Is there a Gothic 3???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Coma
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is there a Gothic 3???

Is there a Gothic 3 out now, available or if it isn't, please tell me when/if it's going out and where I can find a preview/review of the game.Thanks for the help (if there is any)
Post Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:41 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Try again next year. And congratulations on posting this in the adventure forum. Overlooking our 6 Gothic forums is quite an achievement.
Post Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:48 pm
Dawnblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Overlooking our 6 Gothic forums is quite an achievement.

Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:54 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

nope no G3 yet .. suposse to be out in Q4 2005 if i remeber corrctly ?
but it'll most likely be en german so if you want the english version you'll most likely have to wait till Q4 2006 .. and then add the countless delays there'll be due to contract problems and distriburters and then we are looking at Q3-4 4009
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:51 pm
Coma
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm roumanian and I'm used to english and french, nothing else, i tried learning german, but it just didn't work out. I hope JoWood would hurry the G3 process so I can enjoy myself, like I have in the last 3 Gothics...
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:03 pm
Rangehurts
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Uocjat
so if you want the english version you'll most likely have to wait till Q4 2006 ..

Q4 2006?! it will take them 1 years to translate the game?! I thought it would be Q1-2 2006. I mean it takes less then a month to translate a movie. and 1 year for the game? even if its gothic..
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:11 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

well normally it takes about a year or so for the english version to come out .. but not due to the translation but the countless delays
Post Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:19 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, that means that they are SLOW! ME TRANSLATE GAME IN SICKSTY SEKONDS!
Post Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:40 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

quote:
Originally posted by Rangehurts
quote:
so if you want the english version you'll most likely have to wait till Q4 2006 ..

Q4 2006?! it will take them 1 years to translate the game?! I thought it would be Q1-2 2006. I mean it takes less then a month to translate a movie. and 1 year for the game? even if its gothic..

That's too long
Post Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:49 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

According to Mike Hodge, they are making it a priority to make the German & English version releases VERY close together.

My source is the comments he made about GIII while at the Bremen, Germany PB celebration. The transcript is somewhere on worldofgothic.com site under the GIII zone.
Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:13 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

well that sounds great .. but sadly im begining to think that the dev team dont really have all that much say in when and how the game is released ..
just look at the first gothic they couldnt even finish all the stuff they had planed before some money hungry publisher wanted it released ..
but still i really hope that pratice makes perfect so that they wont pull another "torture-our-english-fans-to-insaniety" stunt

but i gotta say one thing about PB thoses guys aint just doing it for the money
they put alot of heart into makeing a great game that he gamers will love
so im sure that how ever it will turn out whit GIII's english release it will be worth the wait

ok sorry if theres a hell of alot of spelling errors in here but its like 6 am here in denmark now and my eyes hurt so i can hardly see what im typeing ..
Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:40 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
(...)the dev team dont really have all that much say in when and how the game is released(...)

That's right. It was said about TNotR as well (English language version dev side production started shortly after the original game went gold, and you know what happened).
Post Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:58 am
Kahrik
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sad state of affairs

First of all, think about how much more dialogue a computer game, especially a game like Gothic, has compared to a movie. A movie can have a max of of 2 hours or so of speech but Gothic 2, as you`ll recall, had something like 9. I live in Japan now (here teaching English, but originally from the U.S.) and I am always waiting for the newest movies to come out here. Depending on the motivation of the movie studios to make money in the japanese market, the translators can take up to 6 months just to slap some subtitles on a 2 hour flick. I myself could translate a 2 hour movie from english to rough japanese in about 6 hours, but for some reason it takes movie studios much longer...

But it`s something different when you have to translate to a different language, and then record new voices for all the characters, as in the case of Gothic 3. All I`m trying to say is that the amount of effort that is required for such an endeavor should be respected. If the dialogues from both the english language version and german versions are not developed concurrently, then it`s amazing that the two versions get released within even 6 months of each other. That would be accomplishing much more than most movie studios typically pull off.

And about finishing the games before they are released - this has become sort of an industry "bad habit", which is practiced by almost all publishers. But, if it was up to the developers alone, they would conceivably hold the game in production for as long as they needed to finish all the things they wanted in the game, which sounds good, but, like you and I when we were in college, they might take a bit longer to accomplish their tasks than they would if they had somebody constantly on their case to get it finished. Of course, it goes without saying that developers need to get the game done some time to be able to pay their staff, but without the pressure from the publisher, it may take much MUCH longer. So in a way, publishers serve a important role, which is not to say that they don`t put TOO much pressure on developers at times, and it`s true that they often force the release of a game before it`s finished. This can cause the developers to have to make addons that patch up holes in the original game that would have been nonexistent had they had more time to finish the game. I love TnotR but nobody who plays it can deny that, after having played the original without the addon, the addon really fleshes out and patches up some holes that were in the original game - uncannily indicative of the developers not having enough time to finish the game (I refer you to the stone circles, Lares as an NPC, and many other things).

I want Pirahna Bytes to take as long as they need, but to not forget how eagerly their public is awaiting their newest masterpiece. I have every confidence that it will be the RPG to rival all other RPGs, and be a huge breakthrough for them financially. The Gothic games really are something unique, and as such understandably require a bit more "tender loving care".
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:16 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

quote:
Originally posted by kahrik
movie can have a max of of 2 hours or so of speech but Gothic 2, as you`ll recall, had something like 9.

heh, the normal playtime for GII was about 35 hours.

I think the dev team can take as long as they want... but the utter latest moment is Q2. I dont want to wait another whole year or longer for GIII, I have waited long enough.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:47 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by mazu
... SLOW! ME TRANSLATE GAME IN SICKSTY SEKONDS!

But we would like to see a translation without shouting and without typo's

Btw, cool that we have a G3 forum now.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:34 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next