Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Anyone else encountering dump-to-desktop syndrome?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Aye, this is good to know. I've dl'd the newest driver too, just in case.
No harm in being prepared
Post Fri May 03, 2002 8:03 am

I'm getting bumped to the desktop everytime I try to open the door after playing with the dagger.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 11:42 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

another thing to try out is to lower audio quality a little...
Post Fri May 03, 2002 11:48 am
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Wow..I just went to grab that 28.32 driver (my game isn't here yet, either..) and the d/l was like huge!! It actually took about a minute to d/l with my broadband modem. I thought driver files were usually pretty small?!?
Post Fri May 03, 2002 1:34 pm
maverikm

Also make sure you have a DX 8.1 compliabnt sound card. most onboard sound "chips" are not.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:18 pm

Greylin

If your still having problems after installing the latest video drivers and turning down the hardware acceleration for your sound card try updating your drivers for your motherboard, especially if it comes from VIA Technologies. The 4 in 1 driver should help improve performance and has eliminated/reduced the crash for some people on the official forum. Sorry, I don't remember the web address. Good luck!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:35 pm

Greylin

If your still having problems after installing the latest video drivers and turning down the hardware acceleration for your sound card try updating your drivers for your motherboard, especially if it comes from VIA Technologies. The 4 in 1 driver should help improve performance and has eliminated/reduced the crash for some people on the official forum. Sorry, I don't remember the web address. Good luck!
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:36 pm

Breakapart
Village Leader
Village Leader

Last night i was dropped to the desktop once. No trigger that i could see, just walking around outside.

The room with the dagger, i played through that 3 times-(diff characters, stealing everything in that room, crab meat and all) Never dropped to the desktop...

P4 1.8@2.0
512mb RDRAM
Geforce3
Santa Cruz
(this weekend i'll try the game on my P3-800 GF2, see if it happens)
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:42 pm
Sand

I have the 28.32 drivers, and have had one "dump to desktop" in about 2 hours of play. I was Water Walking from the Bitter Coast and dumped out just as I "zoned" into the starting village. No error message, just hey presto! the desktop. I set out for Balmora and haven't seen the problem since.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 2:48 pm

dk1510

I downloaded those new video drivers and the game seems to be running smoothly. no more dumping! Sweet! Thanks guys, it would have taken me weeks to hear back from tech support.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 4:58 pm

Sledgehammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

don't worry...

For those who are getting scared off by all 'problems' mentioned:
My experience with the game has been flawless. I am playing on an XP 1700+ 512MB GF3 Ti200 WIn2000 at 1024 x 768 with view set to max, and it plays smoothly. I have had zero (0) crashes in about 15 hours of playing. With the wide variety of systems out there, there are bound to be problems and crashes, but my experience (and that of others) shows that the game itself is remarkably bug-free and polished for something so incredibly complex and big... I mean BIG!

I am not trying to minimize the problems of others, just offering hope for those who are getting worried...
Post Fri May 03, 2002 5:25 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Thanks a lot, Sledgehammer...

I'm glad to hear that not everyone who owns the game is having bad luck! You've given hope to midrange PC owners everywhere!!

"Take heart, my friends....we may have a smooth experience yet!!"
Post Fri May 03, 2002 6:28 pm
Gwendo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I heard some news from the internet. It seems Morrowind has gone warez

The good thing is... Bad crack. The game crashes to the desktop.

Does anyone knows when will Morrowind be released in Europe (specially in Portugal)???
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:32 pm
Binslapper

Iīve also had the occasional crash, playing with 23.11-drivers. Downloaded 28.32, and maybe its just me, but doesnīt the lighting get all screwed up? No more of those dark, gloomy dungeons, instead bright colors when close to a lightsource, and pitchblack when away from one? So I unistalled those drivers and got back to 23.11 and the crashes. Now iīm about to try 21.83-drivers instead. Got a p3 800, Asus GF3 ti 500, soundblaster live, running 1024x768x32, pixelshading, full shadows, 2/3 view, AI to lowest, sound to low quality... Anyone got the same problem?
Post Sat May 04, 2002 1:04 pm

Binslapper

Ok, sorry everyone... I got the be the single most stupid guy around. I changed the "linearmethod" to 2 in the ini-file, that caused the weird lighting... So, my advice; leave that to 1. Or 3, havenīt tried that one yet
Post Sat May 04, 2002 2:06 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next