First impressions wanted
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

First impressions wanted

The game will come out in a week or so over here.

I would like to hear from those more lucky - what are your first impressions?

(Please no spoilers :]).
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:42 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Really quick impressions from two hours play...

Seems to perform quite well on my P4-3Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 6800gs...detected as "High" settings, first dungeon ran very well and outside seems fine most of the time, although the grass texture on the hills opposite the river look pretty plain.

The graphics are...great and underwhelming at the same time. The textures are nice and things like sword hilts and so on are incredible but the dungeon internals tend a little to shiny plastic and the faces are god-awful.

First dungeon gameplay is fun in an action/RPG way. I didn't think the physics were as solid as HL2 but it is an RPG, so no problem. Enjoyed archery and fireball throwing quite a bit but melee didn't feel that much better than Morrowind at this early stage (probably just me).

I dislike the interface and it annoys me that PC interfaces are dictated by consoles. I'll get used to it but the icons are meaningless at the moment, there doesn't seem to be any tooltips and it doesn't use the screen real estate efficiently because it was clearly designed for consoles - not a big deal in the whole scheme of things but a AAA product of this magnitude should be better, IMO.

I was asked on another board to articulate my concerns with the interface, so here goes. I don't want this to look like a big whine - it's one element out of the whole game...

- UI doesn't scale. Everything is within the "journal", which is the tabbed box you've seen in screens. It's only about 40%? of the screen area, so lots of scrolling regardless of your super 1920x1600 resolution or whatever. Things you might want nice and large, such as inventory or map, all fit in this box.

- Because of the lack of space, there's a dozen tabs and you have to switch between 4? screens just to get complete character info, let alone spells, inventory, etc

- Everything is indicated with icons - no text and no tooltips. Few of them made any sense at first glance until I had experimented or checked the manual. They look very stylish but aren't intuitive to me.

- As far as I can tell (and I'd love to be wrong) there's no hotkey access to specific screens - I can't hit "M" for map or "I" for inventory...hit TAB for the journal and navigate the tabs. Did I miss something here?*

- Journal seems pretty basic (although there's a map reference, which is nice)

*Turns out the F1, F2 etc keys go straight to the map etc but that simply isn't in my manual. Surely "M" for map and "I" for inventory are RPG standards? Anyway, I was incorrect on this point.
Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:17 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Just watched the making of and looked at all the extra art on the bonus disc. The pocket guide has a leather-like cover. The gold coin is going on my bookshelf by the pewter Ordinator from Morrowind CE.

Goodbye my friends! I must shut close the marbled gates of....

O B L I V I O N!!!

*see you in a few hundred!!!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yep, I just opened mine too, and so far impressed with at least the packaging! Nice looking fold-out set incl. besides disks-
-"in character" book of lore
-coin, might be pendent or keychain mat'l for the geekier among us
-de usual map to be tacked up asap

BBL
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:43 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Race = Dark Elf
Custom Class = Dark Blade(Security, Blade, Armorer, Destruction, Conjuration, Light Armor, Restoration)
Sign = Mage
Hair Style = High Knot
Hair Color = Blue(hint of gray)
Skin Color = Green(hint of blue)

The animation, framerate, and gameplay are really smooth. The music is very good. Character customization is insanely deep. I spent an hour on that alone. Shader effects are everywhere. HDR lightening is perfect. Hands-down the best graphics I have ever seen. Certainly the #1 Xbox 360 title.

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:33 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, my game doesn't work. For awhile I was pulling my hair out. Good thing though, there is a test software to detect if your computer meets the minimum requirement. It turns out my graphics card isn't good enough. The hardware requirement for this game is pretty dang high.

Tomorrow I have to run to the store and spend 300 some bucks on a decent graphics card.
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:12 am
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, I've got a fairly high-end system(AMD4000+, 2gb ram, 256mb geforce 7800gt) so it runs like silk for me with everything at max and at 1280x1024. I noticed no difference between 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 and it had rare, minor, hitching at 1600x1200 (like a half second pause if I spun the camera around fast) so I just run it at 1280x1024 and it's flawless (performance wise).

Everything Dhruin said pretty much sums up the only complaints I've had so far (after playing about 6 hours yesterday).

The most offensive thing to me is tha lack of UI scalability. If I play at a higher resolution the UI should be SMALLER. It doesn't change at all and that is truly lame. Even Morrowind's UI scaled with the resolution so I'm not sure what lazy person decided not to bother with it for Oblivion but it sure sucks.

