Usergroups
very small impressions of the beta{from a beta tester}
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Not me sadly someone from my MSN writes for the dutch gaming site Gamers.nl he has played the beta today..LUCKY DAMN BASTARD ..LOL...he told that it of course looked amazing right away...he did say the battles looked kinda weird slightly lame..you walk up to an enemy and just slash away without even noticing your hitting something...this was the only maybe small negative thing about the beta , he told me...anyway...i didn't know much more to ask him..but if you people have a question i can just ask him...
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:28 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Is it possible to buy a cart, enchant it with levitation, attatch two fireball staves to it, and go on a cheap flight simulator rampage?

If not, is it possible to have a really safe place to lay down all of your weapons?
I.E. Will NPC's try to rob your house while you are away?

Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:39 am

quote:

I.E. Will NPC's try to rob your house while you are away?

No
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:00 am

bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Npc's just walk around town all the time...he said the people work too sometimes but not as gothic is:

in gothic people really did things like..sharpen their swords...work on their cabins/houses...
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:32 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Wow, I thought the battles were supposed to be a bit more.....interactive. The monsters were supposed to react when hit...i.e. blood flies, they make a noise, perhaps a recoil. I thought I read that in one of the developer's chats somewhere....

Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:51 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Loading times are very present alot..when entering/exitting houses for example...but not very long sometimes just 1 second it just loads alittle but nothing to really complain about, he told me the battling is still kinda lame...just hack/slash without really knowing when the enemy dies etc...
but the amazing visuals, and huge environments let you forgot alittle about the less-good battles...but as we could see in the latest morrowind movie..fightings seems to get interesting when you have a bow or a much bigger sword...yeah i heard that too that enemies supposed to react realisticly when hit..oh wait one more thing..he did say you have to stand in the right position to be able to hit someone...

i was hoping the battling would be like in Gothic, gothic never had a fantastic fighting system, but it really did the job though, i never really was annoyed with fighting in gothic, let's just hope morrowind won't fail here..great graphics..huge world is of course fabulous but bad battling can ruin a game...IMO
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:46 pm
bigkabuto19

well, the beta tester has put up exclusive shots from the game, he said even with his Xp1600+ and a geforce3 stuttering was present...take a look

http://www.gamers.nl/nieuws/12645
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:13 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Wow, this is simply perfect.
However if I will try it, I will run it on GForce2 + 800 MHz T-Bird and it certainly will not look like that.
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:43 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Bigkabuto, who is this beta tester? All of the things (s)he's reporting...I've not seen them mentioned in any of the other reviews. I've read quite a few of the reviews linked to morrowinddot, and most of them have been raving. Don't get me wrong, the game won't score any 100%'s, but with the faults that you've been describing, I'd be sending it more of a 80-85%. I just haven't seen these things reported before.

Don't get me wrong...I fully plan on buying it asap and giving it a good run through!
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:21 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Alright, head to that link...and see who posted it..his name's erwin...if you may have any questions you can just email him
he works for the dutch gaming site Gamers.nl he writes previews or reviews and he told me trough MSN of his impressions...but listen...one's opinion on something ain't the other's opinion always maybe you got the wrong idea....he never meant to say the fighting is horrible..it just needs alot of getting used to..and it's just allittle lame but nothing that would destroy this game....yeah..i read alot of beta impressions too and they certainly weren't negative about things..However there was this one preview that had a line in it about the kinda strange/lame battles....
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:42 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Well...I checked out the link...

As I'm only fluent in my native tongue, I don't think I'll go through and do the translating! Feeling a bit lazy today, I suppose.. At any rate, I'll just pay heed to the reviews written in English. There seems to be plenty of them going around. Anyone heard from Rend? I'm sure he's getting close to having his copy by now. He'll give us the RPGdot review we've all been waiting for! Anyway, 3 more weeks...come on, May!!
Post Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:30 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

If it's just a beta version, then they might have time to make some corrections to final version, am i right? I think i can handle with that fighting system, but it it could have some improvements before final release, i hope they read this forum and try to do some changes, thanks for posting this, i hardly can wait till that game hits to stores
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:23 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Changes in combat system are not typical for betatesting. Well, they ussually release betas to find technical problems and to fix them before releasing alfa version, not to change something "biger" in game system.
Post Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:26 am