Usergroups
Will Dungeon Siege.....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeon Siege

Author Thread
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I know what to expect from the game, unfortunately. I don't mind games that concentrate heavily in specific areas. I think it can be quite good. However, I generally expect to see those elements done well (most certainly not the case in DS). To me, DS is going to make Decent to Undermountain look fun.

I know something about the Editor's capabilities, which is why it is only the Mods I'm interested in (mentioned in other thread, I think).

If you think that is trashing, tell it to Chris Taylor. His actual words were much worse, though (not to mention embarrasing).
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:59 am

A cool thing is, is that Ultima fans are remaking a bunch of Ultimas with Dungeon Siege. In the works are Ultima 4, 5, 6 7, and 9.
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:16 pm

Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yet you've never addressed my question to you about what you actually think this game is about, and what it will have.

I've already provided quotes from Chris about the few points you've brought up.

At first you said there was no character control, and then you commented on dialog trees...

But that's cool, everyone has opinions it just annoys me when people bad mouth anything and don't give reasons, just assumptions.

Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:37 pm
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

"Yet you've never addressed my question to you about what you actually think this game is about, and what it will have."

Because you don't need to know, and I suspect they wouldn't matter to you. Besides, the one's I've already mentioned are still valid. Don't worry, I'm discussing them with a few people who have actually played the game, though. I'll fill you in later.

"I've already provided quotes from Chris about the few points you've brought up."

How, exactly, has THAT helped? Dialogue can be good in mods? Well, that's nice. What about the game?

"At first you said there was no character control, and then you commented on dialog trees..."

That wasn't my comment on dialogue, that was Chris' (one of them was, anyway). As for character control...what quote was that?

"it just annoys me when people bad mouth anything and don't give reasons, just assumptions. "

Are you the same Llama from the Pool of Radiance 2 boards?

[ This Message was edited by: Decado on 2002-03-31 15:53 ]
Post Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:50 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Because you don't need to know, and I suspect they wouldn't matter to you. Besides, the one's I've already mentioned are still valid. Don't worry, I'm discussing them with a few people who have actually played the game, though. I'll fill you in later.

Nothing to fill me in on... I'm one of the people that "have actually played the game"...

quote:
As for character control...what quote was that?

Players can control as much of the action or as little as they engage in combat. For example, they can take the party into the presence of the enemy characters and simply allow them to fight it out, or explicitly give commands. It is also possible to pause the game and give the orders and then let play resume when done. We believe in providing a wide range of play options.

That's also how I have played the game, with pauses and issuing commands not allowing the AI to do all the fighting unless it's a super simple battle, much like the same thing I did with all the IE games that BIS/Bioware did.

quote:
Are you the same Llama from the Pool of Radiance 2 boards?

No, I never had an interest in pool2 because of all the hacking they did to the very key features of 3rd edition.

Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:38 am
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I'm sorry, Llama. I have to admit I was being purposefully vague

I knew/know someone else who uses the same handle. He was spamming/flaming the PoR2 boards I occationally visited. Needless to say, I didn't like him at all.

"Nothing to fill me in on... I'm one of the people that "have actually played the game"..."

You have the Gold copy? Why didn't you tell me before?

"Players can control as much of the action or as little as they engage in combat."

*Chuckles* Warcraft with a pause button (litterally). Anyway, there is a bit of a mix-up: When I said "control", I wasn't referring to "controls" (as in how they work). I knew that. Maybe a better term would be "options". There are few options...and even less depth than the IE games provided. You run into an enemy, you sit and watch. Maybe you pause and click a few times to make sure your characters are not doing anything too stupid.

Apparantly there are little or no features in the combat system that would bring it significantly above an 8 character Warcraft game.

From what I understand the story is MIA for most of the game, the dialogue is poor and combat (besides being increadibly simplistic) is unbalanced.
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:39 am
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
You have the Gold copy? Why didn't you tell me before?

I didn't feel it was important to announce that I had played the game. But no, I do not have the gold copy, but I have played the game.

quote:
You run into an enemy, you sit and watch. Maybe you pause and click a few times to make sure your characters are not doing anything too stupid.

That all boils down to what AI scripts you assign to your PC's. You can do the exact same thing as in the IE games, or you can make it to where you only move your party around. You seem to think (or at least come off that way) that you are forced to watch everything and have no control over the action, but that's just not true. You can make it that way though, and from the reviews I've read that seems to be the popular method, but I had a blast playing it without all the scripting options.

quote:
Apparantly there are little or no features in the combat system that would bring it significantly above an 8 character Warcraft game.

