got my copy, YAY!. Still bugging though, sniff
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

got my copy, YAY!. Still bugging though, sniff

Just got my preordered game in today, must say I'm pleased. Interface works and the game runs well with my rig, 1024*968, 64MB textures and everything mazed out. Just some occasional freezing problems that freeze the whole computer...
Got the newest patch and still it hangs my system every one hour. From reading the official forums, I'm not even unlucky, as some don't even get past the install screen
Not bitching, though. The game runs long enough to be playable, just quicksave a lot Better than MW in the beginning..

One thing came into my mind. BW said they are having issues with SecureROM. Kind of reminds me of Morrowind. I got the NoCD patch for MW right when I started, don't like to use original CDs, either no-CD with full install or a backup of the game CD. Maybe NWN could benefit from the same move.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:43 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I hear many stories about there being problems with the game. I must say I haven't had a single game crash since I had it, and I played lots! So these problems must be configuration related... What are your specs? Maybe someone here can help you out?
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:30 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

i havent had any crashes, no problems, no nothing, BUT ONE:
sometimes after i save or load all my ability modifyers and attack bonuses will DROP and be useless... nothing affected me, no spell, no nothing.. its odd.... but al i gotta do is exit to desktop and restart and reload.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:39 pm
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

here come the specs:
1,4Ghz Athlon
MSI K7 Master (AMD 761 Host bridge)
Gainward Golden Sample GF2 GTS 64MB
SB Live Value
Plextor CDRW 161040A

nothing is overclocked, latest NV drivers and the newest patch for NWN

As I said, it's not crashing all the time. I experienced maybe 5 crashes in the game, two changing areas, a couple of alt-tabbing (not while loading or saving, which has said to cause problems) and one just generally walking around city core) The crash while just walking had some strange pre-effects, when I tried to examine anything, the examine screen went white. When I zoned, the problem dissappeared but then, after a few minutes the game froze. I'm going to report this to Interplay to see if they can say anything useful

Maybe it's just some random instability, which will be fixed in the upcoming patches.

Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:41 pm
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Whql...

Make sure the drivers you got from NVidia have been MS certified if not find(on their site somewhere) the latest MS certified version. You seem like a skilled user but some common things to check would be: is virus software running, how about any other apps in the background? Your System Tray, lower right, should be almost empty. Also, you didn't mention or I missed what your OS is? You should be using 2K or XP as ME and 98 are crash prone. Let me know what OS your running.. Just for fun upgrade you might upgrade your motherboard bios and maybe your plextor bios to if they have upgrades available. Most Mobo upgrades are pretty easy anymore but don't try it unless it seems simple to you. Good luck!
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:58 am
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

I get random system freezing, only a couple times so far, and generally when I am quitting the game, strangely enough. (perhaps once from alt-tabbing making me decide not to do that)

Nothing big enough to really phase me, though.

-vaticide
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:59 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I've suffered a few nuclear meltdown lock up the computer crashes, mostly playing online ... changing armor has done it a few times. Sometimes I take the server with me. Weird, but not very frequent.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:12 am
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I think I’ve had two crashes so far in the game while the tools have some memory errors once in a while and reboot my system. So I save often.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:20 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm using 98 SE. I had a good variety of apps running in the background, that could have been the cause of the problems. My BIOS should be up to date, as I patched it this summer due to other problems with the natural tweaks (AGP Fast write, etc).

I won't be changing my OS, don't want to waste any more money on Windows products. As I have Linux on my system too, I'll propably play from there when the client is released. And up to this day, I've managed to keep my W98 box really stable with constant care are cleaning. It has been on the machine for almost a year, probably time for clean reinstall soon if these problems start appearing in other games/apps. I don't even remember the last time I had problems with my rig...

I'm going to try running the game with minimal background action tomorrow. Today I'll propably get home too late and too drunk to try anything remotely intelligent (damn these company-paid drinkin/sauna-nights ) Payday too, I fear that the party here will get pretty ugly

Still, I'm not complaining much, as this doesn't ruin the experience, only breaks it once in a while. Actually the final crash yesterday evening probably helped me, as I finally decided to go to bed..

BTW, when I submitted these crashes along with my specs to Interplay support, I got a personal reply today! Really good customer support, I say. Often I get no replies at all or maybe a generated reply comes months after I reported. To note, I never flame the support and always behave really nice. I've been a support guy myself so I know what they have to put up with sometimes...

Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:42 am
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Really Odd...

No crashes here at all...it runs perfectly.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:23 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by mDrop
BTW, when I submitted these crashes along with my specs to Interplay support, I got a personal reply today! Really good customer support, I say. Often I get no replies at all or maybe a generated reply comes months after I reported. To note, I never flame the support and always behave really nice. I've been a support guy myself so I know what they have to put up with sometimes...

erm... I hope you mean Infogrames, because if you sent a request to Interplay I'm sure the answer wasn't very helpful hehe!

By the way, I think I saw something on Bioware's site about them having released the Linux server client today. Are you sure the Linux client is not allready available for download?
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:24 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, I encountered a really annoying bug today. I can't go to Helm Hold (end of chapter 1) if my game is patched to version 1.18 or 1.19. The game just crashes on the loading screen. I had to go back to version 1.10 before it worked. Has anyone experienced this to?
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:14 pm
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

D-oh. Infogrames ofcourse
Followed the link from NWN community pages...

The linux server has been released, but the client is still in development. Don't mind though, as long as it will be released at some point. I'm trying to get rid of W98, but I have to keep it mainly because of gaming. Got some other software that I can't replace in Linux, but I think I'll manage or find something to compensate for them..

I'll report tomorrow when I get back home and get to try it with minimum background activity..

Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:48 pm
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

Okay, I've been playing it whole afternoon with most of my background apps disabled (only firewall running) and I've experienced no crashing, so it's stable. Haven't tried much multiplayer yet, though...

Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:56 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Nice to hear!

Oh, but don't hold your breath too much about mutiplayer if you updated with patch 1.19. There are multi-player issues with the patch, and lots of people are seeing more crashes since the patch...
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:47 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next