I have a few questions about this game before I buy it
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

I have a few questions about this game before I buy it

I saw this game at a yard-sale for $10 and thought about buying it. Now I know there's gonna be a few of you that will tell me it's only $10 so just buy it. It's not the money I'm concerned about, it's the time I'll have to invest into the game. My gaming time is somewhat limited so I gotta be picky about which games I do play.

Sorry for rambling there. The guy that's selling the game said he's hold onto it for a few hours while I did some research on it. I did go back a few pages on this boards and was able to get most of my questions answered, but I still have a few more.

1. From what I've read you role-play a convect in this game. Is it safe for me to assume that there's support for people that want to role-play an evil character? My idea of playing evil isn't running around and killing everyone. When I role-play evil characters I look out for selfish dialog options, making promises only to break them later if it gets you ahead, etc - I sure you get the idea.

2. Does this game use player skill or character skill when it comes to combat? Any good RPG will use character skill since you are, afterall, role-playing that character and not yourself.

3. Game stopping bugs. I didn't see anything about bugs that make the game unfinishible, but since this game has been out for a few years now you fans might know about them and avoid them. So are there any?
Post Tue May 04, 2004 8:26 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

1. well you can't play really evil but you can play the badd-ass i'll do it my way
2.I don't understand what you mean
3.I G1 I didn't thaught there were game stopping bugs, if you have the english version , there will be bugs but no games stopping bugs that i know of

about the game play the firsttime you paly the game you cna finish it in about 20 -40 hours
Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:31 pm
Ruslan Ismailov
Village Leader
Village Leader

1) Definitly yes. There is a several quests, that could be solved by a treachery.

2) Depends on play-style. If you have a good reaction, you could use it as advantage. But reaction is not a prerequisite.

3) There is a few bugs, that could be destructive. But all of them have a solution.
(Well, G1 is pretty stable in modern computers)
Post Tue May 04, 2004 9:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

1. You can choose to a certain extend how you want to treat NPCs. Of course you are the hero, so you´re definitely not on the bad side.
2. Your char reacts better in combat when the stats increase but YOU are responsible for every single blow with the sword. This means your input is required and you can compensate a few stat levels with your brilliant skill.
3. Yes, Gothic has a number of bugs. ~3 are so serious that they have to be solved with the console. Whether or not you run into problems is hit or miss. Nevertheless I would estimate that 99% of the people here were able to finish the game.
Be careful about the hardware requirements. Gothic was last updated two years ago. It´s hard to predict how it will react to graphics cards newer than a GeForce 4.
Post Tue May 04, 2004 10:03 pm
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

Thanks for the replys! I ended up buying that copy and will get it a play through after I finish Divine Divinity - the setting sounds really interesting so I'm looking forward to playing it. The only down side is my copy didn't come with a manual. Hopefully the game won't be too hard to figure out.

Also I'm still running a GF3 Ti200 with the 43.45 driver set, so I should be fine.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 1:18 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Check out the faq in the troubleshooting forum. It has some good links and ideas. There is probably a thread on controls as well. Do a search and see what you can find. If all else fails, I'm sure we can help you out. It is a game you don't want to miss. Have fun.
Mark Twain
Post Wed May 05, 2004 1:30 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

There is an html file on the cd, it gives you enough info's to get through the game - - - everybody has it.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 8:28 am
Ioskeha
Village Leader
Village Leader

yea I found that readme file, thanks anyways.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 8:23 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Forget the readme file. Download JemyM´s FAQ.
Post Wed May 05, 2004 9:33 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by Ioskeha
Hopefully the game won't be too hard to figure out.

Oh, but it will. It's very likely you will experience at least slight frustration during the very beginning of the game. That is, if you don't read a quick turn-around on the controls and the system. As Gorath said, JemyM's faq will get you going...
Post Wed May 05, 2004 11:05 pm