DAoC: Foundations Released
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

DAoC: Foundations Released

After years of promising, months of talking and weeks of testing, player housing has finally been introduced to Mythic's popular mmorpg Dark Age of Camelot today in the form of the free expansion pack "Foundations". Here's the full press release:<BR>

<BLOCKQUOTE><i>
<P class=MsoNormal>FAIRFAX, Va, - June 24, 2003 - Mythic Entertainment, developer and publisher of the multiple award-winning game <B><I>Dark Age of Camelot,</I></B> today released <B><I>Dark Age of Camelot: Foundations</I></B>, a downloadable free expansion that adds player and guild housing to the its popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game.<I> </I></P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Foundations brings customizable real estate to Mythic’s online world by enabling players and guilds to pick the neighborhood they want to live in, choose the perfect lot, and then select a house style that fits their taste - and budget.  They then can decorate, and redecorate, the house’s interior and exterior. </P>
<P class=MsoNormal>In a first for housing systems in online games, the outside garden and yard of houses can be decorated by the player.  Hundreds of objects are being made available for decoration, including hedges, flower gardens and stone walls for the garden; and pictures, torches, stuffed animals and furniture for the interior and even more options will be made available through future expansions.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>“Mythic is the industry leader in offering its players updates and improvements to the game as part of their subscription service,” said Mark Jacobs, President and CEO of Mythic Entertainment.  “<I>Foundations</I> demonstrates that commitment now and into the future.”</P>
<P class=MsoNormal> Mythic’s new expansion also brings many other new features to the game. Players can now use their homes as private, outdoor markets to sell items to other players by hiring a "consignment merchant" to stand outside their house and hawk their wares - even when the player is offline.  Also with <I>Foundations</I>, crafters can open their own home business by purchasing crafting tools to put in their house.  Uup to four storage vaults - that store up to 100 items each - can be placed in a house's basement; a tenfold increase of available storage space.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Initially, 36,000 housing lots will go up for auction on Mythic's U.S. servers.  Lots will be sold through an innovative reverse auction process which counters the first-come first-serve land grab problems of housing systems in other online games.  The price of lots will initially be very high, but step down at steady increments until they reach a set minimum price or the lot is purchased. This innovative reverse auction process allows prices to fluctuate according to location and market demand.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>Housing lots are located in special housing zones located in the home area of each Realm that are safe from attack by members of the other realms . Lots are grouped in a series of villages of about ten lots each, with paths connecting villages to one another.  There are rivers, lakes, woods, and hills in the peaceful housing zones, which will lead to some lots - such as lakefronts – that will command higher prices than others. </P>
<P class=MsoNormal>"The reaction to <I>Foundations</I> from our beta testers has been extremely positive," says Walter Yarbrough, Content Producer, Mythic, for the expansion. "But, we're not done - we plan to continue to add content to Foundations over time through regularly downloaded patches, in much the same way as we add content to the regular game."</P>
<P class=MsoNormal>The <I>Dark Age of Camelot: Foundations</I> expansion is available for download at www.camelotherald.com/housing, as well as on the recently release <I>Dark Age of Camelot: Gold Edition</I> CD and the CD included in the July issue of <I>Computer Gaming World</I> magazine. There are versions of <I>Foundations</I> for both the original <I>Dark Age of Camelot</I>, as well as a version compatible with <I>Dark Age of Camelot: Shrouded Isles</I>, the game's first retail expansion.</P>
<P class=MsoNormal><I>Dark Age of Camelot and Shrouded Isles</I> were developed by Mythic Entertainment and co-published with Abandon Entertainment.   </P></i></BLOCKQUOTE>
<P class=MsoNormal> </P>
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:31 pm
Greymane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Mythic has actually caused a great deal of disappointment with this housing release. It was promised long ago, and conveniently availablle now, only as the launch of SWG looms large. They talk like it's something most players will have, but even after months of playing to gather in game gold, few actually can afford it.
It's really too bad, they 'could' have added to the community and boosted crafters a great deal by making housing more affordable in game with it's vendor merchant add-ons.. (also only at great expense). Instead they gave the players a totally new goal in their self proclaimed Realm Vs. Realm game.. obtain a house and try to keep it.. yes, keep it, it requires substantial money to pay the WEEKLY rent of the house you already BOUGHT at outrageous sums.
Well, I personally feel they would have done themselves a favor NOT to launch housing as a way to keep players from switching to SWG, given the way they are doing it.. very poorly thought out and shows a total lack of focus on their own game goals as stated very long ago.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:49 pm
Gravel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

eeeh

In SWG you have to buy a house also and upkeep daily costs. So these to will be for only players who make enough cash eq crafters. They will use them as a shop.
So same story here. the only game i know sofar that has free houses is AO. Then again, it looks like a steriel white hospital and you can not even buy a couch....
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:16 pm