Arx Fatalis Review at Gamers.com
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Arx Fatalis Review at Gamers.com

The second feature at Gamers.com today is a <a href="http://www.gamers.com/game/1075607" target="_blank">review of Arx Fatalis</a>. Arkane Studios' RPG receives a rating of 8/10. Their final words: <br><UL><i>What else? The use of inventory items is inconsistent, the journal always reopens on the first page (not the most recent one you looked at), you can't annotate the map or journal, your character's voice is so subdued that you sometimes miss key information that then won't be recorded in your journal, you often have no idea where to go (no one will help you, either), and time apparently passes but there's no way to monitor it. These things--and a few others--will get on your nerves more than once. <br> <br>And yet, from the daunting puzzles to the combat to a game design that lets you brew your own potions and bake a very tasty apple pie, what you're left with at the end of Arx Fatalis is a sense of great satisfaction. This is a game that soundly triumphs over its shortcomings to deliver hours and hours of enjoyment.</I></UL>
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:22 am
albatross
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

If you want someone to take you by the hand and lead you through the game,then your playing the wrong kind of game. I suggest a "Disney" flavored game with Mickey or Minnie as a guide. One reason I can't stand most critics is that what they do best is whine and in real-life thats probably their hobby...whining.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 9:27 am
Garrett

Too bad an Arx 2 is less than likely
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:48 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
Originally posted by albatross
If you want someone to take you by the hand and lead you through the game,then your playing the wrong kind of game. I suggest a "Disney" flavored game with Mickey or Minnie as a guide. One reason I can't stand most critics is that what they do best is whine and in real-life thats probably their hobby...whining.

The review was fairly positive, and all the negative points are true, so who is whining?

Arx does leave you stranded with no idea what to do next on several occasions. You either have to peek at the guide or wander around talking to everyone (again) to see if they have something new to tell you. I can't see how this would be viewed as a positive game characteristic.

Last edited by Jung on Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:21 pm

I have with Jung

There are negative points in Arx, and developers should be aware of them, so that they don't repeat them.

As for the review (even though very brief), it comes very close to my own opinion about the game.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:55 pm

Hmm, is there a way to edit comments? My previous post contains too many errors.. (I am very confused for "Have with Jung", hence no signature!)
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:00 pm

Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

You can edit... if you are registered, I believe
Post Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:06 am