The NPC faces are ugly. There's no other way to say it they are just plain ugly. It's not "graphics" quality either. It's pure art design ugliness. They look exactly like Bethesda wanted them to look I believe...it's just that the art design for the NPC's is horrible. Now the Argonians and most of the Orcs actually look pretty good but the humans and elves look like crap. The Khajit are somewhere in between (worst part about them being the horrible hairstyles ala Morrowind...what blind person thought those looked so good they carried them over?).

What Dhruin said about the inside (dungeon/cave) textures is also true. It's hard to put my finger on it though. It looks great but at the same time...kinda average. Very weird & hard to explain. I'm pretty sure this feeling was mainly caused by the over-hyping of the game and therefore much higher expectations leading up to release. It still looks fantastic...just something not quite what I was expecting (in caves/dungeons).

Outdoors is also a mix of just utter *wow* and *ugh* that sure is ugly. With the settings at max (including all draw distances) everything nearby is just amazingly beautiful outdoors. And the farthest away terrain and trees also don't look bad at all. They look very acceptable considering the massive amount of terrain and draw distances involved. It's the middle-range terrain that falls into the *ugh* category. In this distance it's close enough to see pretty well but far enough out that the detail textures (grass, bushes, undergrowth, detailed trees, rocks, etc) are not drawn in. So the ground is just the ugly basic textures with nothing on top of it. And it *is* ugly. But honestly the PC does not exist yet that could draw all that terrain in and have it run at more than 1fps, so it's understandable. But it's still jarringly ugly when you first see it after leaving the Sewers the first time (it was night for me so I didn't notice it till the sun came up). Now, this area around the Imperial City and the lake there may be the only area with such huge open draw distances to deal with. So it may only happen in this one part of the map. I haven't explored enough to see yet. But, even as ugly as these mid-range ground textures are it's not a huge deal after the first few minutes of seeing it. I quickly learned to not focus my eyes on that mid-range area and had forgotten about it until having to write this.

The lack of mapable hotkeys is also annoying. I actually read the ReadMe after the game installed (which I rarely do) so I knew about the F1-F4 keys being mapped as hotkeys to your Character Screen, Inventory, Spell Book, and Map pages. But it's still annoying that you can't map keys to individual tabs within each of those pages.

The icons for everything took a little getting used to as well. A coin = value in gold. A feather = weight of the item. A shield = armor value. And the last icon which I can't remember now = damage it does (as a weapon).

Overhearing conversations in the street isn't what it was made out to be either. I've yet to hear a conversation that made any kind of sense. But it's not a big deal. If you do *overhear* something that leads to a dialogue option or a quest iy will automatically tell you so. So I just treat those conversations as background noise usually.

Considering that the above things are *all* of my complaints about the game (so far anyway) I have to say they've done a damn fine job.

Yes, the combat is twitch based (skills affect the damage you do, not if you hit or not) but it works and it's been fun so far. Not all NPCs & monsters scale to your level (something I was worried about). Some (alot) of the creatures you encounter have a fixed level. I found that out the hard way when I tried to kill a troll at 3rd level.

The most important thing is that it's just plain fun. And it seems absolutely huge. I spent my first 6 hours in the game and only saw the starter dungeon, about 1/4 of the lake edge area around the Imperial City (including 2 caves), 2 areas of the city itself, and then Fast Travelled to a couple of towns just to see the difference in architecture and terrain. I'm trying to force myself to *not* use fast travel...but I'm pretty sure I'll be using it anyway.

Unless you're a graphics whore I would imagine this game will still be fantastic with alot of the details turned down. My advice though...first turn all draw distances UP to max. Then turn other things down or off till you find something that works. I think having the draw distances set to the highest possible is more important than having everything look fantastic (but that's just my opinion of course).

Anyway, so far it was definitely worth the wait (and the $50usd). The complaints I have are annoying (at first) but not game breaking by any means. If you liked Morrowind you will absolutely love Oblivion.
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:20 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Oblivion is a Morrowind improvement for the most part. Graphics and gameplay are very much improved but I'm having trouble getting over the negatives of this game.

Generally I'm pretty relaxed on criticisms about graphics since I'd rather have very smooth gameplay than beauty. I thought Morrowind and Gothic 2 were just fine graphically - even for today. So far I've found the Oblivion combat system to be a an improvement over Morrowind but still not to Gothic 2 standards. It still feels mushy, akward and disconnected. The blocking system really helps though. I just don't like the sword swings.

