving the quest".
Post Sat May 20, 2006 12:20 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Hindukönig
BTW, I really don't remember Gothic 1 and 2 having much choices when solving quests. E.g., there were no real "Good/Evil" choices (which I hate, so I don't mind). To be precise, solution paths were pretty linear, you could take a quest or decline. Sometimes kill the questgiver, but this wouldn't count as "solving the quest".

Again, check Mondgesaenge and then count how often it says 'either... or' in the quest solutions . You'll be surprised how many ways there are to solve a lot of the quests. Just because you didn't find the other solutions when you played the game, does not mean they are not there. Seriously, especially in Gothic II + NotR, almost every single (side) quest can be solved multiple ways. Check it out.
Post Sat May 20, 2006 12:37 pm
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

K, played Gothic 1 eleven times and Gothic 2 seven times or so. Problem is, there most times is a "best" solution, where you get the most XP. So I didn't consider other solutions as real alternatives.
Post Sat May 20, 2006 1:46 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

quote:
Originally posted by Hindukönig
K, played Gothic 1 eleven times and Gothic 2 seven times or so. Problem is, there most times is a "best" solution, where you get the most XP. So I didn't consider other solutions as real alternatives.

wow, that's pretty impressive. Or obsessive...
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat May 20, 2006 2:42 pm

I want to read it, because Gothic 3 is looking great.

But, the less traffic RPG Codex gets the better....
Post Sat May 20, 2006 9:24 pm