Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What does MW depend on most for performance?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

What does MW depend on most for performance?

CPU speed

RAM - type and amount

Video card.

Don't tell me all three because I already know that. If you had to choose one which would it be?

I have an 1.2 gig Athlon T-Bird cpu, 256mb cas2 PC133, and a GeForce 3.
I don't have enough funds to upgrade all three areas so I have to make a decision on which one. I have an opportunity to get a GeForce4 4600 for around $300 which is a very good price. Opinions?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:03 am

Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

In your case, definitely RAM. Get at least 256MB more. It makes a difference.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:11 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

From what others are saying you can probably run it fairly well with what you have. If it were me I'd probably go with more memory..but that's just me.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:11 am
Szandos

From what I heard, the graphics card is more important than the other areas. If you want to run the game in 1024x768 with FSAA and pixelshaders, get a gf4. If not, get some more RAM. With that price for a gf4 I'd go for it. Idea: With the money you "earn" by getting a cheap gf4, get 256mb ram
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:18 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I disagree a little..while the GF4 is an improvement over the GF3..I don't think it is as important as more RAM...not to mention more RAM will help with future games also..
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:22 am

If you are running the game on Windows 98, then I wouldn't recommend more RAM because you will not benefit from it. Your best option is to get a newer motherboard and some DDR RAM. The GeForce 3/4 video card runs MUCH faster with DDR memory. You can get a decent VIA KT266A mobo for under $80 and a 256 MB stick of DDR memory for under $70. Then, upgrade that CPU later on.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 6:54 am

I haven't looked at mother boards in a while. Is the KT266-A still the fastest chipset for Athlons using DDR-266? Has anyone had any experience with any of those N-Force motherboards with the nVidia chipset?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:45 am

Jellomancer

The KT333 is theoretically the fastest since it uses 333mHz memory. But the FSB is still 266 so the performance increase is only by like 2 or 3 percent. I returned my KT333 mobo and got a KT266 one.

However, I think CPU is the bottleneck.. if you have a good enough video card. I have an Athlon 1900+ and a Geforce 4 4400 and I can turn on FSAA with no performance hit.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:30 pm

Spartacus

MW specs

What motherboard would you recomment for a T-bird 1.2 GHz?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:41 pm

Bump.....So who has used an N-Force board?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 1:52 am

Aramas
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Jelloman - you returned a kt333 board and bought a kt266? What was the reasoning behind that? The kt333 also supports ATA133 if you have a Maxtor HD. I've read nothing but good things about the kt333. I've read absolutely nothing that even implies that a kt266 might be better in any way. Actually, I've just ordered a kt333 M/B (Epox 8K3A, since the ABIT KT7a fiasco ABIT can kiss my arse). Admittedly there's no compelling reason to upgrade from a 266 to a 333, but for a new system why take the lesser option?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:16 am
The_Elder_One
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The_Elder_One

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Bump.....So who has used an N-Force board?

I ue the Nforce motherboard (along with GF3Ti200, 512mb, and XP 1900+, Win XP)

It works great, plus it comes with integrated state of the art sound hardware, integrated LAN hardware, etc.

If you have a GF3 then no way in hell should you blow $300 on a GF4.

With my system, I can tell this game is processor dependent because when I go from 1600x1200 to 640x480 on the boat, my frames only increase by 3. That means it doesn't really care what the video card is doing.

The most valuable peice of hardware you could buy to play this game would be the new Intel P4 2.53 ghz with 533mhz fsb Processor. Check it out at http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q2/020506/index.html
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:00 am

Yeah, but for that new P4 you're talking mega bucks too.
I would have to also buy a new motherboard, power supply, and RDRAM.

screw that!
Post Wed May 08, 2002 6:02 am

Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

More RAM will only really effect loading times. More RAM may get rid of the little "pauses" that occur during the game.

It will NOT increase performance.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 7:17 am
dahool
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Decado
More RAM will only really effect loading times. More RAM may get rid of the little "pauses" that occur during the game.

It will NOT increase performance.

More RAM = less stuttering due to less HDD loading = performance increase.

- dahool
Post Wed May 08, 2002 11:35 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next