Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
2004 Outlook
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

How good do you think 2004 will be for mmorpgs?
I think it'll be the best yet!
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
I think it will suck, big time!
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
It won't be any worse than 2003
40%
 40%  [ 9 ]
I don't know / I don't care...
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Author Thread
Christation
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Ligi
2003 - The "More of the same year" with the exception of A Tale in the Desert and SWG. But both couldnt hold my atention for more then a couple of months.

2004 - The " year of many choices" - diferent concepts are coming and for many tastes:
- PvP fans (Darkfall and Dark and Light)
- crafters will have Horizons polished
- EQ fans will have EQ2
- Ultima fans will have UOX
- Worldcraft fans will have... to wait ... as always P
- European FF fans, will have FFXI servers (hopefully)
- RvR fans will have DaoC better then never
If the above is not enough, Dragon Empires, City of Heroes, Lineage2, and many more will be around too.

I really believe that we wont see so much offer so soon after 2005, the period between 2004 and early 2005 will be unique and lots of MMRPG players who are discusted with the corrent status will be pretty busy.
Untill those games dont come out, I am having lots of fun in FFXI

Oh yea, I forgot about my other PvP title!

Christation
MMORPGDOT Editor

...Don't rob someone of hope; hope may be all they have.
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:39 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Dark and light? Darn i had forgotten that too. 2004 sure does look like a good year.

puppies on the charge
group pic

PvP that actually has som nice graphs. Amazing.

quote:
Still about the cliffs, you will be allowed to go (off the edge) if you want to, but there will be fall damage.
There will even have some tricks: put your shield under your feet and you will come down the mountain like on a snowboard. We want jokes, so imagine you're at the top of a hill, with a big werewolf coming to kick your ass. Hop, you jump on you shield and surf away. You will take some damage during the ride. You'll have to be careful and improve your stamina and exploration skills. There a whole range of skills dealing with movements and travelling.

Paragliding and surfing with shield down the mountainslope? What kind of game is this?
Post Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:05 pm
Snoekie
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

As always I'm following the mmorpg market and I think 2004 will be the best year we had so far.
BUT...my experience with mmorpg's has tought me that it's wise to have a "wait and see" attitude.
Most games these days, be it mmo's or single-player, are rushed to release and therefore lack content or have significant bugs.
I'm kinda expecting that a rule now rather then an exeption...sad but true.

Nevertheless, I do have my favorites And they are:

Ultima X: Odyssey and EQ2.

UXO looks good both in planned gameplay as well in graphics. The information I've read so far shows to me that the devs are really thinking about how to make a positive change in a mmorpg. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking new but I like what I've seen.
Also, my first rpg ever was Ultima 4 so I have a weak spot for it, hehe.

EQ2 simply looks amazing. As far as graphics go it will be THE mmorpg game in 2004 I believe. Also, they have a ton of experience with EQ1 so they know what works and what doesn't.
Even if it was just EQ1 on hard-ass Crack it wouldn't be that bad me thinks. But I'm hoping they will put in some new things to play around with.

If Blizzard weren't making WoW I would have that as my 3rd favorite. But I don't think it will come out in 2004. This will prove to be a good thing. It could very well be the first mmorpg that's NOT released too soon.
But again, I'm just gonna wait and see
Post Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:03 pm
MMOGman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think 2003 was a good year. I don't think Planetside and Shadowbane were good games, at least they tried something different though no one else had done. For as good as SWG and FF11 might be, they aren't all that revolutionary, in my opinion.

You've got
City of Heroes
Lineage 2
Ultima X
Everquest 2

all supposed to be released this year, all I'm possibly going to buy. Then there are the lesser known MMOGs like Dragon Empires and Darkfall Online which are also maybe worth a look. Overall 2004 looks to be something to look forward to. Not sure how revolutionary these games will be, they should still be fun at any rate.

It's clear these games could be better, maybe it's just part of the learning process for developers in a new genre.
Post Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:51 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Would anyone like to change their vote after todays annoucement of the cancelation of Microsofts Mythica? Still think '04 will be better, worser or are you still indifferent to the whole aspect of a bunch of geeks running around together in a vitural online world?
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:08 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2