View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
jokera_us
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

gothic is killing my computer!! please help

hello

i have recently re-installed gothic on my 2k system. i have dual boot. i had no problems with the game earlier until i bought the radeon 9700pro. i have all the updat3es for the radeon and now im still ppuzzled. whenever i play its fine but as soon as i save and then go to quit my display flashes and my system re-boots. i have posted this request for help on several boards but to no avail. i know this boardd is very resourceful since i came here a couple of years ago.

so please help me out. i would like to beat this game totally wothout making myself a level 200 cheater

my email is
jokera_us@hotmail.com
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:19 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Radeon is a problematic card for gaming.. Every game request it's own settings, to which you have to come in an experimental way (or inquire on the net).
Once you've set it right, it will work perfectly, though.
I have no particular suggestions on how to adjust the driver options, except for to disable all directx extensions beyond dx8.1...
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:36 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I haven't found this to be true at all. I've never had to mess with the 9700 pro at all... it's worked perfectly for me right out of the box. Morrowind, NFS Hot Persuit 2, NOLF 2, NwN, Porsche Unleashed and now Freelancer have all worked without a single hiccup. I don't even know anyone who's had a problem with the 9700 pro... I don't think that problematic is the right word, for me the card has been flawless.
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:08 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
I don't think that problematic is the right word, for me the card has been flawless.

Let's just say you've been lucky. I know too many people with radeon-related problems to convince me otherwise...
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:21 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Well... whatever. I can tell you've never even used the card just by the way you're talking. You're opinion doesn't matter because these aren't problems that you've seen first hand, you're simply repeating things that you've heard.

I'll bet that your friends are either NVIDIA fanboys or those gamer types that can't leave things alone and then need to blame the hardware for their own mistakes.

I'm not lucky. I'm the rule--not the exception. I know two others using the 9700 pro and none of us has had problem one... that's just the way it is. To say that the hottest gaming card on the market is not good for gaming is just a bit on the surreal side don't you think? Especially given that you don't have any personal experience with the card?

Will NVIDIA's next card be the hottest card? Probably--it usually is and when it comes out it'll be great! I probably won't upgrade to that model because the timing was such that my forced upgrade put the 9700 pro in front but I couldn't be happier with my card. I probably won't upgrade again until my computer stops doing what I need it to do, that's what happened last time, but if NVIDIA has the top card on the market at that time then I'm sure I will buy it.

The Moonie-like fanboy mentality really drives me crazy. You've known too many people who've had problems? So what! You've never experienced them yourself. You weren't in control of the situation and you don't have any idea what kind of flaky things they might have done and not mentioned so that they wouldn't look like an idiot.

The 9700 Pro gets rave reviews all across the industry. For you to come out and say the opposite without any personal experience with the card makes your opinion nothing but F.U.D. Until you have had problems with this awesome card personally you're just blowing smoke. No one who's interested in the 9700 Pro should listen to your opinion because you don't know anything about it. You're just spreading second-hand garbage in true fanboy fashion.

The visitors to this forum are asking for help. Stick to the things that you know--rumors won't help them.

BTW--As far as the Gothic question goes, I'm not sure how to fix it. I don't know a single person who's installed Gothic that hasn't had at least some Gothic related issues no matter what card they use. Gothic's range seems to be truly impressive.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:33 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
Well... whatever. I can tell you've never even used the card just by the way you're talking. You're opinion doesn't matter because these aren't problems that you've seen first hand, you're simply repeating things that you've heard.

I'll bet that your friends are either NVIDIA fanboys or those gamer types that can't leave things alone and then need to blame the hardware for their own mistakes.

I'm not lucky. I'm the rule--not the exception. I know two others using the 9700 pro and none of us has had problem one... that's just the way it is. To say that the hottest gaming card on the market is not good for gaming is just a bit on the surreal side don't you think? Especially given that you don't have any personal experience with the card?

Will NVIDIA's next card be the hottest card? Probably -it usually is and when it comes out it'll be great! I probably won't upgrade to that model because the timing was such that my forced upgrade put the 9700 pro in front but I couldn't be happier with my card. I probably won't upgrade again until my computer stops doing what I need it to do, that's what happened last time, but if NVIDIA has the top card on the market at that time then I'm sure I will buy it.

Wooow! This certanly isn't the Gig I remember, since I last talked to her.
Look with how much passion you're talking; it's almost like I insulted you..(?)

Firstly, my nick is not hwfanatic just because I felt like it - hw is shortened for hardware (but you already knew that, didn't you), and if you eversome looked at my profile, you would have noticed that hardware is one of my hobbies. Yes, it's true I have never actually owned a Radeon (or any other ATi card for that matter).. So, what? I keep up with the hardware scene on several thematic sites, on daily basis. I participate i several forums. Therefore, I can freely say, I know my hardware...

My friends, on the other hand, do not, and if they need something pc-related, they would call me. But, as I said, I was never in contact with Radeon, and my friens do have MX-es. And so do I, GeForce2 MX. We are, alltogether, far from being nVidia fans... Having one gcard, doesn't make him a fan of the manufactor!?! I, for once, had Intel Pentium for more than 4 years, and I hated it's every conductor! I'm not all so happy with my MX, either.

