Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Why are they reviewing NVN based on single-player?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis
I would not have bought NWN if it was not SP. Becouse i actualy like SP more than MP in most games, its more relaxing to play SP.

Rawis you hit the nail on the head. Many people, myself included, would not have bought this game solely for MP. If I bought this game, and it was just a MP game, I would only be able to play it with Ekim every Tues and Thurs. However, since it shipped with the SP module, I can always fire up NWN and get a little taste of 3E RPing.........well, at least until Icewind Dale 2 comes out and dethrones NWN. I, myself, enjoy SP more the MP because it is relaxing and you can go at your own pace. The only MPs I really enjoyed were internet MUDs [like Gemstone III]......sure they were all text based, but you could sort of visualize being in a whole different world. So including that SP module got my $60 for Bioware.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:05 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I tried to take the focus off single player as much as I could in my review... but it's generally what players will see first, and needs to be addressed in a review. I included all aspects (though some more than others).

I wish I could have done two seperate scores for single player and multi. Single player would have got a respectably 80% and multiplayer would have gotten a 90% (despite some terrible net-code which induces a lot of lag).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:58 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Yeah, its not that easy to find a good server to play at if its not with your friends.

And, there is people that don't even have internet, or a 56k modem, whice is not cheap to play on. I think the SP part is nice.
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:33 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
I tried to take the focus off single player as much as I could in my review... but it's generally what players will see first, and needs to be addressed in a review. I included all aspects (though some more than others).

I wish I could have done two seperate scores for single player and multi. Single player would have got a respectably 80% and multiplayer would have gotten a 90% (despite some terrible net-code which induces a lot of lag).

I thought you did a good job in reviewing it Xen. It nailed down all the good points of the game and mentioned the less positive points as well. Actually this game could easily have three seperate reviews for it and it must be hard to cover everything in one review only.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:14 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Mentioning the 'not as good' points got it labelled as a 'lukewarm' review by RPGVault. Hmph. I just don't like the sound of that... it sounds 'wishy washy'. Oh well. It wasn't a negative review of the game, or a red hot positive one either... because NWN was neither icy negative or flaming red hot. It had aspects of both... and I'm sticking by pointing everything I could think of out, not only what I liked best or what I liked least...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:15 pm
Iphigenie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well how would you review multiplayer

First multiplayer is a set of tools and the resulting game value depends on what you choose to play and who you play it with. And if you just go for the random module with people picked online you'll have a bad experience indeed.

Then those tools were rather buggy and unstable in the first weeks of the game. And there were very few modules to test. And the average game reviewer probably cannot easily go in DM mode and module creation mode as you need skills and motivation for that.

So it is no surprise that most early reviews concentrated on the SP. At least that is the same for everyone and can be reviewed.

Newer reviews talk more and more about the multiplayer, again no surprise.
Post Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:12 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2