Jade Empire (Xbox): Preview @ VGL
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Jade Empire (Xbox): Preview @ VGL

BioWare's 'Jade Empire' has been <a href="http://www.videogameslife.com/pages/article/pvw/287.htm" target="_blank">previewed</a> at VideoGamesLife. Here's a taste:<blockquote><em>A few years ago, it seemed Square was unrivalled when it came to sprawling, console RPGs. The Final Fantasy franchise ruled the genre and by being a PlayStation exclusive series, it helped propel the Sony brand into many millions of homes. However, who could have envisioned the impact a formerly PC-only developer could have had on its debut on the Xbox? Bagging the rights to create a high profile RPG based upon the Star Wars universe, BioWare weaved a rich story in that illustrious movie franchise. With the Child of Bhaal saga and NeverWinter Nights both successful translations of another famous property, it comes as no surprise that BioWare now wishes to go its own way, by creating original assets instead of producing licensed software.</em></blockquote>
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:57 am
theponja

The end for the rpg-like games

Sadly, bioware left the party game for the one-man + henchman game in NWN. Now the left the paused-based combat for the freaky combo-pad-game in the consoles. What next ? Maybe they left the complex interactions between npc's because is too complex , then voila! Diablo wins, and all the rpgs are now diablo-like.
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:02 am

Priest4hire
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ah, if it isn't the old slippery slope arguement. Yeah, because when Bioware made MDK 2 it instantly caused all their other games to degenerate into action fodder. SO they are making a single character game that uses a fighting game style of combat on a console? Why shouldn't Bioware try new things?

Grammaton Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:01 am
theponja

I'm sorry

I'm forget the 10 amazing rpgs party based from last year and 10 more and ind development. Look the games in development !
The article "The Action RPG Revolution" validate my point of view. Only two rpg now in development are "classical" KOTOR 2 and Dragon Age the rest are all action-rpgs.
I know the companys needs to sell but the posibility for amazing titles is very slim. Something like Planetscape Torment isn't goint to happen, again.
And the classical rpg's party-based with paused-based combat is dying very fast.
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:09 am

Priest4hire
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Since when is paused combat classical? It's sort of an odd mix of turn-based and phased. Only unlike phased you can stop the action at any time and give new orders. But I'd call tactical turn-based combat 'classical' before paused.

That there aren't very many of them doesn't seem a huge shock. It's not like there ever was that many of them. That one of them is a Bioware product that will be released after Jade Empire casts doubt regarding your assertion that Bioware was going soft somehow. After all, was it not Bioware and Black Isle that used the paused the most anyway?

I wouldn't read too much into the action RPG fad. These things tend to run in cycles, and classic RPGs have long development cycles anyway. I doubt that hardcore RPG developers like Troika or Obsidian will just stop making classical RPGs. And isn't The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age turn-based?

Grammaton Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-
Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:40 am