Gothic - I need demos!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Gothic - I need demos!!!

Smile and pat yourselves on the back! Your brainwashing campaign is working...I must play this Gothic you speak of. I have been on these boards for a mere 8 months...and all I hear about is Gothic.

I am a fan of Wizardry, Daggerfall, and Morrowind. I know Gothic is probably nothing like those games but I am still interested.

Do you have any links for English demos for Gothic 1&2?

Can I go where I want?
Break in houses and steal stuff?
Kill any NPC?
Are there lots of NPCs?
What are the conversation options like if any?
What is combat like?
Can you switch from 3rd person to 1st?
Can you swim?
Any magic? What is the magic system like?
How many weapons & items in game?
Do you see your items when equipped.
What is the quest structure like?

Thanks for answering all 76,000 questions!!!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:09 pm
Rubix³
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What's up buddy.

Based on your questions, Gothic will be your favorite game ever - just like 99% of us.

You can go wherever you want - whenever you want.

You can sneak in huts/houses and steal things. You can also be detected doing this and attacked.

You can kill any NPC, minus VERY FEW immortals (under 5 in G1, and under 9 in G2). As long as there are no witnesses...

Tons of NPCs. Tons. With the best voice acting ever. Tramples Morrowind.

Conversation options range from small talk, to plot changing lines of dialogue. Everything we RPG gamers live for.

Combat is different from any game. Some call it klunky, I call it unique and challenging - and I'm not disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing - I really like Gothic's action gameplay. You've got a 'targeting lock' on your enemy, then you use the mouse/keyboard to swing at them. Either way, it's a HELL of a lot better than Morrowind.

You can use first person, but there's no need. Believe me, FP used to be my preferred method of play, but Gothic nails the smooth 3rd person view perfectly.

You can swim. Nicely done too.

The Magic system is similar to the ranged weapon combat system. You build up your skills, then 'throw' spells at people. I always play as a mage the second time around.

Hundreds of weapons and items. REAL LIFE items too - like Ultima.

You do see equipped items/armor.

Quest structure is totally non-linear - regardless of what anyone else tells you. You can go WHEREVER you want at ANY time and pick up other/side missions. There are a few moments where you have to do a few things in a row to accomplish a major goal - and this is linear - but in no way is the entire game linear.

Go get the game now. Not later. Now. Leave work/home/bed/spa and get the game. There's no more time left to waste.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:56 pm
alexpetersmith
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

sorry no english demo's but heres a link to the german one you should just be able to stumble through it without and knowledge of the german language. oh and im not sure but you might be able to find an english subtitle patch for it if you really want to find out whats going on. but just playing it in german should give you a good idea of what the games like. but i recomend you just go and buy it.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:10 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The first chapters of G1/G2 are more of the non-linear type; once you have decided on a side to join, the story becomes somewhat linear.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:10 pm
Pladio
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

There is an English demo of G1 out there, don't know where though.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:39 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Gothic - I need demos!!!

quote:
Originally posted by kengo2019
Smile and pat yourselves on the back! Your brainwashing campaign is working...I must play this Gothic you speak of. I have been on these boards for a mere 8 months...and all I hear about is Gothic.

Good to hear. I almost started thinking our brainwashing no longer works.

quote:

I am a fan of Wizardry, Daggerfall, and Morrowind. I know Gothic is probably nothing like those games but I am still interested.
You´re right, the Gothics have virtually nothing in coming with these classic RPGs. Fundamentally Gothic (and all sequels of course) is a simple game. Character development doesn´t require much thinking as long as you stick to the well known arche-types. All the number crunching is reduced.
The Gothics are on one level with Morrowind, NWN, KotOR, etc., but they´re not everybody´s darling. There´s a 10-20% chance you´ll hate them.

quote:

I don´t remember if there was an English Gothic demo. Even if so it´s probably way behind a patch level you want to play.
The G2 demo wasn´t translated because Atari couldn´t be bothered to do that much marketing. The German demo should be available at the usual download sites and a clumsily translated English subtitle file is in our gallery. This is confirmed to work, so if you really to try it some people could help you looking for the files.
Given all that effort it´s probably better to just buy G2 from Gamestop for $10.

quote:

1. Can I go where I want?
2. Break in houses and steal stuff?
3. Kill any NPC?
4. Are there lots of NPCs?
5. What are the conversation options like if any?
6. What is combat like?
7. Can you switch from 3rd person to 1st?
8. Can you swim?
9. Any magic? What is the magic system like?
10. How many weapons & items in game?
11. Do you see your items when equipped.
12. What is the quest structure like?