The thing I'm most depressed about is the interface as others have pointed out. The XBOX 360 friendly features are overwhelming on the PC. The "I can't read text on my TV from my couch so I need big icons" thing just sucks. The lack of scalability of the interface is again because of the couch sitting XBOX 360 users. How about those GIANT FONTS??? Consoles are the PLAGUE. But Bethesda should have seen these criticisms coming when they did the PC version. It feels like a port and thats just not right. Frankly its rediculous and I'm pretty angry about it.

My final beef with the interface is the lack of a paper doll. That's not a console inspired issue really - but its just plain annoying. Developers for years have realized that dragging and dropping inventory onto a paper doll is the most intuitive interface imaginable. I simply don't get it. I didn't get it in Morrowind either but at least things scaled.
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:11 pm
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Interface (designed for xbox gamepad) gets a lot of flak:

quote:
Here's another perfect example that infuriates me: looting bodies. So you kill a guy and you want to take his armor, right? But you want to be selective about what you take cuz you can only carry so much and you don't want to take anything that's worse than what you have. He's got five pieces of armor and a few weapons. Because the menus are so HUGE due to the jumbo font using the WE MADE THIS GAME FOR CONSOLES YOU STUPID PC GAMER typeset, you can't have the INTERFACE open at same time as the loot window. This means unless the disparity in items is so great that you know which one is better (eg. you have platemail and the dead guy has a loin cloth), you'll have to flip back and forth from the INTERFACE to the loot menu to compare. Imagine having to do that for the party of five you've killed. Ugh. The alternative is to take everything first and then discard later, but that's a pain too because (due to the jumbo font) you can only keep like 7 items on screen at once. So there's a lot (and I mean A LOT) of scrolling going on. In short, you basically have this clunky mess reminding you that you're playing a game every five minutes or so. I hope to God that you can somehow build a UI mod like they have for games like WoW and get that patched in as a data file.

What was wrong with the old user interface? I enjoyed wearing the Boots of Blinding speed and traveling by the map. I liked having separate windows for separate catagories. Why does this game smack of "consoles are priority number 1" developing when it's the PC market that will keep this game alive for years to come with all the mods?

quote:
You pretty much sumed up my experience after the 1st day of playing the game. It looks fine and plays well but the menu delays are killing the immersion. You completely lose focus on what you are doing while fumbling with the menus. They arent hard to figure out nor memorize but they are extremely cumbersome. They remind me a lot of console controls and I have to admit I feel a little betrayed by it. The PC fans are the ones who put this series on the map after all but I guess money talks.

In short the game looses lots of immersiveness when player has to spend great quantities of time fighting against the slow and cumbersome interface.
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:51 pm
Dhruin

Got a couple of hours in last night so here's some more, although I'm a long way from drawing too many conclusions.

I turned off the HDR and Bloom and turned on AA - I'm much happier with the overall look without the overbearing brightness; this took away some of the "plastic". In the full sunlight and with AA on, the outdoors looks simply spectacular but the draw-in as grass and rocks "pop" into view is distracting. Since some of that blame lays the feet of my 6800gs, I'll stop talking about graphics. Oh - indoor locations look great apart from the uniform blue windows, because you can't see through them so they stuck a nondescript blue texture on them.

I found the main city a bit frustrating with the layout and different zones so I decided to just explore the countryside. It's fair to say you won't walk for more than a couple of minutes without finding some ruins or whatever. I explored a tomb in the white ruins on the water near the city - quite atmospheric. Successfully sneaking gives a bonus to the first bow/melee attack, so that was quite satisfying with my bow but melee just sucks for me. I just can't find the range - they seem to damage me when they are too far away and it's very chaotic. Ranged, I'm enjoying.

Found a ruined fort and sniped all the bandits, plus picked some locks to get through gates to small chests. The lockpicking minigame is...intersesting. I'm not a fan of minigames so I'll comment when I've had more time with it.

Since I've read comments about some of the detailed quests people have found (and I haven't seen any), I decided to follow the main story for a bit and see where it went. Made my way to the first major part but the 2nd stop is on the other side of the map...I don't like the idea of just quick-travelling all over the place without exploring so I went to the nearby town (Chorral), which is a nice medieval town without zones everywhere and decided I'd explore this more thoroughly. Ran out of time, then.

At this point, I haven't seen the Radiant AI do a single thing that stood out and I haven't see any great quests (I've got a couple of minor fetch ones so far)...but to be fair, I've been a little disjointed in my approach so I'll dig into Chorral and see what I find.

