Blizzard Being Sued by Parents for WoW Addiction
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Blizzard Being Sued by Parents for WoW Addiction

In a rather disturbing development, Blizzard is being sued by the parents of a 13-year-old Chinese boy who committed suicide last year ostensibly due to playing too much World of Warcraft. <blockquote><em>he parent’s of the boy are now suing game maker Blizzard with the help of lawyer and an “internet game addiction researcher.” The legal team also plans on filing class action suits against “the whole game industry on behalf of other parents.”</em></blockquote> The article doesn't go into much detail, but you can read the rest at <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000997068547/" target="_blank">Joystiq.com</a>.
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:52 pm
Kepler
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Robert Goddard

I am going to counter sue those people for terrible parenting skills. Maybe if they would have nurtured their child when he was an infant. Talked to him about the world when he became old enough to listen. Taught him to be confident in himself. Explained that self esteem is power, not fantasy.

Parents listen. Children do not grow up sane and well adjusted automatically like your VCR records your daily soap operas everyday. You have to put some effort into raising them.
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:56 pm
jamey333
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Good riddance. Darwin wins. I mean come on.

Video Games = The New Heavy Metal
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:16 pm
motorhappy

I totally agree, it's ridiculous to blame a game for something as serious as suicide.

But I think MMO companies are foolish not to see this coming. They need to add or better advertise playtime alarms and lockouts that parents can enable. Adding those features only reinforces parental responsibility and it becomes easier to point the finger back at parents while appearing proactive.
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:43 pm

slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Morons, if they didn't like him playing too much why not just cancel the subscription? I doubt the kid paid it himself.
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:13 pm
Wildefire
General Goods Vendor
General Goods Vendor

If you want to punish the real killer, find the guy that ninja-looted the boy! Someone call O.J. to see if he wants to join in on the search.

Seriously though, people with a tendency to be addicted to things (whether it be video games, drugs, alcohol, or gambling) usually have more problems than just the addiction. Who knows what other warning signs the poor kid was sending out that his parents ignored until the lawyers started calling?
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:41 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well I guess if you still doubt the westernization of China, this is 1 case-in-point NOT in your favor...
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:25 pm
Ugly_Prayer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Good comments guys. Suicide is simple... its reason(s) are often complex. Kinda like addiction(s).
Suicide (for those left behind) seems to beg for some form of closure.
I had three friends choose that exit - yet I still do not know pricisely...why(?)
We all described ourselves as characters outta a Hunter Thompson novel... and much later - HST put a bullet in his head... "go figure..."
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:49 pm
XVampireX
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

When will people learn that - Nobody is forcing them to play and be addicted. You're addicted to whatever you want to be addicted or whatever is addicting, but there's no law saying that humans cannot and must not be addicted.

The suicide must have happened because he was too addicted and didn't have any social life, it happens.

And since it is china we are talking about, it's not like they are not over populated already... Though I am talking generally...

Get it straight people - No one is forcing you to be addicted.
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:00 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

"I'm a victum, I swear! Now gimme money!"
Pathetic. Their apathy as parents makes them accomplices in their kid's death.
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:11 pm
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

China may have over-population problems, but this should not be the solution in any case.

Otherwise, I do agree with most of the opinions here - the poor kid probably had a whole lot of other problems beside the WoW addiction, most of them probably to poor upbringing by his parents. On the other hand the parents are trying to cash in on the tragedy and trying to blame somebody or something else, in this case Blizzard and WoW, meaning that they are really the ones responsible for the tragedy and showing that they do not feel any responsibility for it.

I agree that they are the ones who should be sued, and not Blizzard.
Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:18 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Don't forget that in China most online gaming is done at cyber cafe's at pay by the hour models.

His parents could of believed he was outside playing with his buddies, who knows. But i agree, I am definitely not one of the retards who likes to pawn responsibility off on others. Guess what i'll do if i don't want my daughter playing video games? I won't let her. Thats whacky, ain't it? But who knows if i'll even be able to do that with the way things are going.

I really appreciate the fact that I am not allowed to be notified if my daughter decided to have an abortion at 12. But she wont be able to buy pictures of naked people till she is 18. I like that, living in Massachusetts, I have no say at all in the sex ed learning my daughter will have, or at what age the elitists will start to indoctrinate her into hating her country. She has the right to privacy and I can be held accountable for evesdropping. If I spanked her for being naughty I can go to jail. That drug stores give out needles to heroin adicts for free, but I have to sneak through society like a ninja to smoke a cigarette.

