Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny

Has anyone else played this game besides me? I know its old, but I absolutely love it. I think most of the complaints that reviewers levelled against it were quite unjustified. If anything, it has solidified my opinion that the RPG and Adventure genres should be wed. Think about it--a grand scale RPG with an immersive, extremely reactive environment and tons of hidden areas, puzzles, and places to explore. That would be the type of game I would like to play. How about you guys?
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:40 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

While I'm on the Subject...

What are some other good first person RPGs you guys would suggest playing...something with plenty of exploration and adventure elements?
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:44 pm
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

Gothic, it isn't first person, but it's a golden remedy for everything
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:48 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Figures...

I was considering taking up LSD if my next RPG experience neutered me as badly as all the games I've been playing lately.
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:53 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I loved the Lands of Lore games (yes, I'm one of the few). If you liked LoL III, yeah, try Gothic. You might also give Morrowind a try, though it's a bit less focussed.
And please, don't double-post. It's considered bad style.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:35 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
I loved the Lands of Lore games (yes, I'm one of the few). If you liked LoL III, yeah, try Gothic. You might also give Morrowind a try, though it's a bit less focussed.

Well that explains something. As you may know I really didn't like LOL at all and I also wasn't impressed with the Gothic demo but I really liked Morrowind - perhaps this is a pattern

To be fair I have never played the full version of Gothic but I keep been tempted as there are many people on here who's opinion I hold in high reguard (such as Jaz's) who love the game - perhaps I'll try when it is released on budget.

As for Morrowind - I loved the game but I was playing it alongside Neverwinter Nights so I didn't get bored - I could imagine after a while Morrowind could start to lose my interest - if only they would release an expansion pack ..... oh they did
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:10 pm
Elco
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I agree with every complain lodged against it by reviewers.

In addition it was extremely buggy, and they never released a patch for it that I am aware of. At its heart it wasnt a terrible game, but it wasnt a good one either. Im suprised anyone liked it enough to defend it after all this time.

I absolutely loved Gothic, so I dont think there is any real parallel between the 2 games.

Last edited by Elco on Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:29 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

I've been trying to get my hands on Daggerfall lately, and I'll definitely try Morrowind when I upgrade my video card and processor. As far as Gothic goes, I'll definitely try it out.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:30 pm
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

I really don't agree with all the terrible reviews it got about its graphics. First of all, though they were outdated, the level of detail and the surrealistic, haunting beauty and atmosphere of the game is unmatched. But even further, the unique areas and the originality of the game was refreshing.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:32 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
Well that explains something. As you may know I really didn't like LOL at all and I also wasn't impressed with the Gothic demo but I really liked Morrowind - perhaps this is a pattern

Well, I don't think so. As for me liking LoL... I'm probably the only one on these boards who does, so that's not telling anything. As for MW, it is lots of fun, and I'll finish it one day for sure, but it's just not fascinating enough for me. I keep on playing it, but I always take breaks to play games I find more appealing, or rather, appealing enough to finish them in one take. I mean, I took a break to play Renegade, then I took a break to play JK II, and now I'm taking a break to play Gothic II. And if things go really wrong, Deus Ex II and C&C Generals will be out before I finished MW, so the next break is scheduled in advance, anyway...
MW is interesting enough for me to WANT to finish it, undless DS or NWN which I bought, played for a while, uninstalled and sold.

Back on track. About the LoL III bugs - I never encountered one ! And as for liking it, I absolutely *loved* LoL II which has been regarded as the worst game in the trilogy which I never understood. But perhaps it was just Luther the protagonist I loved and not the game, who knows .
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:03 am
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

Honestly, LOL2 is definitely a cult classic. I don't really know why I like it either, but the people who have actually played it gave it good reviews. Just read what people wrote about LOL2 on their reviews on LOL3 in Amazon.com. Also, some people posted on the strategy guide for LOL2 that they enjoyed the game. And beyond that, look at the reviews it got on gamespot.com from players. Everyone who actually played that game loved it, though that's not saying much, since not many people have played it.

In any case, I have several theories on why I like the game, but mostly it centers around, the interesting, diverse, intriguing areas, and the fantastic plot. It was the game that defied all conventions.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:50 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Seriously, what I liked best in LoL II was the protagonist's fight to control his ability to change. I mean, in the beginning you change involuntarily, without knowing when or where or into which of the shapes in your book you might change. Later you get more control over this ability, and so on. IMO this was very well done.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:00 pm
Elco
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

oohhh you are talking about lol2. I just assumed thats what LOL3 was called because its been so long.

Never played 2, but it was 3 that I though was way too buggy, and not that great. but I did finish it so it must not have been too horrible.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:20 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

elco, we were talking about LoL III at first, later about LoL II which was the most 'hated' game in the series. For me, LoL III ran just fine, personally I didn't encounter a single bug. A pity that you met soo many.

Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:57 pm
Elco
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Now the game was stable it was just riiden with non-crash bugs. many of them didnt occur if you played exactly like the devs planned you would. but how many do that? I would have to re-install it to get more specific, but I dont plan on doing that.

at the time I was new to pentium class gaming, so maybe my expectations on bugs were high. These days (sadly) Im hapy to just get a stable game.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 8:28 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next