To wrap up, I'd say the conversations do seem better written and the voiceover does give more personality, although I'd still prefer nice, deep dialogue trees. I think Gothic's pre-scripted approach still produces better "life" because you can clearly see the effects - folk gathering for a beer at the end of the day, for example. Because each house is a zone in OB, you can't easily see them sleeping or eating or working, so the AI might be doing wonderful things but it isn't all that apparent (at the moment, anyway).

Still, it is more engaging than Morrowind.
Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:57 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

*rubs eyes n blinks*

Well, that was pretty fun

"I had a great time with it" is about the best, simplest way to put it. Instead of listing my gripes first, let me tell you what I like about Oblivion.

--- Im running a /3.4ghhz/1gb/gf6800 256/ and the game runs good for me @1024x768 w/ high options, which is what I usually play games at anyway so, I aint sweatin it. Raining, in town, NPCs all over the place walking and talking, and here I'm running around MMORPG style jumping off things swinging my sword looking for a slowdown. I didnt find one, so Im happy about that. Indoors, dungeons, etc my performance rips. I guess I should be absolutely furious that Im not able to crank everything up to max @ 1280 x 1024 or something, but I'm just not. Yes, far away things look blotchy, but again, I aint sweatin it because things near me look great. I like the graphics Ive seen thus far.

--- I like the NPC convos/banter/greetings, I think it makes it feel more lifelike and inclusive. If you interrupt a couple people having a convo, they both turn to you, little stuff like that's cool imho. Sure the faces look lame at times, but I'm liking the full speech going and lips moving and what not. So it aint el perfecto, but it sure beats MW's NPC interaction into the ground imho.

--- Beside the 3D graphics in the game, the in-game artwork is great! The descriptions of skills, class, birthsign, etc, all have an accompanying new-agey looking pic, example below of Acrobatics. There's just a lot of minute polish and details, I like that.

--- The interface is for the McDonalds cashiers it appears , the benefit of which is quick filtration of lots of stuff on big buttons. While I share the collective chip on shoulder of my pc bretheren that absolutely resents the console DNA in this particular animal's genes, Ive gotten used to it and have adapted accordingly. It took me roughly a half a second to figure out what the feather and what the coin means, I've gotten used to it, and it really doesnt matter to me anymore. Like I said earlier, there is a system of filtering items that I really like, I know where to find what I want to find right away, I hated hunting thru hundreds of items on myself and vendors in MW.

The problem resides with lumping items together with information under the same system, and yes it can be quite awkward. Yes, Id like to simply hit I,C, and M, for their conventional RPG settings, and I have a feeling this type of tweak will be patched in. I hope.

--- Setting hotkeys for items, I have found to be easy and quick, I figured it out never looking at the manual. Swapping bow to sword and shield is a matter of hitting associated hotkey #1, or whatever you have it mapped to. Spells, etc as well.

--- I like the blocking with both shield and weapon, it finally gives someone who uses a 2-hander some sort of defense, and with it as the right mouse button, it's very easy to use. The fighting is vastly improved over MW. If you dont block, youre dead meat, this is a good thing.

--- I play a great deal of the game in 3rd person, I feared they might take it FP only, Im glad this is not the case, and switching between 1st and 3rd person is easy, and my char looks great in action.

--- theres just tons to explore, kill, find, jump off of, climb up to, Ive spent hours just doing nothing in particular, I love that kind of freeform gameplay and this has it in spades.

--- Lockpicking is an actual minigame now, tho I havent spent much time with it.

The gripes-

- side-popups that are in the interface are annoying.

- Lack of hotkeys, nuff said. Just figured Id give that horse one final kick

- the manual is woefully inadequate when it comes to basic commands and info.

- The Map. Maybe I just havent found it yet, but there appears to be no entire-world map. There is one of the entire world in general, but you can only see part of it that you scroll to. I would like my entire screen to have the entire map in front of me. Also, no fog of war type map obfuscation on the world map that pushes one to push the boundaries of his exploration, although things smaller than cities are hidden initially, and the smaller local maps are obfuscated. I dont see finding places this game to be a big deal, as there are markers even denoting quest objective locations. I know MW was a bitch to navigate at times, but this is just hand-holding overkill IMHO.

- I dont like the fast travel, and so far I havent used it. Ok, I used it once, and it made me feel like a total sissy. I suppose in time I'll have to get used to it.

- you have to edit the cfg file still to take screenshots, c'mon this is 2006.

- what they refer to as "vanity mode" in holding the view button is actually something I use quite a bit, but not for vanity purposes. It's basically the rotating 360 view wholly independent of whatever direction your toon is facing, of which I use alot when traveling to look about me at all times for enemies or what not. The problem is the mouse sensitivity of this mode is thru the roof, non-configurable as far as I can see, and can be very difficult to use properly when a slight movement registers as major.

