Usergroups
Video Card Recommendations...?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Diivox
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Im buying a new video card next week and this is the game im primarily trying to play with it. I have a P3 1ghz with 128 MB of RAM, and I need a PCI card. I wanted a 32 MB card, and I dont care if its slightly expensive so long as I know its compatible with this game (well others is nice too). Any recommendations? I read the other post down the way about it recommending a DDR but someone told me thats a bad idea for an Intel processor.

any ideas are appreciated.

Div

Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 9:12 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

There is no good PCI card for games because PCI is too slow.
If you want to play newest games without slowdowns, you must change to motherboard with AGP slot
It means when you buy expensive card for PCI slot (there is not much of them), you will throw your money throught window) >> your expensive card will do many things but it will not be able to transfer them throught PCI bus.
Also upgrade to 256 MB of ram.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-01-20 03:47 ]
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 9:45 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You have several upgrade options, but none is really good.

Danicek is of course right with the things he wrote.

First of all, you NEED more RAM. 256 MB is okay, 384 MB better. Donīt even think about playing Gothic with 128MB.

The DDR thing you mentioned is correct for system RAM. Intel P3 + DDR makes no sense, AMD + DDR is great.

If you go for a nVidia based card go for nothing less than a GeForce2 Pro or Ti with 64MB. All these cards have DDR memory.

The options I see are:
1.stick with the stuff you have and upgrade it one last time. Upgrade your RAM and buy a Voodoo5 5500 PCI on ebay. You can play Gothic @1024*768*32 with 2xFSAA at or close to the max. frame rate. The Voodoo5 is very fast for Unreal Tournament and the best card for Ultima Ascension. Itīs a lot faster than a GeForce2 MX.

2.the same, with a nVidia based card. You need at least a GeForce2 Pro to be considerably faster than a Voodoo5.

3.ebay your mainboard, get a new Intel based board, RAM and whatever agp card you want. The cheapest Tualatin compatible board should be okay.

4.If you have a slot1 cpu, ebay also your cpu. You will get enough money for it to change to a faster AMD, because itīs the maximum cpu-upgrade for millions of mainboards out there.

5.see 4, change to AMD+DDR no matter if your cpu is slot or socket.
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:32 am
propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I recommend you to get a 266a motherboard chipset to power up amd xp along with ddr memory....i use to use a 133 but the speed on xp is so awfull that I think that via is not going to fix it anytime soon, 266a motherboard works fine. I wont get into details but if you want your rigg to last, got for the set up i mentioned....prefferrably asus or epox.......the other boards even the soyo dragon has some issues with ati video cards in one form or another....512 mb memory is the way to go for gothic
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 1:39 pm

A 32mb Nvidia GeForce 3 PCI runs Gothic easy. With everything maxed except resolution, 1024x768 is about the most you can do. My Fiance has a PIII 1.0ghz with 256meg of SDRAM and it runs almost flawless.
So yeap.. It'll run like molasses if you try to do it with 128mb of RAM. But yeap AMD Athlon +DDR ... Good stuff.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 6:16 am

Oakhammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I agree that PCI is going to be a thing of the past as far as plugging Video Cards into them. But to say that there are no PCI cards on the market today that will-not work with Gothic, well........just isnt true! lol.

There are plenty of GeForce Chipsets out there locked cocked and ready to rock in a PCI Buss. As far as voodoo goes drop that idea geforce rocks voodoos world.

Here is what I use and got the card for under 100 dollars at Comp USA.

Xtasy Geforce2 MX400 64MB Ram.

Runs Gothic with no problems. I also have 256MB RAM and would suggest that you upgrade to atleast this as well.
Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 5:34 pm