Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic 2 is awesome in every respect but voice acting - Why?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Kavok
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How about when you reach the limit of a teacher and their voice changes?
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:07 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm not going to argue what is really a matter of personal opinion but by "satisfactory" I meant I was satisfied with the experience. I would not be satisfied with one person voice-acting everything. I don't have the subtitles switched on but the emotion is conveyed quite well for me through the voice acting itself.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:39 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh I think some of it is very good to be fair.

I have only played to level 6 in gothic 2 so far so I dont have a big picture, but I do agree with anyone who says the voice actors in gothic 1 are better.

Many of them did multiple characters also, but they had different dialects etc. There was a voice actor in gothic 1 who was very versatile, he had a jewish voice and a new york street voice etc. Hes not in gothic 2 Im pretty sure.

Your characters voice is the same person, and Xardos is back with several characters this time. I like both of those actors.

Its hard to say. But that thing I pointed out with a male person doing a female voice high pitched was bad so I have to agree some of the voice acting is bad. Some is good though.

I do agree with whoever pointed out that the script now has descriptions such as 'moronic laughter' and ' greedily' that go a long way to describing things that the first one didnt. Thats an improvement at least.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:35 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

The voice of Xardas is too distinct to have him playing other parts even minor ones
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:23 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Irf
Well, voice acting = expensive, and i guess rpg's tend to have rubbish voice actors because of their settings, Gothic 2 is set in medievil times, they hired american voice actors, but america didnt exist back then (well, no english speakers were there) so obviously the voices will not fit, they should ahve hired british voice actors, IMO it would have sounded alot better. It would have been good if they didnt have the same actor for both a lead role and citizens/farmers. And i agree lee, and a few other lead characters have terrible voices

As I've said before, it makes no sense to for everyone to have British accents, as the game is not set in Britain.

My main problem with the voices is that they often don't match the character. The way I would have done it is that the people from the mainland have a different accent than the Khorinisians, like if the mainlanders had British accents but everyone else had American accents. And no Southerners (except maybe some of the farmers). I don't want to approach a firemage and hear him talking like Foghorn Leghorn. Also the Upper Quarter people should be more articulate and refined than the harbor folk.

I miss Diego's old voice.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:50 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

One thing that bothers me is Diegos voice... In the first game his voice was fitting his character so well, but then they changed it... Now he sounds like Mud on crack.

I still don't understand why'd they do that
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:29 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

quote:
Originally posted by Lysander
And no Southerners (except maybe some of the farmers). I don't want to approach a firemage and hear him talking like Foghorn Leghorn. .

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Well whats wrong, I say, whats wrong with good ole Foghorn?

I agree though, especially about Diego. In G1 he had a wise, commanding voice, like he didnt belong in a prison at all. When it came back to look to him for guidance, he sounded like he knew whats what. In this one he sounds like one of the whiny diggers lookin for a hook up from me
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:57 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Maybe all the Gothic 1 voice actors did intend on being in Gothic 2.

But they made the mistake of all travelling in the same convoy and got caught in a bridge collapse.
Xardas and our Hero were held up at the airport during the tragedy.

Then the game was delayed for funerals and mourning time.
By the time everyone was done mourning, it was almost time for the deadline of the second release date.

La la la la la.... Stuffy day imaginations.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:32 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

To be honest, I think you're all just talking a lot of nonsense here.. come on, think about it - Piranha Bytes is a very small company, and Gothic 2 is most likely the game in world with the most voice acting(we're talking many, many hours when you think about the fact that every single quest you do, no matter which way you do it, has got voices in it).

BUT I do agree on the Diego part.. as I've said before, I simply don't understand why they changed the voices on some of the characters.. it really bothers me, because I try to play "full" gothic games where I play through the entire "series" with a single class(now mage, later mercenary, and then templar -> paladin), but it sounds horrible when Diego goes from having a good voice, to the "Mud on crack" voice.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:21 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Gothic 2 has 9 hours of voice acting.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:13 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

That much? Are we talking non-stop talking for 9 hours?
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:49 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, all the 10 second snippets played without a break.
If PB (or JoWooD ?) hired one actor per role the voice recordings would have cost more than EUR 100k.
I only played the English version for 2 or 3 hours so far. Sounds okay to me. Neither better nor worse than the translations we receive in Germany. Of course the German voice acting is better. You always lose atmosphere during the translation.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:29 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Not going to go into the whole "perfect in every respect"-part...

It's annoying that they've changed some of the voices, but honestly, IF you've played games like 'Evil Islands' or 'Arx Fatalis' (both with an EXTREME amount of voice acting, probably as much as Gothic) you WON'T mind the acting in Gothic... trust me.
FF X and FF IX would also probably 'harden' you to voice acting.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:06 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I’ve been on vaca for the past week at the shore but I have an idea on this subject. Why doesn’t PB do auditions for voice acting from the people who play the game? After all, who says the voice actors have to be pros. Hell, I’d do it for free just to be a part of the game. With today’s technology, anyone (almost) can create high quality, emotionally effective sound bites. Since they would not have to spend money on voice acting they could have a different voice for each character and put the money into another part of the game.

Sylvio
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:18 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

There are probably legal reasons why they wouldn't just hire anyone.

And, if you become a psychotic killer, people wouldn't want to buy the game because your voice is all over it.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:49 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next