View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Questions

Questions

1. What's the difference between the divine and divinity skills? Are both essential to spend skill points in? Priest skills are different than the mages. The mages only needs wizardry for as the priest need both divine and divinity. Thus which is the main skill that enhances the divinity realm?

2. I've read somewhere that by practising LnT the skill, it increases rapidly. However, i kept on trying and practising on opening locks/traps but it doesn't increase much. The most is just by 2 points.

3. Why does my pick pocket abilities always fail? Even I always reload and no matter what I tried, it still fails. I have quite high skills in pick pocket.

4. I noticed that my Samurai lightning strike only happens 1/200 times that i used. So far I have only seen ONCE that my Samurai had ever use that skill. What affects the better chance on performing the lightning strike? What main skill/attributes that affects that?

Thanks in advance.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:04 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

1) I might get the words mixed up, so I'll go by position. The one on the left (divinity, IIRC) refers to a spellbook. Priests are the primary users of that book, although Valks, Lords, and Bishops can also use it. The spellbook contains spells from a variety of realms, including fire, water, mental, and such. The one on the right (divine, IIRC) is a realm. While the majority of divine realm spells are in the divinity spellbook, there are a few that are not. For instance, "enchanted blade" is a divine realm spell, but a priest cannot use it since it is from the mage spellbook. For a priest, I put points in both skills. Points in the spellbook will reduce backfires and help learn higher level skills. Points in the realm will make individual spells stronger.

2) "Rapidly" is a relative term. otter works on one particular lock for an hour or two (IIRC) to boost his skill to 100. You'll have to decide whether that's rapid or not.

3) With the latest patch (1.2.4), the save/reload method of PP doesn't work. In simplest terms, if you're running the latest patch, don't PP, no matter what your skill. I can give you the bloody details if you wish, but trust me.

4) Lightning strike is tied to the critical strike skill. Boosting that skill will improve the odds of getting a lightning strike, although even a high skill isn't a guarantee. My experience (individual results may vary) was that samurais never generated enough critical hits, which is why I don't use them much.

Glad to help.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:44 pm
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Things that i regretted about my current party

1. I pump too many skill points into the music skill for my bard(till it reaches 70). As a matter of fact i could actually max it by practicing for about half an hour in Anna's Bait . With the base of 20 points it can be easily maxed out using the violin without even spending a single points in it. With the remaining skill points i could actually shape up my bard to be a pretty decent fighter/ranger.

2. I guessed i pump the wrong skill points to my Samurai. In order for him to optimise his lightning strike ability, it's wisier to max his dex and speed first. Instead I pump up his str and dex. As a result, his LS ability only happens 1/200 times .

It was really a big waste with the bard . Too bad no one informs me about it. Now the next thing that i would like to know would be regarding the LnT and PP skills. How do i max it in one or two hours?
If LnT, what should i need to do? Easier traps usually got opened with just a few try. So far i haven't come across super locks (unless the one in the jail below). What i want to know is how exactly otter did. Did he keeps on trying to disarm the lock and then leave and then disarming again?
Also someone claims that she managed to maximise her PP skill. I can't seem to be able to max it. Whenever it fails, the npcs got hostile. The only thing that i could do is to bribe her with money . Or maybe as what you said that in v1.24.. it's not possible anymore?. Then i might be missing out alot of goodies to loot then?

Also a last question, I found the bloodlust and it's cursed. Is there a way to uncurse the item? Thanks again. Sorry for so many questions.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:48 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

1) As you get deeper into the game, the bard will find better instruments. Of the LnT trio (rogue, bard, gadg), I prefer the bard by a fair margin.

2) The abilities you developed won't have as much effect on lightning strike as the related skills (critical, sword).

3) From what you said, you may have already found the LnT practice spot. In Arnika is a lock with 8 plungers. You'll be able to click away for a long, long time before getting all 8 plungers to stay up (and you can leave and return if you get close). To tell you where that lock is will lead to a spoiler, so you'll have to ask again before we'll give that info up.

3a) With the latest patch, not only will PP failure make the NPCs hostile, but repeated success will, too. otter spent a lot of time playing without the latest patch, so he might be able to give you some PP hints. I rarely PP in any game, so once I found out Sir-Tech had nerfed it I just ignored it entirely.

4) Remove curse (via spell or bishop) will allow you to remove the cursed item from your character, but it is impossible to change the item itself. A cursed item will stay cursed forever and ever.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:22 pm
otter
One of Us

To practise L&T, touch the magnifying glass repeatedly on the chest-trap-disarming screen. Don't try to disarm, just keep inspecting. It takes about 20-30 min of game time, but a few seconds of "real" time each inspection, so i uaually read a book while i'm doing this, and watch the bar periferally to know when to click again. I've found that if you have both Divine Traps and Knock-Knock in your party, you don't have to go much past 60 in L&T for the game. If you have the most recent version (Patch 1.2.4) PP is a poor source of stuff. (otherwise, what you have to do to develop it is save every success and then reload if you get busted, until you get everything at each merchant; your Dex and Spd will determine how many successes you need to max PP)
Cursed items cannot be uncursed, only the character can be temporarily freed enough to remove the item. Cursed isn't necessarily bad--with a weapon, it just means you can't switch to your bow... Remove Curse is available as a special ability of Bishops and Priests, and as a Spell in the Wizardry and Divinity Schools.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:30 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by otter
To practise L&T, touch the magnifying glass repeatedly on the chest-trap-disarming screen. Don't try to disarm, just keep inspecting.
So you practice on a trap rather than a lock? Hmmm. I always thought you clicked lock plungers for hours on end...

