View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Kick Boxing my way to glory

Hello everybody and Merry X-mas
I have undertaken a new adventure. I have read about others trying this type of quest, but they usually resort to enhancing their abilities through marvin.

I am seeing how far I can get using no weapons except my own body and zero use of marvin.
So far I have reached level 10, and have cleared out the old mine.
I am going to join a camp soon so the better armor will help.
It really hasn't been much of a challenge so far. I had to soften up the dudes that you fight in the arena because you can't strike fast enough to hit between their blows. Aside from that wolfs can be hard, but no real problems.

I am embarking on this journey because I just finished the digger's quest (digger armor, and pick-axe) up to the point where Uriezel is neccessary to continue. The diggers quest was pretty easy as long as you can fight well against the templars. Orcs are a piece of cake.

I hope to make it as far as the sleeper temple with this kick boxing style, but the templars will be impossible with my fists.
Wish me luck as this is a challenging, yet entertaining way to play the game. I am running out of ways to play gothic 1/2notr and I gave up on finding Chromanin. So any additional ideas on various styles of play would be intersting.
Later everybody, rordog
Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:57 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Kick Boxing my way to glory

quote:
Originally posted by Rordog
Wish me luck

Good luck.
Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:09 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@Rordog,

Excellent, it can be done but there are some issues that need to be dealt with, and some unknown "strange" connections.

1. At a few points in the game, i'm sure you will know, the power you gain may seem almost sufficent to cope but some magic will be needed, obviously you can use the spell scrolls, even runes if you become a kick-boxing magician - - - - ?

2. Your choice of guild and the path within the camps could be easier or harder depending at which point in the game you make the changes.

3. You did not need to "use" uriziel to complete the "diggers quest" game, you only needed to "have" it in your inventory, i did it - (no marvin) - - this still applies to this new kickboxing game.

4.Now the "strange" bit, excuse me if i seem to be crossing topics but, very seriously, the chance of solving the true cromanin quest still remains open, oh yes! , very much, and maybe even more so by the method you choose. A true mage or druid type npc in some other games may have no melee weapons as such, this underdog (sub-ordinate) aspect is in my view, a much "mentioned in the books" factor/influence.

5. I would be interested to see what level/degree of magic that you ((*must*)) use throughout the the game until the ending.

Best of luck.
Keep us gothic fans posted of your progress.
Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:20 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

@wulf:
That is interesting about completing the diggers quest. I just assumed you had to use Uriziel/Uriziel spell. Well I guess you know what they say about when you assume...
I will load up that game again shortly and see just what I can accomplish.
In response to playing with the use of magic.. OUT of the question, with the exception of teleporting and also telekinesis for getting stuff. Or in the case where it is specifically neccessary to complete the quest (which I can't think of one). If I can't exploit the AI and various terrain glitches sufficiently then progress will be ceased indefinitely.
I will of course attempt the Chromanin quest during this game, but my hopes pertaining to me completing the quest have all but faded. (I do hope that someone can, maybe even before X-mas, which is only 3 days).

Progress report:
Just walked all over the minecrawler queen in about 5-6 hits, so I can now go get better old camp armor.
Black goblins currently present the most difficulty ( though not that much). I can just about dispose of them in one hit (maybe 5 more strength), but they move around soooo much and I hit soooo slow.
I think there is a good amulet that will help with my strength in the vacinity of Gomez. I will search for it and then the black goblins will fall quickly and quietly. I will soon test out how well my character stands up against snappers.
Unfortunately, this quest will be on hiatus until early January when I get back from X-mas break.
Merry X-mas everybody
later, rordog
Post Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:07 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Read the original diggers' quest report made years ago(a lot of tips on how to do things, which should work just as well without the pickaxe).

The only problem you might enouncter without even a pickaxe is doing damage to trolls, other than that, you should be okay.
Post Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:53 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

@Maylander
already read the original diggers quest. that is why I undertook that style of play for one of my games.
Reading those excerpts made the quest sound very challenging and exciting.
It was, but it was no where near as difficult as I was hoping.

The kick-boxer and the digger vary immensly. the digger by definition wears only digger clothes and uses only a pick-axe.
the kick-boxer on the otherhand has complete choice over armor (best available at the time), but can use absolutely no weapons unless quest specific.

The original digger quest does highlight numerous situations to take advantage of the enemy, but stategy is entirely different when you hit slower than molases in january. Albeit I can hit basically as hard as the digger (minus ~7damage) so that is not really the issue.
the problem emerges against fast attacking enemies whether it be a sword or a mouth/claws. If they break your attack each time and it takes practically forever to strike again I am sure the inherent difficulty can be appreciated.

Anyway the quest will continue in about 1 week. Until then I will enjoy turkey and the other delicous side dishes that encourage gluttony.

On an unrelated note what is up with the Chromanin quest???
I guess the validity of Wolverine_Men will be exposed very soon regarding truth or fiction in his tales.
later, rordog
Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:46 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

You should do okay, although I admit taking on a Shadowbeast or one of the temple orcs might be extremely tough. If you can wear any armor you want I guess the most important thing is to always be as up-to-date as possible. It might be a real challenge actually, but it shouldn't be much more difficult than the digger quest, only different(the two require very different strategies).

Make sure to keep us updated, and merry christmas. Enjoy the food(I've already enjoyd two days of great food, and am now looking forward to several days of non-stop Premier League football).

Oh, and by the way, the Chromanin thing is a big joke. A few years ago someone(can't remember his name anymore) joked around about finding a "swampwitch" or a "supersword", but it was all a joke. At that time most of us hadn't played the game thoroughly enough to be certain it was a joke, but it didn't take long for everyone to realize he was joking. By now however, Gothic has been searched inside out, by myself and many others, so finding something new after 3 years is very unlikely. Like Gorath said in one of the first posts of the thread, "he would be the first one to find it in 3 years". I think most of the players in here(including you, probably) know every single rock in Gothic, so I find it hard to believe that anyone would fall for such a joke.
Post Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:25 am