Thanks for answering all 76,000 questions!!!

1. Yes. Most of the world is open from the beginning. If you´re too early there might be some big tough thing in your way, but if you´re clever enough you can circumvent it...
Another big plus: NO loading breaks! You can explore the world for hours, enter buildings and caves and you won´t see a loading screen until you die.
2. Yes. Might have consequences, though.
3. Most.
4. Gothic had about 400, I think. You can count them in our cheat guide if you like. G2 has less. Maybe 250.
ALL dialogs are voice-acted. 9 hours in G2.
5. Typical multiple choice stuff. Different consequences for your relationship to certain NPCs but no real branching in the main storyline.
6. The player is 100% responsible for every single blow. With good timing you can to a certain extend compensate weaker stats. Combat can be frustrating until you get the hang of it. G2 has an additional set of combat controls because many players complained. The new set is easier.
7. Yes, and you can even make it permanent in the gothic.ini. The shocking truth is: 1st or 3rd person doesn´t really make a difference.
8. Yes. You even have to swim.
9. 6 magic circles; 1 per chapter. Invest skill points and one of the few blank runes to create the rune of your choice. Spell scrolls can be used by anyone.
10. More than enough, although this game is not made for collectors. You can count the G1 items in the cheat guide.
11. Yes.
12. The quests are good, and they´re an important part of the game. Just a few annoying quests.
Post Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:54 pm
Decline
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:

I am certain that there is an english demo for the first Gothic - it was how I first discovered the series. It used to be hosted on Fileplanet, but I can't find it now - maybe they took it down? Anyway, a quick google search gave me this. I'm pretty sure that's it.

As for a Gothic 2 demo, it's unfortunately only available in German. There is a patch that changes the subtitles to english, however.
Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:21 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Decline
quote:

I am certain that there is an english demo for the first Gothic - it was how I first discovered the series. It used to be hosted on Fileplanet, but I can't find it now - maybe they took it down? Anyway, a quick google search gave me this. I'm pretty sure that's it.

As for a Gothic 2 demo, it's unfortunately only available in German. There is a patch that changes the subtitles to english, however.

Thanks for the links. I'll download and try these this weekend!!!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:59 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

another soul saved, thank Innos

dont get scared about the unique controls when you play the game for the first time, youll get used to them. Everyones had a problem with em in the beginning.
Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:56 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

kriksa not everyone oke it wasn't what I was used to (mostly just klicking away) but I got used to it real fast with out problems
Post Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:38 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

quote:
Originally posted by titus
kriksa not everyone oke it wasn't what I was used to (mostly just klicking away) but I got used to it real fast with out problems

I concure. It felt wrong for me with KotOR and Morrowind, but that was after Gothic.
NFG member
Post Sat Sep 04, 2004 12:36 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

10 bucks at Gamestop was just too hard to resist. A friend of mine also snagged a copy.

I really dig Gothic2 so far. Did not care for the 3rd person view at first or the controls. I think this game would rock on the Xbox...it is suited to a controller. After awhile I quite switching to 1st person because it did not work well. I like how the game looks very simple...yet there is alot of depth to it. My only "real" complaint with the game is that you cannot "create" a character. Evidently it changes quite a bit based on your play-style and faction so that is good enough.

Seriously, I think I will have to try out Gothic 1 also.

Thanks for turning me onto this great series!!!

I like how you get an actual manual with the game!!!
Post Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:17 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yes, you really MUST play Gothic 1. It makes it so much better to know firsthand how things all play out in the story.
Post Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:18 am
druidvideo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My thoughts

The demo of G1 was how I got my first taste. It is the most atmospheric game I have ever played...I am usually disappointed when I play other RPG's now I have played G1/G2.

I aggre in that you should play G1 first...because you going to want to play it eventually, and it would be better done first.

enjoy
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:41 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

I am tearing up........INNOS saved another poor soul!

About the controls......I had aways played the clickety clickety click RPG's, and was satisfied in my ignorant bliss, then Gothic came along. After about 15 minutes of play I saw the genious of Gothic's controls. Having to actually SWING your sword, well timed, was a revelation.....it is how it SHOULD be done, and the rest of the games got it all wrong. I lock my mouse in a drawer and play for hours, never "thinking" about controls, because they are natural once you learn them. Aside from a few tweaks(mainly in inventory) PB got Gothic right the first time

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:45 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next