Northern wilderness dungeon
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Northern wilderness dungeon

I just went through the whole easter-egg dungeon (I think) without finding a "boss" monster. Did I miss something? If I did, is it worth me going back for?
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:06 pm
otter
One of Us

If you didn't kill Nebdar and get her amulet, go back. It's a very nice piece of jewellery. (called Amulet of Nebdar, strangely enough...)
Post Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:26 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

And a very entertaining battle, too...

Edit: OOPS! You said Northern wilderness! For once I get to correct otter instead of the other way around. Nebdar is in the mountain wilderness. You should have come across a slime with about 450hp at about the 2/3 point of the crawl. That's the closest thing to a boss in the northern wilderness dungeon.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:21 am
otter
One of Us

got lost again...NW dungeon is pretty boring, you're right.
So now you know--go to the MW one!!!
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 8:05 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

Already did the Mountain Wilderness & Cemetary ones a while ago, and have the Amulet of Nebdar (or whoever she is). I had a LOT of trouble finding the runes for the Northern Dungeon, and decided to make one last attempt to find them (after failing on at least 3 prior occasions). Then I finally found all the runes - and didn't have the right item! I, set up a portal, saved the game right there, and ported back to Arnika to try and get the right one; no luck. When I ported back, it did accept my tries with the wrong type of staff, so I'm wondering what the limits are on what I read earlier elsewhere (or if it's even accurate): you must find all the runes & place the item without leaving the level, or the dungeon is closed to you.

Rather than testing the proposition about level leaving, I searched the internet & found a character editor to just give myself the right staff. (While I could have just done edited the file myself, it would have taken me too much trial and error to locate the correct item #; it's amazing what changing one byte can do for you.)

I think I read the dungeon is meant for about level 13-14 parties. My level 24 party was bored to death. Killed the slime mentioned by Dteowner, got 3 pieces of +3 armor which I don't need anymore, and I don't think I even got a million XP out of the whole thing (6 member party).

A bizarre autoleveler thing that recently happened: For various reasons, I decided to walk all the way from Marten's Bluff up to Rapax Rift with this party (one of the reasons was so that I could take one last look for the N Wilderness dungeon). I knew I'm in no danger of anything really hurting my party until I hit the Mountain Wilderness. But I'm thinking along Arnika Road & A-T Road, the Brigands will have 70+ hitpoints, I'll fight some juggernauts, etc. just like the first time through. NO! I'm fighting brigands with 20 HPs, piercer modais instead of juggernauts, siges that can be killed in 1 bowshot, etc. In otherwords, I was having tougher encounters before I left the monastery than this stuff! This was definitely surreal - I knew the autoleveler wouldn't match my party, but for it to regress like this!?
Post Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:07 pm