Usergroups
MM9 - Classes, which will you go for?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

OK, let's try this again with proper terms since some folks got a little bogged down with my poor word choice earlier... I'm curious who will disarm traps in the early game. Since I'm replaying MM7 at the moment, I'll base my question on that, but I'm pretty sure it would apply to the other MMs. In MM7, you really need expert level disarm pretty early in the game. For example, to get most promos, you need at least 10 skill units of disarm or else you can't finish the quest. That's 10 points @ novice, or 5 @ expert. For some promos, it's higher. Yes, I know you don't have to open the chests you find or you could open them and take the damage, but that's pretty stupid. I agree that "mercenary" and "assassin" classes will probably play like the old "thief" class, but I can't see them letting a "fighter" starting class go expert in disarm. So, again, anyone have an idea who might be the early-game thief?
Post Tue Mar 26, 2002 7:33 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Need? You don't NEED anything. A chest will go off, so what? I have done solo games with knights and so on, and I still open the same chests(yes, doing a solo game is possible in MM7 if you let the rest of the party die without raising them).

So disarm trap isn't anything like lockpicking, but I understand your question, and I am sorry to say I don't know who will develop to become the "assassin" class.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:21 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:

On 2002-03-26 19:21, Maylander wrote:
Need? You don't NEED anything. A chest will go off, so what? ......

So disarm trap isn't anything like lockpicking, but I understand your question, and I am sorry to say I don't know who will develop to become the "assassin" class.

Are you trying to be annoying, or is it just me? The question is a simple one. When you joined us here, you posted on every thread about how much you know from other (as yet unnamed) forums and how little we know here. Fine. Enlighten me. If you don't know, drop it and we'll move on, no hard feelings. Anybody heard anything about how NWC is handling "disarm trap" in the early game? Thanks to Maggot for at least making a guess earlier.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:31 am

Well in mm6 there was no theif class and the knight was the trap disarmer, or the archer if you prefer.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:15 am

dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:

On 2002-03-26 22:15, Anonymous wrote:
Well in mm6 there was no theif class and the knight was the trap disarmer, or the archer if you prefer.

It's been a while since I fired up MM6, but I don't think they had any limits on misc skills for any of the classes- any character could master any skill if you put points into it. You could have had anyone train to disarm. Could be wrong on that, because my memory isn't too hot these days. Maybe they'll open up the misc skills to everyone again since NWC is moving MM to be more like HoMM. That would be unfortunate (IMO). I really liked the added complexity the class skill limits put on building a party.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:36 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Well my guess is (No one seems to no for sure) that maybe the fighter will have a limited posibility to the "disarm skill" Maybe limited to the "expert" degree.
If you then choose the Crusader/paladin upgrades you may be stocked at expert level, but maybe some of your spellcasters can take over with the telekinese spell. If you however go for the mercenary/(assasin or ranger) route you may be allowed to develop the (grand)master skill in "disarm trap".

In MM7-8 I found a ring/boots/gauntlet in the beginning that boosted my "disarm trap skills with 12-18 skill points in "disarm trap", and that was adequate until one of my characters had developed the skill in a "natural" way, or my spellcasters could cast "Telekinese".

Also an simple expert level in "perception" will make your characters dodge many traps from the chests.
Post Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:52 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2