Nothing makes sense anymore. I am willing to bet good money the less bright among us, such as a certain Noble Savage, and other bleeding heart sissies, believe strongly that when it comes to video games the game company cannot be blaimed for the personal choices people make, but on every other subject, the person who made the bad choice is a victim and the evil corporations atre the bad guys. Abuse is, and has always been, the very hallmark of freedom. And what good is freedom, or can you really believe what you have is freedom, if you are not allowed to make bad choices.

I wish I could feel even a little bad for those who commit suicide, but screw em. They are weak and pathetic. If you are such a pansy you cant get through another day, good riddance. No matter how bad it gets, cave men had it a lot worse. If cavemen could make it another day, without the convenience of a federal government and special interest groups protecting their right to entitlement, cheap meat at micky d's, little tasty burgers fromn white castle, and without mopping around their cave all depressed and sad, I say darwinism is losing. We need to help darwinism along. Something has gone horrible wrong somewhere along the line. The weak and stupid are thriving and taking over with pansyspeak, which is worse than doublespeak. I would kind of welcome big brother with open arms if it would get everyone to shut their sissy mouths up for five or ten seconds. Hell, I'll welcome a governemnt run by al-quada. At least my wife would have to shut her mouth, and if she didnt I could beat her legally.

And it would solve the gay marriage issue in the US, because they would all be killed. As well as about every other hot topic. All religoun/state issues as well. And the liberal agenda would pretty much come to a screeching halt. Then a tyrrantical enforced silence. That would be great. Go Terrorism. I am a big supporter now. Whose with me?
Post Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:33 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
I really appreciate the fact that I am not allowed to be notified if my daughter decided to have an abortion at 12. But she wont be able to buy pictures of naked people till she is 18. I like that, living in Massachusetts, I have no say at all in the sex ed learning my daughter will have, or at what age the elitists will start to indoctrinate her into hating her country. She has the right to privacy and I can be held accountable for evesdropping. If I spanked her for being naughty I can go to jail. That drug stores give out needles to heroin adicts for free, but I have to sneak through society like a ninja to smoke a cigarette.

You need to get out of Massachusetts man... that place makes San Francisco look concervative.
Post Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:11 am
JsnStein

I am right with ya Roqua (at least until the last paragraph . I am in NYC, parents in MA so I know where you are coming from. I am SSOOO SICK of the whiny, little bi... well. I just have two words, personal responsibility.

I say we take the heartland and let the stupid &%#@!* liberals have the coasts and the northern states. Cede from the Union then grab the popcorn and watch the brainless morons self destruct.
Post Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:05 am

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by JsnStein
I am right with ya Roqua (at least until the last paragraph . I am in NYC, parents in MA so I know where you are coming from. I am SSOOO SICK of the whiny, little bi... well. I just have two words, personal responsibility.

I say we take the heartland and let the stupid &%#@!* liberals have the coasts and the northern states. Cede from the Union then grab the popcorn and watch the brainless morons self destruct.

Whats wrong with that is most of the red states are just so slow. And they talk all wierd. In massachusetts we have everything right, but are ruled by the wrong people. We have properly named everything, such as the break down lane, bubblers, rotaries, etc., and everyone else got it wrong. And we move fast, and largely, besides lately with the influx of filthy savages from other states coming here, we drove mostly rigfht. If someone decided to be a retarded passing lane cruser they got harrased by the civilized folk till they learned right by being beeped at, flipped off, and threatened with death by everyone they slowed down. Now passing lane crusing is pretty common.

But what people dont realize about mass is that all its citizens have been dupped by the hippies somehow. All my friends are basically libertarians at heart, but are hard lined democrats. The have yet to connect that the democratic party is ruled by the people they hate the most in real life. They all smoke, are all being raped by child support payments, complain about taxes, hate college kids, and hippies, special ineterst groups, a lot have been in the service, are very very offensive, constantly make racial comments to each other and others, believe spanking your kid is normal, and have all got spanked. They are all blue collared, hard working union guys, and just dont see the connection between the things they b**ch about the most and the party that implemented it. I'm the only non-democrat and the only one that supports gay marriage is me.

But, in their defense, it is like asking to be considered a freak not to be a democrat here. I catch a lot of crap for it. But they made fun of me for going to college and make fun of me for having a non-labor job. And my wife told them I play rpgs so thats the current fun thing to make fun of me about.
Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:07 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next