Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
SPOILER: What's up with chests that I cannot get into?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

SPOILER: What's up with chests that I cannot get into?

I have run into a number of chests that when I attempt to bash them open I get a message that says I cannot do any damage with my current weapon (or something to that effect). I have a +1 weapon (thus magic) so that is not the issue. Is this just the message chosen by the designers to indicate a chest that is totally unopenable or must one use a magic spell on that kind of chest or what? Right now I can only leave them and hope they aren't all that important - but it would be nice if I at least had a clue what I must do to get into them.
Post Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:50 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I'm not sure... I don't think it's impossible simplyu because the message would say something like: "This chest cannot be opened by any regular means..." or something.

I haven't played a fighter class yet. I've only played rogue and magic user. With a rogue, there are some chests that are simply too difficult for me at a given level, and I will fail the check no matter what. Maybe it's the same with bashing it? Isn't it a strength check?Your weapon modifier maybe isn't large enough, who knows... not sure.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:10 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

certain chests have a damage resist, i have seen chests with up to 15 damage resist, so you have to do 16 damage to even hurt it!

Don't you feel better now?
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:09 pm
Brenner
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

SPOILER for prelude

i went into the editor in hopes of being able to edit the default keyset for NWN. out of curiotisy, i took a peek inside the only locked chest i came across in the prelude. it has 100 hit points, 16 fortitude, and a dc of 21 iirc. that is one badboy of a chest. my half orc barbarian couldn't even dent it with his huge double axe. peeking further, all it contains is a key related to the rogue quest. you can get a seemingly identical one from an unlocked chest in the next room.
Post Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:53 pm
Wabbit

yes, chests have a damage resistance - if the maximum roll of the attack you make could NOT exceed the damage resistance you get the message "your weapon cannot harm it" or something. It has nothing to do with magical weapons just max damage. My fighter uses a double sword for fighting, but carries a 2handed axe (1-12 damage) just for bashing stuff - the axe has a critical range of x3 meaning that on a 20 roll the char will do 40 to 50 points of damage. when I get to the tough chests, I activate "power attack" - made for bashing stuff IMO, start bashing, and just wait for the critical roll, it takes awhile but NOTHING can stand up to that axe forever
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:11 am

Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

Well, Wabbit, that is essentially what I thought - but. I could understand this message if I got the message every time I hit a particular chest but sometimes I get the message for one hit then the very next hit does do damage to the chest. This "back and forth" sort of thing continues until finally the chest IS broken open. So I don't really understand - the maximum damage I could impart to a particular chest with a particular weapon should be fixed - that is, not variable from roll to roll. Yes??
Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:37 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Joey Nipps
Well, Wabbit, that is essentially what I thought - but. I could understand this message if I got the message every time I hit a particular chest but sometimes I get the message for one hit then the very next hit does do damage to the chest. This "back and forth" sort of thing continues until finally the chest IS broken open. So I don't really understand - the maximum damage I could impart to a particular chest with a particular weapon should be fixed - that is, not variable from roll to roll. Yes??

Are you weilding two weapons? It could be that on a critical hit one will actually damage it, while the other can not ever damage it.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 1:28 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
Are you weilding two weapons? It could be that on a critical hit one will actually damage it, while the other can not ever damage it.

Nope. My character is a Barbarian wielding a two handed weapon.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:15 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

This is a good question! I have no idea. It could be the game only reminds you every now and then to simulate a live P&P game

Player "I hit the chest with my war hammer"
Dm "No effect, it doesn't even look scratched"
Player "I hit it again"
DM "No damage"
Player "Again"
DM "You know, you can keep this up for a *really* long time, but you are not going to get anywhere"

That kind of thing. Or it could be a bug
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:42 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by Lintra
This is a good question! I have no idea. It could be the game only reminds you every now and then to simulate a live P&P game

Player "I hit the chest with my war hammer"
Dm "No effect, it doesn't even look scratched"
Player "I hit it again"
DM "No damage"
Player "Again"
DM "You know, you can keep this up for a *really* long time, but you are not going to get anywhere"

That kind of thing. Or it could be a bug

Right, except that the actual scenario is like this:

Game: "You cannot damage with that weapon"
Game: "5 points damage done"
Game: "1 points damage done"
Game: "3 points damage done"
Game: Chest destroyed

So you see that I am getting the "You cannot do any damage with that weapon" on some hits to the chest, but on others I actually do damage and eventually I do destroy the chest.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:10 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Okay, going out on a limb here ... is it possible you are only doing damage with criticals? I will try it again watch more closely what the game feeds back .... I remember seeing a lot of

Damge done 5 (physical)
Damage absorbed (5)

Or something along those lines. But then, if you actually wind up destroying the blasted thing then it is not an issue of damage resistances ... hmmmmm.
Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:17 pm