View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

Is silence Golden?

I finally made it to Mt Gigas and have several questions
what does silence spell do and does it work well enough to keep?
Where can I get the requirements for spell book use? Example is I have portal spell book but cannot use it yet also book of Retaliation but can't use it also yet.. My val(Vi) has set portal but no return. Will other members use that portal or just theirs? I have accumulated a lot of spells and find Noxious Fumes and fireball usefull. any other suggestions for "keeper Spells". I'm at level 17-18, probably the slowest player ever but no rush. It's been 2 months almost! but still running from Geomancers, they never miss and have a long range!Is "Detect Secrets useful? I don't know if it's doing anything but use it any way. X-Ray is one of the best.should I keep my Speed above 50 for all? What is important for a bishop? She's getting killed alot but I don't know if vitality or strength will help. Point allotment is confusing at times for me. Lastly the Tyrinnie are neutral and were friendly, can that be changed? Watching them run from a fight is amusing though. thanks for your patience!
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:50 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Re: Is silence Golden?

1) Silence spell makes this: people can not talk if you cast it to them succesfuly. People (at least in world of Wizardry) need to talk when they are casting spells. So when they are silenced they can not do it.

2) Requirements to learn spells from books should be written in description of book. Also you need the ability to learn from books.

3) I think that every member of party can set one portal and return only to its own portal (ofcourse with whole party). So you can set several portals and with combination of normal teleportation portal you can make nice traveling web all around this wonderful world

4) My beloved "attacking" spells where (lets say top 4)
-- 1 - Death wish (tries to instantly kill all enemies around, in high levels extremly dangerous)
-- 2 - Asphiscations (spelling? same as above, just other schoold of magics)
-- 3 - Instant death (tries to instantly kill single oponent)
-- 4 - Fireball (traditional, but powerfull spell)
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:04 pm
otter
One of Us

If you meet the requirements to learn a spell, you can read that spellbook:
Spell Level/Caster Level/School Skill + 10% of Realm Skill:
1/1/0; 2/3/15; 3/5/30; 4/8/45; 5/11/60; 6/14/75; 7/18/90
Caster level may be Hybrid level minus four.
If Vi can set a portal, she should be able to read a Book of Return to learn how to cast Return to Portal.
Every spell you learn adds to your mana pool, and reading books can also trigger Skill increases.
You can buy books for almost all L1-5 spells, and you can find the rest of those, and some of the L6-7 as well.
(edit) i forgot this was about Silence, too! Silence is really handy when faced with the kind of casters that summon elementals or cast Death Cloud.
I cast it (or play the Silent Lyre) whenever i know the enemy can hurt me with magic. But if i'm more resistant than them, i prefer to use Eye-For-An-Eye and watch them commit suicide.
Post Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:31 am
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

Hoo boy. Lotsa questions to answer.

The Detect Secrets spell does exactly what the name suggests: it reveals hidden items as you walk by them. Normally, you'd have to use the Search command to find them. You can't run while searching, though, and you can get surprised by a group of enemies while searching. Detect Secrets bypasses all of that, so it is useful, unless you have a Ranger (they have an auto-search ability).

My favourite spells right now:
Death Wish: because Divine magic is about the only School at the end of the game that monsters aren't obscenely resistant to.
Asphyxiation: my gadgeteer used the NegatAir almost every turn as soon as his Engineering hit 85.
Fire Bomb: Same as Fire Ball, but does more damage and comes out of the Alchemy group.
Earthquake: because I like seeing Savant Troopers die.
Summon Elemental: it's all about distracting the enemy.
Haste: one of the most important spells, and, in answer to your question about Speed, no one needs to have Speed above 50 if you have a Haste spell up all the time.

For your Bishop: Intelligence and Piety, maxed out. That's your first priority. Depending on the school (Achemy, Psionics, etc.) you might want to invest a few points into the stat that controls those skills (Dexterity for Alchemy; Senses for Psionics). As for the choice between Vitality and Strength, well, it's up to you. Both increase your Stamina, which is a good thing for a Bishop. In my opinion, though, Vit is more important. Extra HPs might stop your bishop from dying quite so often.
Post Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:54 pm
shai_aus
Village Leader
Village Leader

Oooh, almost forgot. Geomancers will no longer be a problem if you cast Element Shield, so I'd learn that anyway you can. Remember to keep all of the non-combat spells (Enchanted Blade, X-Ray, Armorplate, Magic Screen, etc) up when you're not in combat.
Post Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:43 pm
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

One caveat about silence: alchemists can cast spells while silenced. It cuts both ways. This works well for your party. But if you're fighting ninjas, they will be still be able to cast against you. (I don't recall fighting any alchemists or rangers labeled as such.)
Post Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:51 am