Gaming internet connection
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Gaming internet connection

Now this is probably the wrong forum but it is general gaming related, albeit, technical.

This forum seems to have a good number of hits anyway.

My question is about Broadband. With Broadband, you are online all the time. Is that so?? I have AOL and have to logon to access the web.

A friend of mine asked why I had AOL running in order to play online games.............??

I couldnt really answer him, so I tried running WoW without aol enabled and got a no connection message.

Anyone out there with a more modern outlook on life please explain to me which is correct / acceptable??

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Sun May 22, 2005 7:02 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm no tech expert, but I think that cable/dsl is the physical connection. i.e. the pipe (wire realy) that goes from your PC to the internet. You also need a gateway which is where your measages, after traveling through the pipe, get sorted and set to the internet, and where incoming measages are sorted out from other PC's measages and sent to your PC. So there is a physical connection to the internet, and there is a software connection to the internet (AOL is the software). Without AOL running your computer doesnt know where the physical connection is: without the physical connection AOL doesnt know where the internet is.

There are other providers of the gateway other than AOL. They all have some form of software on you computer that must run to have the connection. Most of them, but not AOL, can run 'invisible' to the user in the back ground because they rely on Windows as the software. This often leads to confuse with folks who have broadband without AOL, because, they dont see anything running on thier systems (although there is), but they come and see your system and wonder why AOL must be there.

As far as I know there is no way to use AOL gateway without having AOL running with all its features in the background. While having it loaded shouldn't cause a noticable slowdown in internet access, AOL taking up space in RAM and CPU time might cause local slow downs in games.

It's been a long time since I thought about all this hardware/software stuff, but hopefuly it will answer your question well enough untill a realy techy gets on.
LB
Post Sun May 22, 2005 7:40 pm
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Thanks LB, that was knda how I looked at it.

I used to be quite a techy 25 years ago, but gave it up for management (duh).

Things have obviously changed since then and a little doubt does creep into what you thought you used to know (!?!?).

Anyway LB, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Sun May 22, 2005 7:59 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

It all depends on your ISP and what they require for you to gain access to the net through them. With my ISP, I do not need any third party software to connect. It's all handled by my hardware and Windows. I can hook up practically any computer to my router and gain access to the net without installing any software or having to "log in". I prefer it that way.
Post Tue May 24, 2005 6:52 pm