Usergroups
Experiences with changing "job"
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I know, there is possibility to change characters job during game. However I never tried it.
Have you some experiences with it? Do you thing it is useful?
Is it similar process as dualclassing in games with AD&D rules?
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:00 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

No , I don't think it's very usefull, alone because you don't get at a point in the "level up" process where you can't find anything to improve, eventhough you solve every quest and search under every stone in the game.
The skills from the former profession will be frozen and can't be increased anymore, making them much less usefull in the late game period.
For magic users spellpower is also depending on profession level, which you can't get enough of IMHO.

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2002-03-13 02:22 ]
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 8:21 am
hatrossRig
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

my thief got up to level 21 with locks and traps up to 75 communication 70 stealth 85 and pickpocket 78. now i changed him into a fighter and i am dissapointed that he cant backstab anymore but he can go bezerk which is better anyways and can use better armor and weapons, with all the thief abilities. so if u ask me, dont change profession until you have already mastered the first one
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:28 pm
Motoki
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It can be useful in some instances, like for pure magic users late in the game you can convert them to hybrids of the same school (for example an alchemist to a ranger or ninja, a priest to a valkyrie or lord, a mage to a samurai, a psionic to a monk etc) that way they keep all their spells, you can still increase in all their magic skills and they can wear much, much better armor, especially the lords and valkyries when compared to a priest. Once you have access to all 7 levels of spells there is no reason, imo, not to convert a pure spellcaster to a hybrid class.

Converting a Spellcaster who concentrates in one school to a bishop seems to work well also.

-MO

[ This Message was edited by: Motoki on 2002-03-13 09:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Motoki on 2002-03-13 09:48 ]
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 3:46 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Thanks for good advices and opinions .
Post Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:36 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

The point to change a pure spellcaster into a hybrid with same spellbook, because of the abilities to were better armour/weapons is okay, but the drawback is that the power level you can use the spells will be much less than the pure spellcaster, and it will take a lot more time to get them even close to a fair level of power, compared to the pure spellcaster, which only can be done by neglecting your other skills, making the profession change pointless. The better armor alone is not worth the drawback in magic at this point.

And when do you master a profession??? When all your skills reach 100 or more??? This is not true for magic users! Their power are also profession/level depending!
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 9:11 am
hatrossRig
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

you master a profession when you can get by with what you already have and decide its time to give the character more variety. there are always disadvantages to changing profession as their are also advantages. the strategy guide says u should only change 1 or 2 characters professions sometime during level 9-11. I wouldnt agree with this 9-11 isnt high enough i would say do it at lev 20 or 21
Post Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:49 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

So, you are a "Master" when you can get "by"!
Interesting point! Okay W8 don't need "super" characters to be able to finish the game without to much sweat, so actually you can do what ever you want, and still be able to finish the game! Make a replay more fun, for trying a lot of new combinations!
But, but, but I currently have a level 30 Mage and a level 30 Samurai with good magic capabilities. Both can cast the "instant dead" spells on all characters and a lot of other good spells. In melee combat my samurai hit for approx 120-150 damage points every swing with a fairly change of instant kill. his instant dead spells normally erase 0-20% of the enemies. My mages "instant dead" spell "Asphyxation" kill 50-90% of the enemies every cast (Highest powerlevel + powercast at 95).
If you meet 10 Rapax's with each 400HP, the Samurai could with his melee skills kill one Rapax each round in average, and the same when he uses a spell, making him good for 400 damage points each round. My "Farie mage" will kill approx 5-6 of the the 10 Rapax's with her "death spell" making her good for at least 2000 damage points. I could never dream of changing her to a hybrid, and cut down her magical powers, for weak melee/ranged abilities and some unnecessary armour, she seldom get hit by anything!
Even if I did convert her, I still could finish the game with no problem, but I surely like her as she is!
My idea of a (grand)master is one that really is very superior on his field compared to others.

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2002-03-15 04:43 ]
Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 10:39 am
hatrossRig
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

yes i agree in the case of somebody like a mage you might not want to change profession.
by the way, what weapons are your samurai using?
Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 6:06 pm