Went to buy game but........
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
deano968
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Went to buy game but........

Went to get Wizardry 8 from my local game store today, they have it there for 9.99 so i took the box to the counter at which point the guy in the shop gets the cd's and starts putting them in the box, where's the manual i said, it doesn't come with a manual he says because its on budget! So i didn't buy it, i want this game but not without a manual that i can sit down and read. If i buy it does anyone know where i can get a manual from? Thanks in advance.
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:01 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

with special thanks to _gator:

"The PDF manual should be on disk 1 for those who buy the $19.99 version. If someone still cannot find it, it can be obtained at www.replacementdocs.com.

Here is the direct link:

http://www.replacementdocs.com/docs/PC/Wizardry%208%20-%20Manual.pdf "
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:53 pm
deano968
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for that, i have downloaded it, however the quality is not very good and i would like the paper manual so that i can sit down, relax and read it rather that having to sit at my PC and read it. If i go and buy the game is there anywhere that i can buy the paper manual from? Cheers!
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:51 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Short of finding one of the original release boxes (which were the older US standard size), I think you might be out of luck.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the PDF version? Is is not a direct word-for-word transfer? There's not much way around not having hardcopy unless you want to print the whole thing out (with 132 pages 8.5" x 5.5", that's a serious print job).
Post Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:09 pm
deano968
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

As i said i would like the paper version because i find it easier reading, i can slouch out on the settee and read to my hearts content rather than having to sit at my PC reading it, also its easier for reference when playing the game. The PDF one that i downloaded looks as if its just been scanned in and the quality is a little poor, do you know of a better quality one ie one done by Sirtech? Thanks!
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:22 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Well, disk 1 of the game is supposed to have a PDF manual, but it might be the same "scanned version". In fact, it most likely is the same file. Only thing I can tell you is to print it out. I checked over at another board I used to visit before the game was even released, and they offer the same advice.

The bottom of the barrel would be to look for an older copy of the game at a place like eBay. Beyond that, I'm out of ideas. Sorry I couldn't solve the problem for you.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:11 pm
deano968
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, thanks very much for the input, think i'll write the PDF file to CD and take it to work to print it off, use their paper and ink as its rather large Thanks again!
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:46 pm
jaxon121
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

deano, not sure if you already bought the game w/out a manual... but I bought Wiz8 about a week and a half ago from Electronics Boutique for $19.99, manual included. I think it's possible that the store you saw it at for only $9.99 is selling it at that price because it's an open/incomplete package. And yes, I bought it with the newer (smaller) packaging, not the old gigantor package. (Thank heavens they stopped putting PC games in such insanely huge boxes... it's just 1-4 CDs and a booklet, for chrissakes!!)

So maybe if you hunt around and stick with bigger chain stores, not mom-and-pop stores, you might find a complete product w/manual. If you already bought the thing... sorry I'm late with the info (didn't see the thread till now), and maybe this info will help others who run into the same issue. Happy hunting!
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:58 am
deano968
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks very much for the info but the store that i went to was a former electronics boutique, in the UK all EB stores are now called "GAME", well i think they all are! I'm still on the look out for the game with a manual. How are you getting on with the game Jaxon? Are you liking it?
Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:46 pm
jaxon121
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Absolutely love the game! Hope you feel the same way, even minus the manual. I'm still lvl5 (check out my other posts) but have several skills in the 80's... I'm trying to max most of my primary combat skills before I click the level-up button. =P

As many others have pointed out, I really love the flexibility of this game. You can get by with almost any party, with many different playing styles. Makes it very fun and you don't have to worry about starting all over when you're 20 hours into the game and realize that a given skill or character class is a must-have.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:48 pm
misplacedag
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Re: Went to buy game but........

[quote="deano968"]Went to get Wizardry 8 from my local game store today, they have it there for 9.99....

It's a great game to begin with. If you can get it for 9.99 that's even better. I would assume you have played other D&D type of RPGs. Thus, you don't really need the manual. I took my disk 1 and printed out the manual on a laser printer at work. I started reading it and was highly under-impressed, so I switched to OJT and started one game with my only purpose being to learn the mechanics of the game. I picked 6 of the pre-generated characters, played for two or three hours, and then restarted from scratch building my own set of RPCs.

I only needed to look something up in the manual one time, and then I still couldn't find out how to do what I wanted to do -- drop a character and create a new one. Then I accidently stumbled into how to do it later when I was trying to change a character's voice.

I think you can learn a lot more by printing and reading many of the longer threads on this and other boards than you will ever learn from reading the manual.
Post Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:00 pm
deano968
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for all the input folks! I've now got Wizardry 8 and I'm loving it! I'm still in the early stages of the game and still experimenting with it. I've been playing RPG's for some years now and I'd have to say that Wizardry 8 is the best by a long long way. I've printed out the manual along with various useful threads from the forums and I'm absolutley loving it. Huge credits should go to Sirtech for producing such an excellent old school RPG that so many of us love, other developers could learn a thing or two from Wizardry 8, there are too few games like this around. I think I'll be playing this for a long time to come, its without a doubt a classic! Hope Sirtech bring out a Wizardry 9, now wouldn't that be something?
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:25 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Yes, it most certainly would be.
Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:34 pm