FSAA in GOTHIC 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Helly
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

FSAA in GOTHIC 2

I want to use FSAA (FULL SCENE ANTI-ALIASING ) in gothic 2.But when i activate it from my advanced options menu in desktop properties or in gothic.ini i LOOSE THE VIDEO in G2
I m using 44.03 DETONATORS on a Geforce 4 Ti 4400 Card.
I saw somewhere in another thread an issue with 44.03 and FSAA.
If i install another detonator driver will i be able to use Fsaa?
HEEELLLPPPP graphics look like crap with jaggies
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:43 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

It's unlikely to be fixed with another Detonator version, because the problem lies in the used video library (Bink).

.nico

ps: try another FSAA mode, some will work and some won't
pps: close all other applications to avoid interferences.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:05 pm
Helly
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I used after disabling anisotropic filtering from the gothic.ini 4x antialiasing and it works just fine now.The weird thing is that i set anti aliasing 2x again and now it works
I ll try anisotropi with antialiasing together and post if there is a bug and video doesn't work
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:04 am
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

FYI: It seems that ATI's new Catalyst (3.5) does not have this problem anymore, in any FSAA mode.
Maybe nVidia's Detonator will follow

.nico
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:49 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Helly, keep us updated which modes work and which donīt. If you make it so that I can copy & paste the results itīs even better.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:04 pm
Helly
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well re -enabled anisotropic filtering through Gothic.ini.
Looks like video doesn't work in quicunx or 2x mode after all.But 4x mode works fine Detonators 44.03(believe it's the same in all detonators)
As for the image quality can't be sure Fssa work bugless.In some occations seems to work but in other there are jaggies on edges which seem to me that nothing should be visible with clear eyesight in 1024*768 4xFSAA that i play don't u think?
Performance is almost identical in my rig .Athlon Xp 2600+ 512 Ram DDR
which means that framerate(fraps used) is in the scale of 18-115 FPS.Mostly 30-60 fps
MAN THIS GAME ENGINE SUX,very serious memory handling problems since the first gothic game
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:17 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Why donīt you use the internal frame counter? Type FRATE into the char screen and close it with B or Esc.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:39 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

FSAA doesn't seem to work at all for me with a GeForce 4 4200
and detonator 43.45. I can see no difference in the jaggies between 4x FSAA and no FSAA.
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:25 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Enabled it in the gothic.ini?
Post Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:27 am
Majik
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmmm.. I am using a Geforce4 Ti4400 with Aniso @ 4X, and FSAA @ 4XS with ZERO problems on the Det. 44.03... Also have them enabled in Gothic.ini as well..

Anyways, the only problems Im having are some occasional Stuttering of my character when running in the forest. The strange part of that is that the FPS reads at 20-25 when this happens.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:19 am
Brak
City Guard
City Guard

I have a GEForce Ti4400 as well...switching from 2x to 4x FSAA in my video driver solved my video problem and the game looks great.

Brak
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:46 pm
Majik
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well that certianly is strange.. Wonder why 2x causes probs and 4x doesnt??

I never even noticed any problems, but that would obviously be because I never strayed from the 4XS FSAA.
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:53 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I read this tread yesterday and noticed it related to something I saw two nights ago. I have been playing with the .ini file trying to find an acceptable configuration of both performance and beauty. I got it running pretty good now but observed that after my last edit that I no longer saw the loading screen or the loading screen between OW/NW. So last night I turned off FSAA in the ini file and the load screen came back but I took an eye candy hit. So I went into Det. 44.03 and turned on FSAA to 4XS and started the game leaving FSAA off in the ini. Looked great but big performance hit (BIG). Exited the game, went back into Det. and scaled back FSAA to 4X. Game now looks good & works good. I also tried aniso filtering but the textures were too blocky up close so I turned it off.

Eguip: AMD 1.1 (soon to be Barton 2500+) on MSI K4 Ultra-SR MB
GF4 Ti 4600 64MB DDR
Detonator 44.03

Just downloaded Det. 44.65 and will try it out tonight.

Sylvio
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:29 pm
[PB]Nico
Keeper of the Bugs
Keeper of the Bugs

If zVidEnableAntiAliasing is enabled in Gothic.INI the engine enables anti aliasing (sort-independend) by render state. This only works if you don't force FSAA in your gfx driver.
I recommend to leave zVidEnableAntiAliasing disabled and to configure FSAA in the display control panel (who knows the card better than the driver...).

.nico
Post Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:20 pm
Majik
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by NicoDE
If zVidEnableAntiAliasing is enabled in Gothic.INI the engine enables anti aliasing (sort-independend) by render state. This only works if you don't force FSAA in your gfx driver.
I recommend to leave zVidEnableAntiAliasing disabled and to configure FSAA in the display control panel (who knows the card better than the driver...).

.nico

Is that correct? I mean, if I have it ENABLED in the INI file, AND in the Driver options then it will actually be the Softwares AA, not the Hardwares?? I ask because I was under the impression that it just allowed whatever hardware FSAA option you had enabled to work, instead of forcing it to disable in-game.. This was only my assumption tho.

I actually started playing the game with just my Driver FSAA 4XS enabled, and after about 10 gaming hours I learned about the INI settings. So I enabled the FSAA option in the INI file and played. Once In the game I honestly did notice some improved IQ, but I figured it was because the game was blocking the hardware FSAA from working until I "allowed" it by enabling FSAA thru the INI.

Now I am confused, is there somewhere to confirm your statement? Im not trying to say you are WRONG. I would just like to read up on the subject so that I can get my facts strait..
Post Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:58 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next