Usergroups
Dungeon Siege or Morrowind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

What game will absolutly R00L you think?
I used to have Morrowind as my favorite nr. 1 but now that I have seen actual game footage of what the dungeon siege engine can do.....boy, I'm not so sure anymore
Perhaps Bethesda needs to release some ingame movie of their own as counterweight?

Ok, Morrowind is 1st person with an optional "vanity mode" 3d person and 1st person view is still my favorite folowed by that 3rd person view.
But with Dungeon Siege you can zoom in and out and rotate all you want.
No 1st person I think but still...
It seems so flexible that I think you can decide exactly how you want to play the game.
Perspective wise I mean.
You could play it like Baldurs gate or Diablo or you could go with the "over the shoulder" 3d person view.
Or a mix of those two ofcourse.

If they really deliver all this, and it seems like they will, Dungeon Siege could perhaps be even more versatile then Morrowind.
Either way I think both games will be great in their own right. They are looking very very good and I will play them both

What are your thoughts?

Snoekie
Post Thu Aug 16, 2001 12:06 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Well like you said, its hard to say having only seen the one games in game graphics. Of course that is just graphics. They are both going to be visually stunning I am sure. I don't know too much about either title, but I am looking forward to both. I think the mod kit is great, and DS has really been selling it well. I think all the Ultima remakes that are not doing their own engine are using the DS engine. I think it is going to be a boon for RPG games in general. I am excited, but I guess I am leaning towards DS as for which is exciting me more. Probably because of the more widespread adoption of its mod kit already.

Post Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:19 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

For me, it's ARX and Morrowind : I'm definitively fan of one-person - first person rpg...
The idea to manage more than one character; looking far away from them; seeing things they shoudn't see, etc... is not realistic enough for me.

Sure screenshots are good-looking; but there are more things to considerate to think a game is good or not.
Example : I was disapointed when I've played Deus Ex : screenshots looks good, ideas were here, true RPG elements, first person view, one character to manage; but ...
it uses the unreal engine and i hate the feeling I have with it...

Feeling is all !
Post Thu Aug 16, 2001 10:57 pm
mtkafka
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well with DS being pushed back to 2002, I guess I'm interested in neither right now (it feels wasteful to be hyped for games that seem at least 6 months away).

Morrowind I'm almost sure will be pushed back to at least mid 2002. The only thing we have coming is PoR2, Arcanum and Throne of Darkness...someday Wizardry 8 in a dream that is...

and if i had to choose between DS and MW (both delivering on promises), my obvious choice would be MW. A first person rpg, open ended and modifiable... i could care less for multi.

etc
Post Fri Aug 17, 2001 6:35 am
Le Magot d'Oz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Why do you want to compare those games ?
Dungeon Siege will be a very linear action game but -that's true- a beautiful engine and Morrowind will be a TRUE RPG -with a not too bad engine as far as I've seen...

For sure the Dungeon engine will be fabulous in... Ultima V Lazarus, IX Redemption or even Ultima VI Beware the Prophecy...

[ This Message was edited by: Le Magot d'Oz on 2001-08-17 11:20 ]
Post Fri Aug 17, 2001 4:12 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

I'm comparing the 2 games because they're the ones I'm most eager to play.
With Neverwinternights as a good 3rd, btw.
Like I said, Morrowind used to be my favorite but I'm not that sure anymore.
I guess it all depends on what the actual gameplay is like.
I'm more into the roleplaying aspect myself but am also fond of some hack&slash every now and then

Snoekie
Post Fri Aug 17, 2001 10:06 pm

And what about Poll of Radiance guys ? Well everybody speak about NWN or DS. I think POR will be the best RPG of the end of 2001. Hardcoregamer will obviously recognize D&D features because it is not only a view of camera which will determine a great game
Post Mon Aug 20, 2001 3:53 pm

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Arx & Morrowind

First person view (immersive world)
Real hardcore CRPG
Very nice Graphic engines

Other games sure are interesting too, but my expectations peeks for the two above. Later Migth & Magic IX will be worth to mention.
Post Mon Aug 27, 2001 8:37 am