Arx english translation?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Vlad875
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Arx english translation?

I played the demo of this game and liked it so I bought this game off ebay. The bad thing is that the guy who sold it to me didn't bother mentioning that the entire game is in spanish (text, speech... even the readme is spanish). Is it possible to download a patch or a mod to change the text (dont care about speech much) into english or russian... or even french. Ill take any language over spanish.
Post Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:47 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

That sucks. I would get with ebay and get my money back. I haven't seen any language translations and sending those type of files are beyond my skills. If no one here can help, try the JoWood forums as well. The game is great but you sure do need to know most of what is said for any story line and the quests.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:40 pm
Angrandir
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You might also try asking Mr. Michal Savel (topmrazik@mybox.cz), he is definitely the most famous supplier of Czech support to games sold officially without it. He localized Arx v1.15 into Czech too - I haven't used it myself (I always prefer English in imported games although it is not my native language), but now I installed it for test purposes (test pursposes = this e-mail ) and it looks great - all texts are in Czech, interface, in-game messages, dialogues, they even used a different font (better readable, although maybe less arxish) with Czech diacritic marks. (Speech is still in English of course.) All the localization seems to be included in 3 files -

.\Graph\Interface\menus\MENU_MAIN_BACKGROUND.JPG (= main menu screen - it is in Czech, too!)
.\LOCALISATION\Utext_English.ini (= Czech texts - it is a binary file though, no plain text)
.\misc\Arx.ttf (Czech font)

So most probably it is possible to create such files for English text in Spanish version (it is really sad that someone might be "happy" with getting rid of the game this way), the question is how and whether someone did it already. Maybe there is some English template available... but I am just an end user of Arx, ask Mr. Savel aka Mrazik.
Post Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:23 pm
Vlad875
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the replies. Actually after installing the 1.17 english patch, all the text dialogs were changed to english. The speech is still spanish but at least now I can understand the main plot (and learn a bit of spanish). Also, how similar is Czech to Russian? Will I be able to understand it if I am fluent in Russian?
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:12 am
Angrandir
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

You might try it - ftp://cestiny.gamestar.cz/cz/arxfatalis_cz.zip . There is an uninstaller provided which works OK, you just have to manually copy the original Arx.ttf after uninstall. I think it is too different though (Czech and Russian). I passively understand Russian since I learned it at school (primary), but cannot speak it already. And my Russian friends do not understand my Czech at all - we chat in English/English, or Russian/English.
Post Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:47 am