Character Classes in KOTOR II
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Knights of the Old Republic

Author Thread
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Character Classes in KOTOR II

I just read that in KOTOR 2 players will begin the game as one of the three Jedi levels. I don't think I like that. Having the ability to gain the benefits of one of the three non-Jedi classes and then gain the benefits of a Jedi classification is IMO one of the most fun parts of the game. I think changing it will hurt. Here is why.

My favorite was to tactic was to begin the game as a soldier. I would gain the combat-based benefits of being a soldier, and then switch to a consular and gain the benefits of being strongest in the force, yet still be powerful with the lightsaber. Combining classes early allowed for the creation of many differently balanced and still powerful characters. Moreover it caused you to encounter problems at different points of the game when you replayed it because your character was dramatically different.

The combination above is just my favorite; there are MANY others in KOTOR 1. Forcing gamers to play through the first 20 levels as one of the first tier Jedi Levels takes variation away from the game. When you have to choose a multi-class character such as a scout 4/sentinel 16, you have 42 potential character types. Choosing a Jedi class for the 1st 20 levels cuts potential types to 3. It also makes is harder to offset the weaknesses of a particular class with the strengths of another. Unless there is much play after choosing one of the new classes, that change will take away from replay value.

That's my thought. I would like to know what everyone else thinks.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:16 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I'd say that being jedi-only classes didn't hurt any of the NPCs any for character power or personality. I think since they saw a good portion of people holding off and struggling through Tarsis as level 2 characters so the could be the most level of Jedi possible they may have decided that people like Jedi and want to start as Jedi.

Me, I'd love it if you could import your character and pick up right where the first game left off, dark or light ending accounted for. Alas the way of the true sequel has gone the way of the dinosaur...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:46 am
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I agree that they probably did see a good amount of people delaying leveling past level 2 before they became Jedi. I delayed at 2 once but not always. I found out the hard way that a [any class 2/consular 18] is not much for swordplay. The process of learning that, though, is quite a bit of fun and what replay value is about, getting a different feel when you play the game again and still enjoying yourself.

I would also love it if you could import your character and keep on playing. I think one of the designers said that the KOTOR 1 game engine would not allow that. I find it hard to believe that that is not possible, though. I suspect Lucas will permanently write Revan into the Star Wars mythology and because of that is limiting what others can do with Revan.

I know Revan will appear in the game. We will be able to tell the new game what happened in first game. I wonder if they will let us tell the game what Revan looks like. In my head I have a clear picture of Revan, based on my character. I would hate for someone to mess that up.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:11 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

With the possibility of six prestige classes, I don't think character development is limited.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:48 pm
Darrius Cole
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Yeah, that actually creates the possibility for more combinations than the first game. I just hope that the opportunity to cross classes does not come to late in the game.

Has anyone heard anything about a removal of the level cap for this game?
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:01 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Not that I've heard. Everything I've read so far makes me think that level 20 will be the highest you can go.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:15 pm