Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
To be a lil retro or old school, did anyone play MUD's?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

To be a lil retro or old school, did anyone play MUD's?

One of my first experiences with RPG's was a really lousy game.. Dungeons and Dragons or was it Dungeonmaster.. anyway the graphics was lame and when you walked forward it wasnt animated you just got to a new screen of a tunnel and sometimes there was a spider or something in your way..
always in a dungeon never being outdoors was kind of claustrofobic.

But then my next meeting with the RPG world were to be on the net. and the graphics wasnt even there. a friend of mine had heard about something called MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) and he didnt have internet so he asked me to search for it and check it out for him. After him nagging on me for like 3 months i finally got around to do so.. on my 28.8 modem i found one called "Isengard" and i tried it out.. tried a few others also but the were complex and you had to eat and drink frequently on some. Isengard was the one that rocked my world.

This text-based online RPG was more than i ever hoped for.. and lethal too.. i was so stuck i had to force myself to meet my friends.. all i wanted to do was play this MUD, all the time! fighting all the fantasy creatures from tolkiens books and doing quests with friends was such a cool world you could flee into. the speed you had with only text was great. leveling didnt take forever and you could walk great distances in a short time once you knew how to go and was good enough. i havent played it for like 2 or more years now but i still have a picture in my head of how the land looked like.

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
And according to Lintra it is contagious

Quote from Val to Jericho: "You're an evil little cat, you know that."
Quote from Dhruin: "*Sigh* If only I was as perfect as Jericho"
Quote from Mr Roach: "We all wish we were perfect as Jericho"
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:31 am
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Nope

My first ever RPG was a really ancient one..ehh ok not really, it was NWN

I am now going backwards to Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment, and probably Baldurs GAte II as well to see what I missed (as well as comninuing through ARx Fatalis still).

I normally saw "RPG" and ran away screaming before, in fact if there hadn't been such a dip in the FPS market when NWN came out I probably would never had tried RPGs at all.

Everyone says NWN is nowhere near as good as some of these older classics, if thats true I may well be addicted. I always enjoyed long, deep, and diverse games, and to be honest the FPs market these days is NOT giving me my fix.

Deus Ex really spoiled me, since it was so great, after playing it, all other FPs games have seemed very shallow and lame by comparison.

I really hope these old RPGs are good, I cant say how long its been since I got trully addicted to a game, will be nice to find something that rocks again

Maybe I am destined to become an RPG addict after all?
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:51 am
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

Hehe.. it is never too late to start playing RPG's .. personally i often dont like games like NWN and Baldurs Gate.. i seem to have a little problem personalizing with the characters.. i used to like 1rst person games where you just saw the weapon but after a GREAT experience with Gothic i seem to drift to 3rd person games..
I must say FPS and RPG starts to blend in more and more.. like No One Lives Forever 2.. it has a little RPG in it in the sense that you get better and can choose what you want to be good at.. and gothic is a RPG wich i find a little similar to FPS game Jedi Knight 2..
What im coming to is im REALLY looking forward to Gothic 2.. but still the RPG-element (the feeling that you get better and you strive to be the best) for me was first borned on a MUD

Never argue with the insane. They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:00 am
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

OMG You said bad things about Baldurs Gate II???

LOL ok now you have thrown me, I cant seem to get hold of my original coices Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment, so I was about to bite the bullet and buy Baldurs Gate II since everyone on earth seemed to think it was the best RPG ever....now you have caused me falter again!!!

The graphics looked quite nice for a 2d style RPG , and if the gameplay was as diverse and immersive as I have heard then I guessed I would get over any graphical ummm ahhs pretty quick.. now I am back to will I wont i, should I shouldn't I, again

Hmmhmhm well its £13 just so I suppose I could try it.

I definately am not getting Gothic though, what I read about the control system put me off entirely, maybe Gothic II iif they fix that, but what I read is something no amount of gameplay could get me over.

Hmhmhmhmh ohh well more ponering then I guess
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:23 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

pft! I had the control system of Gothic memorized in 5 minutes.

