Can somebody please help?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Guinevere
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Can somebody please help?

hi i am new here and would like to know if anybody could give me suggestions on other games to play. I am an older female who has only really just started playing and I really need something new to play; similiar to Fable but not too difficult. I like the idea of games like where the main character is a woman and where you have to fight dragons etc. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited by Guinevere on Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:08 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums!

As you can see with a brief look at the forum index the Gothics are quite popular here, so almost everybody will recommend them. Be aware that they´re not really newbie friendly, though. Their killer feature is the big immersive world and the NPCs living in it.
KotOR would be good first RPG on PC. It´s a great game which is easy to handle but has a complex RPG system. The combat can be paused anytime, the difficulty level is easy.
Morrowind is pretty hardcore. A giant world to explore but not much focus and only optional story. Of cause a lot of RPGers want exactly that ...

Gothic 2, KotOR and Morrowind are on one level. All 3 games are completely different. It´s a matter of taste. Gothic 2 and Morrowind are niche products, KotOR is mainstream.
Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:46 am
Guinevere
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

new game suggestions

Thanx for getting back to me about my query; I appreciate it

Last edited by Guinevere on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:19 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Hi, if you want a game that's fairly easy and has a female character, I'd suggest Kult. Your biggest problem will be getting a copy, since it has not been released on Australia. I ordered mine from overseas. There's a really good review of it on this site by fellow Aussie Dhruin. PM me if you want details on how to order it. NWN is another possibility. You can have any female character you like and we run an online server where you can play with others online in Persistent Worlds as well as special DM'd sessions. With the two expansions available, or with the all inclusive special editions, this represents fantastic gaming value. If you need any help, don't hesitate to ask.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:58 am
Hexmaster
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I have to agree with Gorath & Corwin.........

Gothic 2, Morrowind + both add-ons (Tribunal & Bloodmoon) & Neverwinter Nights + add-ons.

Obviously, having played fable, you have an Xbox. A friend of mine picked up the Morrowind game of the year edition which includes both expansions, for the Xbox for about £15 from amazon.co.uk

There is also Vampire the Masquerade, very recent and has received mixed reviews....no dragons i'm afraid but you can play as a girly.

In my opinion, there has been a drowt within the rpg games fraternity this year and I have been replaying some classics such as Baldurs Gate II, Fallout and Knights of the Old Republic (star wars).

If you pressed me to choose just one of the above, it would have to be Morrowind.....

Corwin, Where can I locate the NWN site you mentioned...sounds good.

Regards,

Hexmaster
Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:57 pm
corwin

If you check out the first section of our Forums, you'll see one called NWN Server. All the details are there!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:41 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
As you can see with a brief look at the forum index the Gothics are quite popular here, so almost everybody will recommend them. Be aware that they´re not really newbie friendly, though. Their killer feature is the big immersive world and the NPCs living in it.

who or wat is not newbie friendly?

Anyways.
Welcome to forum dashrendar1965

Im a big Gothic fan and i will suggest you to play that game.
You also may like Guild Wars (this game is not released yet but its a good game)
You also might like game called RYL but it will get pretty boring later on... Dunno what i can suggest you to play... Im 14 (nothing compared to you) and i have the same proble....i have nothing to play... The only game i like is Gothic and Guild Wars.
morrowind is good but seems kindaannoying for me.(i beat it though)

quote:
Obviously, having played fable, you have an Xbox. A friend of mine picked up the Morrowind game of the year edition which includes both expansions, for the Xbox for about £15 from amazon.co.uk

My best friend played Fable on PC. he downloaded the game and played it

Anyways.... Welcome to RPGDot forums dashrendar1965. I hope you will like this forum as much as everyone here does.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:13 am
Guinevere
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

game suggestions

Hi again, thankyou for your suggestions. Now it's time to have some fun!! I am going to go and check out some of your suggestions and hopefully buy something new today.

Last edited by Guinevere on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:13 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I would suggest NWN as a multiplayer game only! The single player part is rather mediocre.

Most of the mentioned games are very good, albeit sometimes a bit older. No other genre offers as much diversity as RPG, so you should make your choice carefully. The chance that you´ll like all the mentioned games is close to zero.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:46 am
Guinevere
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

can somebody please help me?

I will definately consider very carefully what I buy; after all I do want value for my money! I will keep u posted on my progress
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:04 am
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

You can download games. Not buy.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:40 am
Guinevere
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

new game suggestions

cool thanx 4 your suggestion. Maybe I could try b 4 I buy
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:20 am
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

You are always welcome.

Nice avatar.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:25 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Welcome! I played an adventure game recently that I thought was a LOT of fun, called Return to Mysterious Island. The price is resonable as well, this one suprised me. It's not an RPG, but it's a very good adventure game similar to Myst but with an actual inventory and a female protagonist

http://www.mysteriousislandgame.com/uk/index.htm

I liked the new Pirates game. It's fairly simple, forgiving if you make a mistake, but addictive and fast-paced.

http://www.atari.com/pirates/pirates/index.php

I'd also agree with those that recommend the Gothic games.

Drakhan: Order of the Flame is older but has a female protagonist. You may have to go to ebay or a closeout software website to find it. I liked this game a lot, but it's more action/adventure oriented.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/61696.asp?q=drakan

Another game to try if you haven't played it yet is Diablo 2, you can choose female characters. It has a lot of clicking but it's not too advanced and it's third person.

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo2/

Also, if you want to make the commitment to play an online MMORPG, I've been playing World of Warcraft for a couple of months now and it's a lot of fun as well.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/

Just a few suggestions.
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:39 am
Guinevere
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

new games to play

Thanx
Post Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:17 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next