quote:
Remove Curse is available as a special ability of Bishops and Priests, and as a Spell in the Wizardry and Divinity Schools.
Priests don't get it as an ability. While the option shows up on the same icon bar as abilities such as "dispel undead", it's keyed to the spell and uses mana (sorta like ID item). If the priest doesn't have the spell, that icon is inactive. With bishops, it is an innate ability and doesn't use mana or require the spell be learned.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:41 pm
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

One more question here. I've already got the 2 necklace of endurance for my bard. However,I would like to know how will it increase during the combat? I noticed that during battle her stamina doesn't even regenerate. However, it regenerates pretty quickly during non-combat. If that's the case, how do i effectively use it to boost my bard's stamina using the 2 necklace during combat?
I would like to know that if the 8 plungers that you are talking about would be the one located below the jail.
Otter, I didn't know that the priest have the remove curse as a special ability. What i do know is that the priest has the turn undead ability (which is pretty useful). I cleared the temple below in Arnika with no difficulty. I'll try and see if the priest has the remove curse ability. Thanks
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:50 pm
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sorry left one question here.

Is there a way to practice the artifact skill like the LnT or the Music? If so, how? ID scrolls are really EXPANSIVE!!. THanks
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:08 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by Archaven
One more question here. I've already got the 2 necklace of endurance for my bard. However,I would like to know how will it increase during the combat? I noticed that during battle her stamina doesn't even regenerate. However, it regenerates pretty quickly during non-combat. If that's the case, how do i effectively use it to boost my bard's stamina using the 2 necklace during combat?
I would like to know that if the 8 plungers that you are talking about would be the one located below the jail.
Otter, I didn't know that the priest have the remove curse as a special ability. What i do know is that the priest has the turn undead ability (which is pretty useful). I cleared the temple below in Arnika with no difficulty. I'll try and see if the priest has the remove curse ability. Thanks
1) The necklaces work during combat the same as outside of it- 1 point per minute of game time (that rate and the one that follows may not be right, but stick with me here). During combat, game time slows down significantly, so there are like 10 combat rounds per minute, which means you're getting 1 stamina point every 10 rounds. Not really significant. The advantage is that, with the necklaces, your bard should always be at full stamina when combat begins, no matter what was happening beforehand.

2) It's not located under the jail, but you can get to it from there. I'm pretty sure you've found it.

3) Refer to my previous post- I think otter made a mistake with a priest's remove curse.

4) There's an "ID item" spell (2nd level, priest and psionic book, mental realm). About the only way I've found to train artifacts is as a side product of going into the alchemy-for-profit business.
Post Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:20 pm
otter
One of Us

You can also combine Artifact training with Charm, Mindread, and Knock-Knock training by using Mana Stones to regen SP. (which you can get recharged by selling when they're down to one charge and buying back.
They never have more than three charges, unfortunately). This way, you can max Mental and Div or Psi in just a few game minutes each (lots of "real" time) (i only maxed once, just because it was fun to have a L1 Monk with 100 Psi...)
For K-K, i cast power level 1 or 2 about a hundred times to get my Alchemizer from 30 to 50. (the rest i get from mixing what you can at 50) I use the 8-pin lock for this, after killing Lorrac and the Bank Guards (don't worry about the Patrols--they'll even help you!) so i can use the elevator for faster transit between He'Li and the Vault.
M
A
N
A
S
T
O
N
E
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
They drop off Anna, Madras, and Gari; Crock sells'm, and there's one in the little room down the hall from the Storage Area in LMB.
And if you want one really early, you gotta bouta 10% chance in the Lightning Rod Chest in Upper Monastery. (reload just before entering the zone, kill 2 rats, 6 bandits, and whatever's in the room with the chest, which can also have: Ankh of Speed, Enchanted Mace, +1 Robes, and other similarly kewl stuff)
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:16 am
otter
One of Us

bit spammy, but i was in the game long enough for an edit to be missed:
re Identify: Yes, Bishops also must learn the spell! It just becomes a button--you don't cast it, it's just there by the Remove Curse button...but nobody has it as an Ability!
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:21 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
bit spammy, but i was in the game long enough for an edit to be missed:
re Identify: Yes, Bishops also must learn the spell! It just becomes a button--you don't cast it, it's just there by the Remove Curse button...but nobody has it as an Ability!
Think you're still off yer rocker, otter. From the manual (and my experience confirms this): "The Bishop also has the unique ability to remove cursed itrems from party members without casting a spell." It's been a while, but I'm almost certain a level 1 bishop has the remove curse button active, well before the spell is available, unlike the priest (whose button doesn't go active until the spell is learned, and uses mana).
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:49 pm
otter
One of Us

I laugh at me!!! yah, it's there, before i read the Book of Relics! Plenty Bishops, but it's been a very long time since i've needed to remove anything...i just know i read the book every time i get to it.
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:30 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

About time I catch you, after all the times you've caught me...
Post Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:54 pm
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Is it worth having a gadgeteer? What does it do? Merge items? Where can i find info on what items to merge with what? I am currently having Madras in my party(he already gained 1 or 2 levels with me). Also on level up, I am not sure what attributes point is neccesary to pump him. What skill should i shape him up with? Thanks.
Post Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:48 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next