help to make gothic film
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

help to make gothic film

So this is a good idea to make a movie abaut Gothic. I think they should make 3 episodes. (gothic 1, 2, 3) But firstly, we have to work on gothic one. I read some of the messanges, and i think not I'm the only one who would like to see gothic movie. If they see that people intrested abaut gothic film, they make one. Think abaut it gothic game is a big success, so gothic film will be another. So everybody have to send e-mails to the gothic team.Or i don't know where. Any ideas abaut where to e-mail, or advices to the film? Post them!
Post Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:32 pm
mazu
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Are YOU going to make the film?
Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:33 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by mazu
Are YOU going to make the film?

Of course not! But if we want a film, we have to persude them, to make it. I know not the piranha bytes will make the film, but they have to orgamize the things abaut it. But before it, they have to recognise this is a good idea.
Or i'm the only one who thinks?
Post Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:19 pm
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

no because they would ruin the movie and make an awesome game like Gothic look bad so no.

Unless i was the one doing it other wise no
Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:49 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I hope Uwe boll doesn't know about gothic :

A well known fact is, that game-movies allways tend to suck.
Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:23 am
Paul999999
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Its because they trash up the movie and make up a whole bunch of crap that isnt even in the game like Resident Evil movie totally garbage.

If they made the first movie based on the first game all the stars members chris and rebecca and jill and wesker and the others at the start getting killed by the dogs and the other one biten by the snake they shoulda based it all on the game and every other detail we didnt know they shoulda shown it in the movie.

Not make up this gay crap like they did
Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:22 am
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Yes. But they should change some things, like scavangers. I think creatures like scavangers, molerats shouldn't be in the film. (only if they can make some real good-looking ones.) But they can make good orcs, snappers(and wolves they don't have to make it but it can be good) and creatures like these. If they can't make sth. really good they have to throw it out. And the main character.... I don't know, maybe Mel Gibson?.?
Post Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:10 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

First of all, Mel Gibson is too old to act now, I think. And really, I can't see who would invest in a project of a Gothic-film. You want developers to invest their money in a not-known game which is I think rarely done. Maybe all those bad done game-movies are so because of budget lackness.
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:26 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's not even budget that's the main problem - the main problem is that the people making the decisions have absolutely no understanding of what they're doing and what audiences want, and the people they hire to actually make the films are just not good at what they do. Uwe Boll and Paul WS Anderson are not good filmmakers.

Before anybody contradicts x-dANGEr's assertion that nobody would fund a film-adaptation of a little-known game, I have to say he's right. You may counter by saying "well, how come Uwe Boll gets to make Bloodrayne? Hunter: The Reckoning? Postal 2? These aren't famous games!" but Uwe Boll is a special case. Investors give him money to make films because they know his films will flop - German tax law allows them to write off funds they invest in an unsuccessful film. Have you seen Mel Brookes' "The Producers"? That was a ludicrous comedy, but that's what is happening in real life - Boll gets funds precisely because he is an abysmal filmmaker and his failures make money for others.

So, horror of horrors - Gothic being a German game, Boll being a German director, and this tax situation only exisiting in Germany - it seems Boll is the most likely candidate to bring Gothic, disastrously, to the big screen ...but fortunately this tax dodge is being stamped out. This probably means Boll's career is over. It also means that the unikely green-lighting of little-known game-to-movie projects will not happen any more. If Gothic 3 is a massive hit, it might happen. I don't think the first two games have garnered enough fame for anyone other than Boll's investors to take the risk - you'd better pray he doesn't set his abominable sights on the series before this tax issue is resolved.

And as an example of just how little the movie producers and marketing people understand what they're doing, here is a link to George A. Romero's REJECTED screenplay for the first Resident Evil movie. Yes, they passed over this script from the writer/director of Night of the Living/Dawn of the/Day of the Dead, the movies that inspired the games, and went with Paul WS Anderson's unintelligible cinematic non-entity instead. No, Romero's take on the movie would not have been a masterpiece, but it undoubtedly would have been a far better film than the one we got, and it was much more faithful to the game, and it would surely have been a much greater box-office draw...

RESIDENT EVIL

directed by

GEORGE A. ROMERO

That's all they had to say, and there would have been queues around the block. I just can't understand how they could have possibly arrived at their decision. And don't get me started on RE: Apocalypse. I've seen a lot of films, many turkeys among them, and that's genuinely one of the worst. It's the same with comics-to-films. What's the only genuinely good film adaptation of a comic book? Sin City (OK, History Of Violence was decent too). Why did it succeed? Because it had a director who (a) understood the source material, its audience and movie audiences generally, (b) had the freedom to make it the way he thought best without having creative decisions made by non-creative people, and (c) most importantly, is good at his job. End result: a good film, and a financial success. The same thing needs to happen for a successful game-based movie: you need a writer and/or director who is just simply good at making films, there's no getting around that, and one who fully understands the game he/she is adapting - and you need the producers to stay the hell out of the creative process. It is not their area of expertise. There hasn't been a single game-to-movie project so far that's had a good director who's been relatively free to make the film as he sees fit - until Silent Hill. This is the only one so far that even stands a chance of being good.

In fact that goes for the games industry too, with regards to publishers dictating creative content despite a complete lack of artistic understanding or design skill.
oops

Last edited by piln on Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:22 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

So if they make bad films they will sell it for someone else... They will get money for it. (i think not 1 euro cent....) So maybe someone will be the director, and i thiunk if they make a film abaut 3 they will make one or two abaut gothic 2... So everybody can understaqnd it and i think the story is real good.

But if a dork make it nobody will continue or rewrite it..

but if maybe it is a real small chance for it
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:39 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

I think that the Movies --> Games transmission is way better. Look at the succesful movies such as LotR, it became a great game. And that's the end for every fantasy action movie I think.. The factor in that is that Movies are usually taken from books, which are way more detailed than a game. Or may I say, easier in info-substraction than games.
Post Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:58 pm
druidvideo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic Movie

There are a few reasons I don't think a Gothic movie would work.

1) Movie goers might be sick of orcs and all that after the LOTR trilogy

2) Only fans of the Gothic series would really enjoy it ..too niche.

3) Making movies starts with a producer wanting to make money. If the game flopped chances are the movie would too.

4) It would have to be absolutely spectacular for us Gothic fans to be impressed by it, which is unlikely given the amount of crap Hollywood releases.

5) There is already a movie called Gothic

Just my opinion anyway.... take it easy
Post Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:32 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Well, there are so many gothic fans, so a lot of fan will watch it
the lotr trilody isn't good as gothic can be
and btw not only gothic fans will watch this movie
Post Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:00 pm
druidvideo
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Mate I'm not against the idea, but commonsense suggests it will probably never happen.
Post Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:13 pm
Milan Kovacs
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by druidvideo
Mate I'm not against the idea, but commonsense suggests it will probably never happen.

ok pal, i only say if they make it they will probably make a trilogy, and it will be good i think.
Post Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:42 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next