The combat in DS is hardly any different than the combat of other real time w/ pause cRPGs.

quote:
From what I understand the story is MIA for most of the game, the dialogue is poor and combat (besides being increadibly simplistic) is unbalanced.

The story presents itself quickly, and becomes very interesting as you move through the game.

The non-linear exploration portion is a very strong feature. There is a gigantic mass of land that you don't actually have to explore that really adds to the immersive atmosphere of the game.

The combat balance it just like any other cRPG...

Magic is strong
Melee is tough
Archery is brutal

[ This Message was edited by: Llama on 2002-04-01 09:04 ]
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:03 pm
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

"But no, I do not have the gold copy, but I have played the game. "

OK, I've been talking with those who have the Gold copy. Note: Whatever I may think, this may be what the game is supposed to be like and it doesn't, if fact, suck

"That all boils down to what AI scripts you assign to your PC's."

Does it really matter? Sripts or no, its pretty limited what you can do or what you can think about.

"You seem to think (or at least come off that way) that you are forced to watch everything and have no control over the action, but that's just not true...but I had a blast playing it without all the scripting options. "

But what is there to do?

"The combat in DS is hardly any different than the combat of other real time w/ pause cRPGs."

Does that mean the game should slide down to the muck, then? However, that really isn't the case. At least the IE games had a complex spell casting system. Games like Evil Islands have hight modifiers and make good use of stealth and tactical positioning. DS does not do that...or anything, really. You've got this wonderful 3D world that is about as two dimentional as the hand painted 2D infinity engine games ('cept not nearly as pretty).

The potential was there to making something very interesting. Instead, Chris Taylor has made one of the most simplistic and uninteresting games in existence (IMO).

"The story presents itself quickly, and becomes very interesting as you move through the game."

Not from what I heard (guy who had the gold version). It is very sparse throughout. Bad dialogue.

"The non-linear exploration portion is a very strong feature."

Not as strong as most CRPGs, apparently.

"There is a gigantic mass of land that you don't actually have to explore that really adds to the immersive atmosphere of the game."

Yet all you'll find is more monsters....

"The combat balance it just like any other cRPG..."

Not what I was referring to. Apparently it is fairly uneven and random. One minute you're slaughtering everything and the next you're killed by some super powerful monster. Maybe this is just the beginning, though.
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:13 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh well, each time I try to tell you a feature you just ignore it and pretend I didn't say anything. Not the most interesting way to carry on any type of conversation.

State facts
ignore
repeat facts
ignore
etc...

Take care
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:48 pm
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

1) Um...I'm quoting you.

2) Your "facts" are either wrong (ie. not "facts") or pointless.

You may get irritated when people make comments without backing them up.

*I* get irritated when someone asks me for specifics (I do so), then acts like he's made some brilliant response that should resolve everything.

You've told me nothing I haven't read in a preview. Half your responses have nothing to do with what I was saying.

I've responded to all your "facts" (see responses beneith the "QUOTES").

You obviously haven't return the courtesy.

Do you always come up with lame excuses (not to mention outright lies) like this?

[ This Message was edited by: Decado on 2002-04-01 16:33 ]
Post Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:31 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
1) Um...I'm quoting you.

k

quote:
2) Your "facts" are either wrong (ie. not "facts") or pointless.

k

quote:
You may get irritated when people make comments without backing them up.

k

quote:
*I* get irritated when someone asks me for specifics (I do so), then acts like he's made some brilliant response that should resolve everything.

k

quote:
You've told me nothing I haven't read in a preview. Half your responses have nothing to do with what I was saying.

k

quote:
I've responded to all your "facts" (see responses beneith the "QUOTES").

k

quote:
You obviously haven't return the courtesy.

k

quote:
Do you always come up with lame excuses (not to mention outright lies) like this?

k
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 1:43 am
Decado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Most intelligent response from you yet
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 2:15 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

As far as I know Dungeon Siege is a dungeon crawler type of game, as such it focusses on that aspect more than on others.
As all dungeon crawlers an easy way to control things is essential.
It's pointless comparing it to a game that focusses on a deep storyline.

If you don't like hack&slash games, what DS is set out to be, than it's probably not for you. If everybody wanted a deep storyline then noone would play Diablo.

The discussion you both are having is also pointless in my opinion. Failure to accept an other persons view is not the best basis to have a discussion.

...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 3:43 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, a good editor is not one of the features I put into consideration when buying a roleplaying game like Dungeon Siege. I still think I will buy this game if it has side-quests and areas like BG2(unlike Diablo 2).
Post Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:31 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2