- for having an FPS style at times, it seems that they left out one of the newer standards of it, the ability to "peek" around corners would be very useful.

- The program is not very cooperative when it comes to doing anything but running itself. I could not alt-tab, windows key, not even ctrl-alt-del breaks it. Rummaging thru the folders or looking at screenshots or whatever while in game is one thing, but if the program freezes up or something youre stuck. It happened to me once when loading between areas, the game just froze, and the only way to get out of it was to literally shut my machine down. Pissed me off big time. The second time I had a problem, it simply just crashed to desktop mercifully.

In closing I would say that yes, it is a good game, I like it already and have had a blast with it. It needs a patching to bring it's interface up to PC RPG convention, and I think the stubborn nature of the program even in windowed mode needs to definitely be curtailed. It's a bit kinder and gentler when it comes to the harsh realities of the first one regarding both travel and locating objectives. The game looks good, sounds good, and overall definitely an improvement over MW, but it still is at it's core the same type of game.

If you liked MW, you will most likely find this game to your liking. However, if youre a vehement MW hater, I wouldnt pick this game up thinking you'll like it any more than it's predecessor. Even tho they have tried to address many of the "harsh realities" that were a sticking point for many who dismissed MW, as I said, at it's heart this is the same type of game.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain

Last edited by xSamhainx on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:35 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

My first impressions, graphically, are a mixed bag. Sometimes the world is just stunningly beautiful, the treees sway in the breeze, the shadows move on the grass and over my sword, a butterfly flutters by, and the blue mountains beckon in the distance - and I am there, in Tamriel. Than you turn a corner and a whole hillside of blurry texture snaps into the highres version and a whole ruin pops into view. Not fading in, as I was sure it would be, it really just pops. Fortunately there are some ini settings that help quite a bit with this issue, if you have the machine to run it. The dungeons were beautiful, although even here some stretched textures tend to stand out and hurt the good overall impression. Faces range from the absolutely convincing to the downright off-looking - which is weird, because the facegen thing is absolutely capable of creating great looking faces (and I don't jsut mean good-looking, but convincing, lifelike). On the positive side, the variety is great, and many faces are memorable enough to really associate a personality with them. They mostly look prety good, until you enter dialogue and zoom in. Faces seem to have lighting problems, in one case turning the emperor into something resembling a half-decayed zombie. And ther is always an ugly texture seam at the throat. Turning of bloom/HDR and self shadowing helped a lot with that.
I found combat much improved in the sense that it's more fun and more involved. I enoy the seamless integration of magic and Melee. The interface - I can deal with it (not very picky with interfaces anyway), but I liked MW's better, nuff said.
I have yet to come across a single meaningful dialogue choice, but I haven't done much in the way of quests, only been through the initial step of the mainquest, so I am absolutely not judging that yet. After the niggles over graphics and interface adding up a bit, the quest design is gonna be the game breaker or maker for me, even more than I thought it would be. I went into a pub in chorrol to bide my time and waited for the RAI evening crowd, but the place remained empty the whole evening. Hmmm. Maybe just wrong place, wrong time, we will see.
The random NPC chatter is nice, but the volume settings are off - they are too loud when they are still pretty far away, with the result that more than one such conversation can get really annoying. And they seem to be constantly advertising the local merchants Still, it's a bonus.
I was impressed by the size of imperial city, and thought the amount of people going around was ok, if not exactly a crowd.
I am currently left slightly underwhelmed, but still hopeful.
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:52 am
Oric
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You should read the stuff their saying in the Elder Scrolls Forum!!! They're cursing at one another, spitting, fighting, and what-not. Its really not a firendly environment anymore. Because of this, I prefer RPGDot Forums.
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:07 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Great, thanks all. Thank you for all your first impression. I got a lot from it. I think I wont be dissapointed with the interface once I have the game.
Now I'm pretty sure, I want to get the game as soon as it is released here (as the first preorders are already indicated to be sold out, I think, I'll get mine sometime in the begining of April - I still have to order/predorder it).

As you can see, first reviews are already comming out. I don't think these are real reviews. I rather consider them first impressions. From your description I got the feeling that even very rushed gameplay couldn't lead to finishing the main quest (even if played straight nonstop since the release).
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:07 am
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

I put my first impressions in the spoilers forum here. Here's the link:

http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=2051796#2051796
Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:10 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next