Members
Usergroups
My dump-to-desktop problem
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Loth

My dump-to-desktop problem

First, I have a low-end system: a Micron 550mhz, 256MB RAM, a V770 TNT2 Ultra (32MB), and an SB Live Value card and I'm running WinXP Pro. I've updated with the Detonator drivers to 28.32 and the latest SB Live drivers for XP. I've tried EVERYTHING recommended including turning down the sound quality and hardware acceleration and I haven't made any progress.

I envy the people who at least have seen some game because I get the menu, click on "Play", and then I get the loading screen and it dumps me every single time to the desktop after making this highpitched digital squeak-n-squeal noise. Ok, if you want to call it progress, I switched to windowed mode and happened to see the Morrowind logo start coming up before XP stopped the program cold and I got the usual XP error message and the opportunity to send the error report to Microsoft. The digital squealing noise also happens with this method, too. Then I'm dumped to the desktop and again, I've seen nothing in the game. I can't get to the in-game start menu no matter what I've tried.

Anyone else with this case?
Post Fri May 03, 2002 7:40 pm

DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Try here: http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5475
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Fri May 03, 2002 8:17 pm
Loth

Thanks DzD but nope, I've been through this thread and tried this stuff. Everyone seems to at least get inside and play the game a bit before crashing. I get to the initial menu, I click on "Play", then it starts loading the .CSM file and data files and then it immediately crashes to the desktop. I believe there's another menu that's supposed to show but I can't get to it.
Post Fri May 03, 2002 8:53 pm

RyeDog
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Try This..

When i disabled my antivirus software, the game started to run smoothly. usually, i would go walk-about for maybe 10-15 minutes, and it would dump me back to the desktop. Now the game seems fine. Maybe it is just a coincidence? but i though it would be worth mentioning.

I have not checked thru the other forums yet, but im checking it out right now.

Good Luck
Post Fri May 03, 2002 10:34 pm
Loth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the suggestion RyeDog but that can't be it, either. I don't have any antivirus software installed on my PC. I'll keep searching and trying anything, though...
Post Sat May 04, 2002 5:28 am

I have the same exact problem..
Post Sat May 04, 2002 4:41 pm

Walko

solution maybe

Go to Start>Run>DXDIAG>Display-tab
Disable each of the DirectX features from bottom to top. Then enable them one by one from top to bottom. Test Direct3D.

Hope this helps.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 5:11 pm

Loth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks but still no luck

Thanks Walko, I thought this might be the one that'd do it but nothing has changed. I'm still encountering the very same problem.

I was slightly "encouraged" to see someone else post the identical problem I've having to the official Bethesda forum. Up until today I'd heard no one else say they were having the same problem I was having. Of course no one has any answers and Bethesda's answer seems to be "update your drivers". Sigh...

Just for kicks I downloaded the RAD Video Bink player and tried running the MW_logo.bik file because I'm 99.9% sure this is the file that starts playing when the game glitches out and crashes to the desktop. With the Bink player it runs fine. If this clues someone off to an answer, hooray. Please lemme know.

Anyway, back to the drawing board...
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:13 pm
Sarren

I'm that person from the elderscrolls forum, I have the exact same problem I've tried everything I could possibly think of, updated everything, tried turning down hardware acceleration, tried disabling sound in the game/and disabling my sound card. I've tried absolutely everything I could think of, and still getting the same problem.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 10:43 pm

Sarren

Oh, and my icq is 50402006 and my aim name is jt952. Feel free to message me and I'll let you know if I manage to get it to work....or at least get to the start menu
Post Sat May 04, 2002 10:47 pm

dump to desktop people

hi my name is Chris Wriley just so everyone will feel a little better i have a pentium 2 466mhz / 320 sdram / geforce 2 mx400 and im happy to say besides the initial stuttering in the beginning movie i have had no problems playing morrowind so far and it runs very smoothly no choppiness or stuttering or loss of framerate so far even with lots of people around me magic casting looks beautiful as well and the worls is so huge . My very first encounter with the silt rider and its bellowing sound kept me in awwww while i stood on a rock looking up at this monstrosity and listening to its bellow echo outward AMAZING . by the way i run win 98 2nd edition. so never fear it can work im living proof
Post Sat May 04, 2002 11:14 pm

Darke
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I know what you mean

I am running XP pro under a 1.2 Athlon, GF3 and 640 meg onboard and I get the exact same problem. I dont get the squeak noise but it dumps be back to desktop and I can see the frames it was supposed to load in. I can run the game under 98 compatability but not in XP.

I havent found a fix yet though. I was hoping to find one here.

D

Remember you are mortal.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 11:25 pm
Loth
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

How I fixed this problem...

--- I formatted my HD and did a fresh install of WinXP ---

Yep, that's what I had to do to eliminate the problem. Morrowind now runs and in approximately two hours of play I've experienced no crashes, glitches, etc. I imagine this solution could possibly help anyone who's encountering dumps to the desktop and such. I guess I'd highly recommend it if the option is viable for you.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 5:53 am

Other random suggestions for people with this issue...
Update soundcard drivers, make sure soundcard (and drivers) are DX 8.1 compatable.
Defrag to within an inch of the system life before you install.
Use the free ENDITALL prog to shut everything non-essential down prior to install and everytime you run.
Make sure desktop is set to 32 bit
Try making the desktop the same size as you are running MW, or alternatively try changing if they are the same.

Good luck....
Post Mon May 06, 2002 6:21 am