Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
CVG Gives Gothic 74/100!! :0
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Wizardry 8 sorta has the whole alive atmostfear, with people moving around (well some). But Gothic beats that and most other rpgs the the ground if ya ask me. Only rpg i feel is better is Dark Age of Camalot, but thats only cos im a sucker for MMORPGs
Post Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:59 pm

Wizardry 8 sucks ass. Worst game I ever played since Pong.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 3:23 am

propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Shut up all of you guys!!!! Just shut up! How could you count on a reviewer when they rate "The Sims" higher than gothic?
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 5:52 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Perhaps they think that Sims are better than Gohtic...
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:17 am
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Firstly, I agree that Gothic is a top game, probably the top game "at the moment" for us RPG players.
We have to conceed that we are a bit of a minority when it comes to the gaming scene.
Mags like PCZone and PCGamer (IMO) cater more for the action / FPS crowd. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe they find RPG's like Gothic a bit slow for their tastes.
A 50% score is average and anything above that is a bonus. I don't personally pay too much heed to an RPG review in such mags...I try to play the demo and make my own mind up.
RPG's are a bit thin on the ground, because, as was said, you need emotion and atmos. I like to relate to my character(s) and "feel" for them. If they die, you get a sense of loss.
To get the "recipe" for an RPG, takes a lot more programming and AI interaction, than for a FPS, hence not tht many.
Story is important..very.
I can't remember when "the charts" had a few RPG's in the top ten slot.
The RPG market is probaably a lot smaller (money..money) than an FPS, Sport etc;
Therefore, not a lot of BG clones.
Gotta go..work time.
What I would like (not feasible again due to small audience)is dedicated PC RPG mag...nearest I can find is Strategy Player.

Keep gaming.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:16 am
Gilkane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My only comment on reviews is that I never listen to movie or book reviews, because bluntly most of them have no life and never get out and wear cloths that are 10-20 years out of style...oh ya..sure...you have an clue what is good and isn't...you can't even dress current...And to rebuttle Anonymous those not so new things show up in Baldur's Gate, and all the "90's/100" too...Gothic is like any classic, misunderstood by the masses, and mocked by the unknowning....We must remember that this is the same group that sang the glory of Madden2000 as being inovative and ahead of its time...come on its a damn football game, how inovated can it be...
Post Wed Jan 30, 2002 9:24 pm

I will happily concede that only Gothic brings 'all those points' to the 3D third person action/rpg genre. Gothic is great at what it does. However, I stand by my original point of it not bringing truly new and innovative ideas to the Roleplaying genre.

More accurately it IMPLEMENTS those ideas excellently in a 3D world. And while it's not the first '3D' game to implement all these points (Daggerfall had all these features and a bag of chips over Gothic), Gothic has an ease of play and a lower learning curve (and about a billion less bugs) that sets it apart. You CANNOT screw up your character in Gothic (if you've ever played any RPG). Unless you spend every point in mana and never learn a single circle of magic... but I maintain that if you do that, it was deliberate. Even then... it caps out at 100 and you HAVE to take a useful skill if you spend your character points... so in the end, you'll still beat the game.

Gothic is a great game. I didn't think I'd ever have so much fun with a 3rd person RPG. It's a refreshing change from the 3/4 top down style, and it left me wanting more. This means it SUCCEEDED at what it set out to do. I test and play a lot of RPG... most make the Wall of Shame. I completed Gothic almost without blinking. It was that good.

As I player I give it 90% at least. But as a souless RPG fanatic critic I could hack it up if I tried really hard. But then... nothing is critic proof.

And I make a lot of posts, but I just prefer Anon. Which leaves me open to people with a grudge logging on and 'claiming' they're me specifically among the anon. But hey... if that's how they get their giggles...

EverythingXen

Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:22 pm

Oh yeah... I should change the first paragraph to read 'SO FAR only Gothic...'. Others will follow as people are getting bored of the 3/4 down (I still like it, but I freely admit that if I had a PX XXXX system with XXX megs of RAM and a several hundred buck video card, I'd want more than 3/4 down too). Morrowmind for example. But Gothic beat them to the punch, and now people will compare Morrowmind to Gothic instead of Gothic to Morrowmind. Thus, Gothic 1 Morrowmind 0.

If Morrowmind is released with even a fraction of the bugs Daggerfall was it will be Gothic 2 Morrowmind 0 soon enough.

Gothic was in the right place at the right time and I'm glad. Because the game is much more deserving of attention than it's gotten.

EverythingXen
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:34 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Better Reviews: More will buy it
More buy it: More money for Piranha Bytes
More Money for Piranha Bytes: Better Sequel

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat Feb 02, 2002 1:15 pm
RingWrath
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

ah yes.
/wonders how much money pb will make off reveiws, surley not that much... im sure they have enuff any way.

- Se7en
Post Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:02 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2