Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Patch to play without CD3?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread

Does anyone else know about this patch? A friend uses it, and sent me to get it at gamecopyworld.com, but when I tried to install the CRACK.EXE patch it wouldn't work (i.e., the game still asked for CD3). So I tried to download the patch to replace WIZ8.EXE but could not find the original to replace. Anyone know anything more?

Thanks for looking,
Corey
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:28 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

What is your reason to search for such patch?
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:28 pm
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I know I wanted to make a backup of CD3 for two reasons. One, I like keeping original game CDs in the box and using backups to play so the originals don't get messed up. Two, my roommate has been watching me play and wants to get a taste of the real game to decide if he really wants to buy it (he's very analytical about these things...and the demo is quite huge and it's much easier to just install and play the game for an hour or so to get the true feel for it.) I know that if he likes it he will buy it, we both believe in supporting companies especially like Sir-Tech that make awesome games like this, I hope there are more games in this style. (I wasn't the one that wrote the original anonymous message, I'm just adding my two cents.)

Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:51 pm

My friend borrowed the game and I wanted to play without disk 3.

- Corey
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:33 pm

Motoki
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Personally, I always use those no-cd patches, for several reasons (all legitmate!). First, I don't like keeping CDs in my drive or having to reach for them (I'm lazy!), also I hate having those cdverify programs running in the background and eating up ram and bandwidth. Also, those programs have been known to cause trouble with games so as far as I am concerned that just eliminates another possible cause of trouble. Personally, I prefered the old days when you had to answer certain questions in-game where the answers could be found in the instruction manual, but in the days of internet that doesn't combat piracy very well.

-MO

[ This Message was edited by: Motoki on 2002-04-01 17:28 ]
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:25 pm
hatrossRig
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

here this link should take you to the crack
http://www.megagames.com/cracks/html/c902890_0.htm

if not then go to http://www.megagames.com
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:27 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, you can have legitimate and not legitimate reasons for such patch or maybe better to say crack.

This files are always near to piracy.

I hope you will use it only for legitimate things.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 9:29 am

Of course it is legitimate. As I stated previously:

"My friend borrowed the game and I wanted to play without disk 3."

- Corey
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:04 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I just explained my first question .
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 7:48 pm

That's cool Danicek

Now I'm frustrated because I *thought* I downloaded and applied the patches (one was to replace WIZ8.EXE and the other to apply CRACK.EXE) correctly. But the game will not run at all now - double clicking CRACK simply pops up a DOS window for about 1/2 second that states something about 'not enough memory.' And my shortcut to WIZ8 now does nothing. Have I ruined my game? I hope it still runs when I get my disks back from my friend tomorrow. And I hope I do not have to uninstall and re-install and then re-install the official patch...

- Corey
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 10:51 pm

Motoki
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Uh just a word of caution before applying those patches, ALWAYS backup your main EXE file before patching it.

Also always virus scan those cracks before you run them. Now I've download lots from gamecopyworld.com and never had anything have any viruses, but you can never be too careful.

[ This Message was edited by: Motoki on 2002-04-02 18:08 ]
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:03 am
psyborg
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I downloaded a patch which is just a seperate EXE file that I use instead of Wiz8.exe

It works fine for me.

I hope people aren't pirating this game though...everyone should support Sir-Tech because if we don't there might not be any more Wizardry games.

Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:52 am

I was under the impression that this WAS the last game in the series
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:23 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Maybe yes, maybe no, who knows. They will maybe develop some games based on first parts of this serie for next generation of mobil phones.
It maybe offer them possibility to exist and maybe also possibility develop Wiz 9.
Post Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:08 pm