Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Marvin Help Needed! I Seek For Wulf, Lefty Sent Me :)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
PUmah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Marvin Help Needed! I Seek For Wulf, Lefty Sent Me :)

Hello there ppl, I'm new... and etcetc.

balconygolfTHE_bride from JoWood gothic forum sent me here to seek for a guy named Wulf. Like he got an answer to this

I need a help with the marvin mode. See i like want to create a female hero to play with. So i inserted the "face helper", did everything. Now I only need a decent female voice which i can't really get (or i dunno how). I tried over "edit abilites" option and changed voicepitchs but as far as i know, i sounded like a harpy or as a dragon. that really doesn't work well. heheheh... so plz Wulf, help me!!!
Post Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:23 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hello PUmah, welcome to forums,

I need to know what tools/method you used to create your own pc-hero as this will help decide the best way forward, you'll have to ditch marvin for this type of alteration. The face-helper does not alter anything in the game.
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:13 am
PUmah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

k, I know that f halper doesn't alther the game... but... i also didn't knew its kindof possible...

anyway... i just inserted the damn thing... chose a head mesh, took some face... i think its face 139 or somethin'. thenI abused the all migthy "O" to ... err.. "posses" the Fhelper. with edit abilities i realized i actually CAN change voices (too slooow ). Now the thing I really cant LOCATE any female sounding voicepitch... so ... you know anything about that...

and other... I heard (read) somewhere that someone really MADE his own char, like he used a pic of himself, made his own armor and sword... and someone told me ( i think it the one who sent me here) that i can like even record my own voice and such... so...

i haven't REALLY CREATED anything so far... i'm kinda errrm

so.. ?? any words???
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:59 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Well PUmah,

As i suspected, you havn't yet built a female pc-hero, possessing face helper will not do, furthermore, there is so much involvement doing all of this that it is time consuming, i allways try to help if i can, but in this case, reluctantly, i cannot hold your hand and do a step by step walkthrough, sure it can be done, so here is a very short version of what you would have to do.

1. Locate/download "goman" by pyrox, install/run the program, select and note the files that are spoken by pc-hero. The files are :-

Gothic2\data\speech1.vdf
Gothic2\data\speech2.vdf

2. Locate/download the "vdfs.exe" tool by Nico Bendlin, install and run the program, extract the files from the volumes to a suitable working folder.

3. Search the web for a suitable program that will manipulate the sound files (wav types) there are many types of these voice converters, some you have to do much work with, some will have male to female voice changing facilities, but mainly you will have to 'trial and error' your way through till yuo are satisfied with the results.

4.You will have to replace/swap the desired files with the new ones, then you will need to "compact" the volumes to look like the originals using the builder section of the vdfs.exe tool. Then you will exchange those two volumes mentioned above with your two new ones.

That's only the voice overs, come back when your done, then we may continue with the hard part which is very similar but replacing/rebuilding the volumes with modified (swapped) meshes.

Good luck. (are you sure it is worth all the effort? - could takes months)!
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:32 pm
PUmah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for your help man, but I really don't plan to live that long ...

heheh, no, seriously... i was joking... thanx... i'll see AT LEAST to try this out.

but if that is replacing, wouldn't that change the game or something... or I'm just stupid ??
Post Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:28 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Well PUmah, I tried it and i'm still alive

No, that is the whole point, changing pc-hero appearance and voice as described still keeps the game and storyline etc' as original, thats the beauty of gothic/gothic 2.

However, if you edit the pc-hero, "hero export" .zen file its possible to alter many settings "within the game" - >that is<, without the need to do all of that file/volume rebuilding stuff, there are several threads on these forums that still contain some info's of how to do this.
Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:43 am
PUmah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, thanks in anycase
i think i am willing to give it a try

youre such a

but one more thing... if I do all that... would it completly exchange the existing game hero??? i mean... if i so all that could i take the old original gothic hero back easily .. or he would be like all lost... i hope you understand my not-really-good-expalined question
Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:13 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Not at all PUmah, your question is very clear, i understand because i also went through the same phase once.

If at any time in the game, you enter the command in marvin: hero export :a file will be saved in your gothicII folder ending in *zen* this is an exact copy of the npc or monster that you were in "posession" of, now this includes all atributes, level, xp, weapons, armour, skills, appearance, together with all game tags (where you were up to in the storyline). You could have several zen files provided you named them differently, eg, hero export 1 - hero export 2 or hero export big blonde female.

So now you will realise, doing hero export just at the end of the game, you could for example start a new game and immediately do a hero import 1 and there would be your super hero at the start, it is not possible normally to exchange, but this to me would not be enjoyable.

Better still here is an older thread with similar info's

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=106483

Post Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:07 pm
PUmah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

thnx so much for the help 'n hints 'n info and all...!
ass soon as i got some more freetime i'd throw myslef to work

Post Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:06 am