I liked BG2. It had some truely choice moments. Jan Jansen was hilarious!
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:32 am
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Well I bit the bullet, and I got lucky.

I got Balders Gate II, the shelf price was £13.99, but whne he rang it through the till, it came up as £5.99 so i got the Balders Gate II boxset for £5.99.

Only one way to find out if RPGs is for me
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:20 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Heh, looks like you've just recieved a favorable sign.
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:33 pm
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yeah..I saved a few £ on the game.... and lost a LOT of £££ when my monitor decided it was time to die.

Thsi now completes a month in which I have had to replace evry componant in my machine, including the powrer pack, and now sodding monitor which I will have to wait for friday to get the new one

Make me believe in god...and hate him at the same time LOL

Irony , Irony, gotta love the irony.

It will work for 30 mins at a time, then I have to turn it off for an hour and back on for 30 mins

*sigh* Why do I like computers again????
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:44 pm
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

You dont like computers.. you like sitting in front of them playing.. or hangin out here.. computers are expensive pieces of high-tech material that breaks way to easy and after a couple of months they are not high-tech anymore but breaks even easier.

Ps. I also want a power-pack in my comp

Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:45 am
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

I played MUDs on and off for nearly seven years. Some of my favorite Muds were Avendar and the Edge of Darkness. The Edge of Darkness had an incredibly immersive, humongous world with intriguing, original areas. It had several unsolved mysteries, and certain areas which are harder to explore for certain classes. (example: the thieves guild was very hard to explore unless you were a thief with disarm traps and sneaking/hiding skills). Also, it was one of the most difficult muds I've ever played. The levels take forever to gain, and many of the creatures took 10+ players to kill. But it was tremendous fun, and very challenging. And besides, the best part of the game was when you were the max level, so you could go out and fight those 10+ people mobs and explore all of the magnificent, surrealistically beautiful areas. Many of the areas took 5+ years to build, so it certainly was fantastic. I eventually left that game because the immortals become corrupt, I was sick of dealing with mean players, and in general, things were going downhill.

As far as Avendar goes, it had a very fascinating skill/magic system, where certain spells would require runes drawn with charcoal or blood to complete. Other spells required multiple casters to perform, and still others required charging time in order to gain a good impact. Druids, now that I think of it, had spells which varied depending on the time of day or phase of the moon. They also had several skills which required you to be in different animal forms to perform. Swordmasters would gain the ability to train in fighting styles (or forms), which they could assume during combat at the cost of mana per combat round.

The most original thing I can say about their system is about the scholars:

Scholars were a type of mage. They could choose six spheres to study from, which included: Spirit, Void, Fire, Water, Earth, Air. First, to create a scholar, you would choose a "major sphere". Then, you chose a "minor sphere" out of the same six choices. If you chose fire for your major sphere and spirit for your minor sphere, you would gain most of your powerful spells from the fire sphere, and a few spells from the spirit sphere. Also, you could choose both spheres as the same element, ie a Fire Major/Fire Minor character. If you chose both spheres, you would gain access to the "greater" spells of that sphere, spells which were inaccessible to regular fire scholars. When I left that MUD, they were instituting a system whereby certain sphere combinations would gain spells which were a mixture of more than one element. IE: a Fire/Earth Scholar might gain some sort of volcano spell or something. Avendar, in my mind, is still one of the best MUDs I have played. However, it just got boring after awhile...it didn't have the same personal touch that Edge did. The areas didn't affect me as emotionally...which is really a pity.
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:15 pm
Jericho
Chicken?
Chicken?

Thats cool..
I really liked playing MUD but it was a bit dangerous since you get addicted.. But the gaming is awesome.. great speed, huge worlds, lots of quests that can change easily.. Nice teamplaying capabilities and other systems for pkilling..
There will never be like the old days again.. Today everything slightly online has to have a monthly fee.. That really bugs me.

A game should cost to buy but be free to play IMO.
Maybe it's time for me to log on to isengard.nazgul.com port: 4040
and check out my old chars that still are there after not playing for like 3 years

Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:34 am