RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

quote:

On 2002-01-20 09:19, pakaraatzi wrote:
Yeah, Blade of Darkness rules!

Yes i liked that demo, and ordered full game, should arrive on monday Maybe it helps while waiting for sequel/addon for Gothic
Post Sun Jan 20, 2002 5:20 pm
Wynne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Multiplayer? Oh, joy... "HHAHAHAHAHAA! LOL I r0xx0r3d ur @$$ n00b! I 0|/|nz M0rr0|/||nD!!!!!!111"

On a serious note, really good multiplayer is pretty rare. You don't get the kind of rewarding co-op play that you'd get in, say, SS2. But even a game like that has the same problem AvP did--there's nothing that can compare to the horror inspired by being alone. I'll never forget what single-player AvP was like, but multiplayer... a big lame deathmatch arena... sucked tremendously. Some games produce a visceral fear that only solitude can provoke. Don't you like playing the lone wolf now and then, even if only for a change?

Either way, Morrowind is going to have thousands (yes, thousands) of unique NPCs each hand-crafted and written with their own stats, inventory, race, class, etc.--they'll basically be as detailed as the PC and have their own personalities.They'll also have actual feelings about your character, so to speak; this will be based on things such as race, what political faction you've joined, whether or not you're a vampire, whether you have a reputation as a criminal, even what kind of clothing you're wearing at the time! (Meaning a noble will ignore you if you're dressed like a vagabond, and peasants will avoid you for a snob if you're clad in fine silks.) They're designing the game to be as fun as multiplayer without any actual multiplayer in it. And, from what I hear, you can hook up. Not in a geeky way or a way such as would satisfy readers of Harlequin romance novels, but as one of the devs said "Find Ms. Right, and she will admire your muscles. 'Nuff said."

I don't think you'll get too lonely with one or two thousand NPCs walking around.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:05 am
DeadAgain
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've been playing Darkened Skye recently and given up on it, for a number of reasons. Anyway here are a few biased and personal viewpoints.

1. It's a fixed path game i.e you can't really explore off the beaten track leading onto...

2. Everything is pre-rendered, yes, very pretty graphics but you look down from a height, you see sod all sometimes... It's a fixed game world.

3. Plays like a console game. You could call it an RPG if you really tried, I loved Gothic because it wasn't that linear, this is.

4. Ok, the main character has got a cute bum wiggle, but after a while it gets bloody irritating.

5. Tries to make up for it's lack of character interaction with sarcastic dialogue which gets boring after a while.

6. It's more of a straight beat em up find the quest items etc etc... oh wait a minute female character... nice graphics... collect stuff... TOMB RAIDER!

Ta.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 8:51 am
Chimera
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, well this may sound a bit sad, but I remember this MUD (multi-user dungeon) called Wolfenburg, set in the warhammer universe... anyway, it had no graphics, it was just text based, and you typed say A to attack, or N to go north. This Wolfenburg city was huge, it had loads of secret areas and monsters, loads of people went around in groups doing quests (Miss. Viola has lost her # and needs it found, or You must find the sword of reckoning before the orcs do) and, banding together, (this was the best part) to kill monsters. This was not just one city, there was also the wilderness, hills, forest, castle, caves, marshes, loads of other stuff... you fought giants, vampires, manticores, antlions, orcs, goblins, mummies, skeletons, ogres, endless others. Some would be almost impossible to kill (it took 30 to kill the giant, until you got to higher levels) but some you could kill by yourself... and the best part, was sometimes they dropped treasure too. You could do anything... go with another character(human player) and make passionate love by the fire... (a female character, obviously) or go into shops, by weapons, armour, horses, ponies, it was just so much fun.... and there were no pictures. The thing that went wrong with it was... after a while, you had to pay. I was a level 12 Elf I think, I had worked so hard to get up there, and then found I had to pay a subscription fee... well since by that time it lagged loads (my old computer I think) I quit it for good. Anyway, the point is, this was all done with the imagination, but it was the best RPG I played.. surely someone can make a better one with graphics too? That is what I hoped for morrowind and gothic... I mean, the technology is there, morrowind uses geforce 3, so surely its possible?
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 9:14 am
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

MMoRPG's unique feature, is that you will find the bard "Luke Skywalker" on the Taverna, talking with the "l33t kiLL@h".

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:40 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3