Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Does it really matter to have STR/DEX beyond 100?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Saruman1964
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Does it really matter to have STR/DEX beyond 100?

Hi,

I am rather curious about this issue. Someone says it does, other people say it does not.

Apart from defining min. requirement to wield a particular melee or ranged weapon, is STR/DEX important for other purposes? I was under the impression that STR/DEX defines the "miminum" requirement to use a weapon, whereas 1H/2h/Bow/Crossbow skills define how much the weapon is effective when used, including critical hits ratio and combos.

If that is true, there is no gain in extending (by wearing artifacts or quaffing potions) beyond 100 STR and/or DEX.

Mana is a complete different issue because it is "consumed" by using spells...

Am I wrong?

Saruman
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:59 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well if u wanna look and feel powerfull then u need em if not then dont
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:24 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

IMO…Yes. Just how you would balance them would depend on the role you want to play. Dex is critical because I have found that it influences almost everything you do. For example; I am playing the role of a hunter so I have concentrated on learning hunting skills and handling a bow. Also, a hunter would be able to heal himself using plants that he finds so I have also learned how to make medicinal potions. As I progress through the game I am relying on my skills as a hunter (stealth & tactics) and my bow to deal with my enemies.

Next game I will follow the life of a Paladin…concentrating on STR & close combat weapons and crossbow.

Sylvio
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:25 pm
Predator
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Critical strike= Strenght+ Weapons damage

It's useful to learn 100+ strenght. I used to kill Orc Elites in three hits with 100 str. After increasing strenght to 200, I started to kill them in one or two hits. But you can finish game very easily with 100 strenght.
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:13 pm
Saruman1964
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Predator
Critical strike= Strenght+ Weapons damage

It's useful to learn 100+ strenght. I used to kill Orc Elites in three hits with 100 str. After increasing strenght to 200, I started to kill them in one or two hits. But you can finish game very easily with 100 strenght.

You are stating that a critical hit has a cumulative effect based on basic weapon damage + strenght, whereas a normal hit is based on basic weapon damage only. From that point of view then there is no upper limit to strenght, in the sense "the higher the better". Which is already an answer.

But since not every hit is a critical one, meaning that there is another formula to compute 'when a hit is a critical'. I believe that formula is based on skills (1h/2h/bow/crossbow). If that is true, perhaps is it better to invest in training that will produce an higher probability of achieving a critical hit.

Do you know the formula to compute when an hit is critical? That would shed some light...

Saruman
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:34 pm
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

simple enogh. see the percentage next to your expertise with a certain type of weapon? that percantage is the chance of critical hit.

i.e. your 2H sword skill is at 50%, so you have a 50% chance of a critical hit. If your 1H skill is at 100%, you have a 100% chance of a critical hit.

This applies to melee type weapons, I'm not sure if it also applies to ranged weapons, you'll need someones opinion who knows. I've yet to make a character that uses ranged weapons.
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:03 pm
Predator
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

yes you are right saruman besides I said it is enough to have 100 to finish the game.

Delo stated that "percentage of skill = percentage of critical strike". You can easily get your skill %60 and I think it is enough reason to get 100+ strenght. More damage don't do a damage ,eh? =)
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:20 pm
TheGreatMoose
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Regarding the thing about bows.
The bow damage is calculated with Bow damage + dex for EACH hit you manage to do.
and the bow/xbow skill % describes your chance to hit
Str. 210
Dex. 85
Mana. 55
1h skill. 100%
2h skill. 60%
Bow skill. 10%
X-bow skill. 10%

Protections.
Weapon. 120
Arrow. 120
DrgnFire. 90
Magic. 70
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:21 pm
konny666
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Beyond 100? Most certainly not. A STR and DEX of 60-70 will be more than sufficient to finish the game as a fighter-type character. Even then, it'll feel easy.
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:28 pm