Usergroups
Enclave is not an RPG
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Enclave is not an RPG

I noticed that Enclave is one of the options in the RPGDot voting for "Best RPG of The Year." I would like to point out that this is nothing more than an action game (a good one, but still).

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:33 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I agree. It's in our awards because it's in our database (and was released last year, obviously). So, why is it in our database? We try to be a pretty comprehensive CRPG news site. Categorising RPGs is no easy thing -- and the argument has been had many times on these forums -- so we include almost any game that has RPG elements or is claimed to be an RPG by it's developers/publishers and might be of interest to our readers. Sometimes we include games of a fantasy nature or other elements that might be of interest even if it's obviously not a RPG.

Some readers are upset at these inclusions but it's honestly better this way. For starters, when we add a game to the database there may not be anything known about it other than a press release - by the time we find out the RPG elements are smaller than the publisher suggested it's already been covered for a while.

As an example, Thief isn't a RPG by any definition I would recognise - but I would suggest many of our readers are happy it's covered.
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:06 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Dhruin, I just had this amusing thought. Two ends of the RPG spectrum: Diablo and Thief!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:42 am
Dhruin

Heh. And everything in between. It's a complicated genre, isn't it?
Post Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:45 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

So basically if it has a fantasy setting, it's in? No, I don't mean that, but seriously, Jedi Academy has RPG elements, but it was not included.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:25 am
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I'm sorry, but I can't think of any RPG elements in Enclave? Are you referring to the fact that you get to buy new weapons in between levels? In that case, add every game ever released that has a power-up feature (side scrolling shooters of the eighties)!
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:59 am
Dhruin

No, that's not what I said. If an editor feels it's of interest to our readers then they add it to the database. It's not entirely dissimilar to Blade of Darkness which has quite a following here - I imagine that's why it was added in the first place.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:13 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, considering the FACT that you have different CLASSES, and each class is get different weapons (sometimes) and is specialized with different weapons, I'd say it's a BIT more RPG-ish than your regular action game.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:55 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I've noticed this too. I'm not trying to complain, but there are all manor of newsbits regarding RTS games that are not CRPG's, but they're referred to as CRPG's on this website.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:00 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, you hear about RTS games like Warcraft 3, Spellforce, HoMM and such on this site because they still have RPG elements.
You don't hear much about RTS games like Total War because they have virtually NO RPG elements.
Same with action-like games such as Enclave.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:13 pm
Dhruin

The categories we have in the database are mainly to differentiate between broad categories like RPG and MMORPG or console games - they're not intended to apply a detailed genre (we don't have RTS or FPS and so on).
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:19 pm
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Well, considering the FACT that you have different CLASSES, and each class is get different weapons (sometimes) and is specialized with different weapons, I'd say it's a BIT more RPG-ish than your regular action game.

Now that's just dumb. Unless you mean that every sidescrolling shoot'em up where you're able to choose your ship (fast/fragile or slow/heavy) also classifies as RPG's.

In Enclave all you do is swing your sword and run forward. In-game there's NO rpg elements. Between levels isn't exactly role playing to me.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:26 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:

Now that's just dumb. Unless you mean that every sidescrolling shoot'em up where you're able to choose your ship (fast/fragile or slow/heavy) also classifies as RPG's.

In Enclave all you do is swing your sword and run forward. In-game there's NO rpg elements. Between levels isn't exactly role playing to me.

Dear god, please, read what I write at least.

I DID NOT say that it classifies as an RPG. No more than games like Warcraft 3 and such. I did say that it is more of an RPG than games like Heretic 2, Giants and such. It still contains RPG elements.
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:33 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Which has been my point from the beginning of this thread. Despite having RPG elements, Enclave is NOT an RPG.

Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:55 pm