Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Did they change the interface/controls??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Did they change the interface/controls??

Gothic original sounds great, but sadly one thing I am certain of, having read in detail about the interface and controls, I just could never adapt to them.

Pity because apart from that I would have bought Gothic. Have they changed this in Gothic II??

Please tell me they have, because the diversity and gameplay sound really great even in the original, but if the controls are the same as the first then I wont buy the second either

Anyone know?
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:38 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

The devs have listened and learned. They have improved the controls and the inventory system for Gothic 2.

The original Gothic's controls can be modified (keys re-mapped). Try downloading the demo and giving it a spin before you write it off completely.

Last edited by Val on Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:41 am
LaBaN
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

heh, the controls are the least of your worries. If you let yourself be knocked out by silly gamereviewer's inability to rehabilitation from standard controlschemes you are as silly as they are.
It took me about 1 hour of gameplay to fiure out the controls, and during that hour I didn't even notice the rather unusual controls. The game's diversity and realism blew me away from thoughts like that.
The controls became second nature to me.

But as far as i've read (and believe), they've made the default controls more ordinary and boring. However, the old scheme is still available for Gothic1 freaks
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:52 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Does any one now will it be possible to strike several enemies with one hit?
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:53 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Did they change the interface/controls??

quote:
Originally posted by DevilsBane
Gothic original sounds great, but sadly one thing I am certain of, having read in detail about the interface and controls, I just could never adapt to them.

I think I remember you are coming from FPSs. So especially you shouldnīt have that much of a problem because the mouse controls are a modification of the standard FPS control scheme (at least the combat part).
Most people use alternative controls (ASDW + mouse).

The details:
1. "normal" gameplay:
Equip/uneqip, use, climb, talk, and more stuff like this is all done the same way:
<i>Focus at the object you want to manipulate, then press (LMB or CTRL) + forward to activate the desired action.</i>
So far itīs absolutely trivial.

2. combat:
In the ASDW + mouse setup all necessary controls can be reached with your left hand. Weapons are on the number keys, the inventory on TAB. Of course the weapons of your choice have to be equipped first, like in every other RPG.
Activate combat mode by pressing space or one of the numbers, for example '1' for 'melee weapon'. Walk to an enemy. Stop for a split second and use the mouse to focus at him.
<i>Now press and keep pressed the LMB to lock on the target. The four movement keys offer you 3 aggressive and 1 defensive option. The 3 aggressive options can be combined to 'combo attacks' if pressed at the right moment (but that requires practice).</i>

3. magic and ranged combat:
Similar to combat. A bit more simple.

4. trading:
The worst part of the controls. The trading interface sucks.

quote:

Pity because apart from that I would have bought Gothic. Have they changed this in Gothic II??

They changed some parts of it, but the combat interface will still be very similar to G1. This was inevitable because they wanted to maintain the feeling G1 delivered. Combat was relatively slow. The user had to do all the fighting instead of the typical 'fire and forget' combat many other RPGs have. Making it more responsive would have made a game like Rune out of Gothic. Another problem: How do you want to map the 4 melee options to 2 mouse buttons?

Trading interface and magic are of course dramatically improved.

quote:

Please tell me they have, because the diversity and gameplay sound really great even in the original, but if the controls are the same as the first then I wont buy the second either

Anyone know?

Maybe you should try the demo. I would no longer buy Gothic for full prize but for 10 GBP it might still be worthy of your attention.

More details about Gothic II can be found on GothicDot.
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:39 pm
Alistair
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Wouldnt pay full price for G I!!!!

Gorath old buddy, I think itīs time for you to hang up your moderator hat... you have become jaded...

Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:37 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I wrote this because Gothic is sold in Germany for 10€ and in the US sometimes for less. Plus Gothic II is around the corner. So full prize for a 18 months old game doesnīt sound like a good deal to me.

Oh, and I donīt feel tired. 6 months ago maybe, but not now.
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:55 pm
Alistair
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Hmm, ok then

A separate, vaguely interface-type question. Does anyone know if the max res is higher than 1600x1200 this time round? Given how good the Gothic world looks, it would be great to be able to crank the resolution up...

But Iīm really just hoping for mod support. Itīs such a fantastic engine, but it was so hard to work with last time around that no-one produced anything particularly good... Iīll definitely do things if the option is there...

A.

PS: I havenīt been able to see a single one the recent videos. Talk about frustrating...
Post Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:13 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

I think in other games the control interfaces also quite diffcult to satisfy most player. Even PCA rated G2 control 84%, lowest score (relatively) compare to other aspects like sound or graphics. It must be something to do different gamers background: casual or hardcore gamer types, new or experienced gamer/computer user ....Anyway, i'm postive that with the new control improvements there won't much trouble...
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:03 am
DevilsBane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The mapping of the key to activate and walk move, prevents the ability to strike and move, so combat is reduced to standing still and clubbing each other....

Thats what I read , and to me that just sounds BAD

Other stuff I could adapt to, but not being able to move while fighting?? Thats way to much of a restriction for me, makes combat a very negative thing.

Like being able to interchange between mellee and movement, part of that comes from FPS playing, but even in 2D RPG the point click type, it still offers the ability to move away and around during combat

GI sounds like a painfully combat negative interface. Although I Know combat isnt everything, i defy anyone to say it isnt a major part of ALL RPG games. I like the RPG style now, at least its growing on me fast. But I couldnt live without being able to whip out my trusty longsword and hack off some offending heads when the mood suits

I think RPG for me, just entails more interesting, diverse and self chosen ways to get myself in to troubles

Thats what it boils down to right? The right to choose who you want to kill, rather than have enemies shoved at you
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 12:01 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Well, I gotta say that Its cool to see Gorath so full of life at this forum. I mean, I took a break after the F.A.Q., played some Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights and stuff, and when I return, Gorath is still around, writing like crazy.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:11 am