Usergroups
Most underrated RPGs?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Isn't agreeing with Garrett one of the signs of the apocalypse? I don't think RPG's are mainstream enough to fall into the overhyped category. Reviewers tend to be more critical of them it seems. I can't think of any RPG's there were rated highly that did not deserve it.
Post Wed Jul 18, 2001 10:44 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Overhyped for me would include:

Ultima 9. Sorry, its a good game, but we were told a huge amount of lies about what it would contain. NPCs never moved, dragons never gave us lifts, incredibly lineer...etc.
I actually really like Ultima 8, but that was proberly because it was my first Ultima.

Lands of Lore 3. A total disappointment. As I mentioned, I enjoyed the 2nd part, but this was just bad.

Stonekeep. 4 years production was about 2 years too long.

Anachronix. A fun game, but no Deus Ex.

Nemesis, A Wizardry adventure. Truly awful.

Return to Krondor. Tedious, but pretty.

Alas, before I had internet access, I used to buy some awful games.
Post Wed Jul 18, 2001 5:33 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I still do *g*

Post Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:15 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I wish I had your time to play role playing games. I don't know if I didn't get the point, or you didn't get the point. But for instance, Ultima 9 might have been hyped by the game designer, but it was never acclaimed. Reviewers tore it a new one! People pretty much slammed it whenever they got the chance because of how linear and bug ridden it was.
Post Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:17 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Agree with Stiletto on Ultima 9, and I don't think Stonekeep or Return to krondor, was over hyped either. There may have been some big expectations around these games, but I don't think that gamers received them with bigger thanx, than they deserved.
Return to Krondor was b.t.w quite interesting IMHO, but way to short, and "Betrayal of Krondor" was much better and longer!
Post Thu Jul 19, 2001 7:01 am
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

That list represents a lot of years roleplaying, hehe

I don't have that much time to play, but I tend to play the same game a long time. At the moment I am playing Deus Ex, Balders Gate 2 and Anachronix, two of which I have had for a year.

As for bad roleplaying games being overhyped, I usually find the opposite to be the case. Whereas a 'Quake 3' would recieve scores in the high 90's, RPGs usually get a lot lower marks. Fallout is the ultimate example. One of the best games ever, and usually got around 80 percent. Might and Magic 8 usually got around 30. ( PC Format and Gamer ). This will happen with Arcanum.
Post Thu Jul 19, 2001 3:38 pm

the realms of arkania trilogy. Wizardry4 was kinda neat too. Both darksuns. SpellJammer was cool it had Xcomy combat.
Post Thu Jul 19, 2001 3:39 pm

Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

And Stiletto, I wish I had your time to post, hehe.

82, not bad.
Post Thu Jul 19, 2001 3:39 pm
Garrett

Well, I forgot the most underrated games ever, despite having received high, high ratings.
Ultima 7, Serpent Isle and both Underworlds should have received more than 95%!
They didn't, 'only' revceived 80% to 90% - but are the 4 top favourite games of mine!
I really miss 1992/1993... *sigh*
Post Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:03 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Jay: It must be because I am a title monger. Actually I was trying to beat them to the punch on putting a picture up for the "Citizen" title. I lost :< Rendelius was at the same time trying to beat me to the punch, so I guess he noticed I was closing in on 80.
Post Thu Jul 19, 2001 4:56 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Garrett: I hear you, and the mentioned games are also in my top list, where the ultima underworld games occupy the peak.
Despite my (our) devotions to these games, they are not quite without minor flaws, and giving them 99-100% would make them impossible to improve at all!
Yes, 1992-93 was really great years for CRPG's, maybe never to be seen again with such a number of high quality games!
Post Fri Jul 20, 2001 7:29 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Stiletto, you didn't really expect to beat me, did you ? After all, RPGDot is what I spent most time with over the last two years *g*

Post Fri Jul 20, 2001 8:37 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Of course I did! I was hoping to fly in under the radar. Don't you have better things to do than monitor how many posts everyone has? <: Isn't there an article you could be writing?

Post Fri Jul 20, 2001 11:59 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3