And look who's talking with so much experience.. You were only in contact with the best ones. *gee* Have you ever tried some other ATi card? Also, have you tried different series of the same Radeon 9700P? I don't think so...
Aw, does the best always mean the most reliable? Just because Radeon is the fastest, doesn't provide him with the stability, nor the best drivers.
But picking a card is not always about speed. It's about the usage. If you would like a great gaming machine, you would probably take a GeForce 4, and if you are a graphic designer of some sort, you would take one of Radeon cards, and these are widely know facts. Yes, FACTS! NVidia provides the speed with minimal human engagement, and Radeon provides unbelievable image quality of 3D as well as 2D (this is because of the better PCBs), but some tweaking is needed; this is something, that will, no doubt, fade with never drivers.

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
The Moonie-like fanboy mentality really drives me crazy. You've known too many people who've had problems? So what! You've never experienced them yourself. You weren't in control of the situation and you don't have any idea what kind of flaky things they might have done and not mentioned so that they wouldn't look like an idiot.

The 9700 Pro gets rave reviews all across the industry. For you to come out and say the opposite without any personal experience with the card makes your opinion nothing but F.U.D. Until you have had problems with this awesome card personally you're just blowing smoke. No one who's interested in the 9700 Pro should listen to your opinion because you don't know anything about it. You're just spreading second-hand garbage in true fanboy fashion.

Well, that's just your problem. And, I would like to know what a F.U.D. is...
But, as you probably missed to see, I was speaking in general, because I don't know every single Radeon type. My words might be smoke, but they are corroborated with other people experiences. The last thing I ever wanted to do is to be speaking tales. You know, the utter purpose of my reply was to help, believe it or not...

My deepest apologies to the moderators. As for the original question, my opinion is that turning the directx9 features (9700 is dx9 compatibile, that far I know) off might help. This is a universal solution... That is, if you have dx9 installed.

quote:
Originally posted by Gig
The visitors to this forum are asking for help. Stick to the things that you know--rumors won't help them.

I surely will...
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:57 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Keep calm, people.

I have an elderly GeForce 4 and my hubby's private computer sports a Radeon 9700. We both have/had problems with our cards with certain games - I usually have lots of issues with clipping and shadows while he usually has problems with getting a game to run at all. Driver-related issues I'd say. Both cards have their problems, which is why my hubby (who's a hardware dealer) prefers our Xbox for gaming while I don't care much about graphics problems unless they are totally crippling (I mean, I survived for years using the infernal Matrox Mystique/Voodoo 5 combo, and do you know why? I didn't want to get rid of my beloved Mystique just because it had this Joker symbol ).

Everybody calm now?

@ jokera_us: My Gothic hardware troubles including full resets were mainboard- and power source-related only. Could it be the Radeon is leeching more power than the video card you had before? In this case you might try to overclock VCore voltage by 0.5.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:47 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Hey, donīt use the words 'problems' and 'Voodoo5' in one sentence! I really liked this card. Never had much trouble with it.

HWFanatic, you should really try one of the newer ATI cards. Youīll be surprised how much better than the NVidia cards they are (for everything except Gothic II).
The drivers are improving quickly.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:53 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Hey, donīt use the words 'problems' and 'Voodoo5' in one sentence! I really liked this card. Never had much trouble with it.

Not the card was problematic, the combination was.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:31 pm
jokera_us
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

wow!!

i didnt want this to become a flame post.

as to the over-clocking the core i would rather not do that. so i may have top go out and get a bigger p-supply. ive had both cards the nvidia stuff and the others. ive installed dx9 so i dont really know how much of the deactivating i can do.

as ive said before the only problem i have is with the exiting the program. everything (except for some clipping on high res) is the problem. so thank you again for all your guys help.

i will look at the power and then the dx stuff

steven
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:12 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Good luck, Steven. You're right, overclocking VCore voltage can shorten the mainboard's life, so I would recommend that only if you're really desperate, and if the only problem is at exiting Gothic chances are good that power isn't your problem (my crashes/resets weren't exit-related... the comp usually died after a few minutes of gaming). The safest path would be to fiddle with the Radeon's settings first.
Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:23 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I'm sorry HWF... I was bad and I don't know why!

I'm just so sick and tired of hearing how awful a card the 9700 is when I haven't had a single problem. All my games run smooth, no tweaking necessary. Still, I'm constantly hearing from LL what a terrible choice I made with this card. I know that he (LL) has frustration issues because the FX card isn't what NVIDIA promised and he feels slighted. This whole thing kind of put my mind to that.

When I mentioned that I thought you were maybe a little unfair to the 9700 by saying Jokera_us' problem was caused by the card and not possibly one of Gothic's myriad bugaboos I mistook your response. I interpreted the "You were lucky, I've known too many people" thing as a brush off. Sort of a "Yes very nice, now go play" kind of thing. It kind of hurt my feelings and I made a post I shouldn't have made!

I'm so sorry! You're so sweet and so nice and you didn't deserve to have me take out my own frustrations on you!

I have no idea how to say I'm sorry enough... I feel really, really bad and I feel terribly guilty... and I'm just so sorry!
Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:15 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Happy END. indeed nvidia or ati they both aint that perfect i have them both my Gforce MX dosent run new games anymore and my ATI Radeon 9000 dosent run Max benchmark 2003 cos it dosent have stencil buffer and also in games sometimes are texture problems donno why for sure
Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:36 pm