My Love/Hate relationship with Arx
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

My Love/Hate relationship with Arx

I just have a few comments to say about Arx. On one hand, it’s one of the most brilliant games I’ve ever played, but on the other hand it is so buggy and full of little inconsistencies and nagging little problems, that it drives me crazy and I’m not that far into it yet.

A few things, (and someone correct me if I’m wrong,). The manual doesn’t explain how to read the pieces of paper or documents you pick up that can be very important. It took me several hrs to figure out that you need to open up your inventory, SINGLE click the paper, and drag to the inventory to read something. (am I missing something?)

Next is the teleport spell (mega spacium?) I don’t know about other peoples games, but I don’t have that one in my spell book. Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I finally, (again after approx. an hr of trial and error), went to the walkthrough and realized that it’s not 1 rune but 2, to cast that one which isn’t explained anywhere that I can find.

Next, how do you USE the teleport spell? One again, another 30 min or so of trial and error to figure that one out. Again, you have to open your inventory and now DOUBLE click to get that one to work.

Here’s another one, (so far anyway), the games random crashes. I’ll be playing along just fine and dandy thank you, and boom, it just crashes the comp. No error message with a black screen, my monitor turns off, and I have to do a hard re-boot. I can take this one, but it kind of sucks when you just spent an hr. doing something and then lose it all, so now I save every 5 or 10 min. BTW, I do have the 1.17 patch and all my drivers, firmware, etc are up to date and I’m well above the recommended PC specs.

Plus, the log book is very vague about everything. I'm still pretty early in the game and although I'm fairly new to RPG"s, it seems to me that this game is ridiculously difficult. Without the PDF walkthrough I'd be completely lost. I just finished the Abkaa quest and tried for over an hr to figure out the security system before finally using the walkthrough. It becomes an exorcise in frustration rather than fun when you have to "cheat" to get through certain parts of the game.

I don't claim to be the brightest star in the universe, but not the dimmest either, and it kind of ruins the fun of the game for me having to use the walkthrough all the time.

Problem is, the game just keep drawing me back, (kind of like Pacino in the Godfather!) so I keep playing. This game is like a diamond in the rough IMO. One minute I'll think "this sucks, I'm uninstalling!", then I'll go a bit further, find something new and say to myself " Hey that's really cool! Wonder what‘s around the next corner.”

Sorry for the long post. If I didn’t really like this piece of crap game, err, I mean fantastic game, I wouldn’t have spent so much time posting this. I have a love/hate relationship with it? Oh and one more thing. I absolutely love the “Thief” like cut scenes in the game.
Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:02 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Hey there, seems you have summed up all the game issues quite well. The devs admit the ingame directions and help are poor to say the least and plan a major improvement on that in Arx2.

The Mega Spacium was bad. If you read your log, you see where it says snake lady taught you it, but not really how to use it. Takes some figuring for sure.

As to crashes, I found the sound settings to be at fault for me. While it said I could use high settings, I crashed out until I used the lowest ones. Try playing with those and just save often til you get it worked out.

I think the game is great for a first time effort. They should have done a longer beta test, but money didn't let them. Now that they have proved they have a product that will sell, I know the next one will be much better. One of the key people was very active coming here to the boards for ideas, comments and to help. Somewhere in here is a Arx2 wish list, so feel free to dig it up and add to it. I know Julien Roby from Arkane comes here so let him see what you have for suggestions.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:02 pm