Usergroups
Demo 1st Impressions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I did think of a couple of things I don't like, just to be fair.
I don't really like the naked paperdoll for your characters. I also don't like how items you find are standing up and spinning like power-ups in a shooter.
That's the only negatives I can think of so far. They don't even come close to ruining the game, so I'm happy, but I'm an admitted Wizardry fanboy.
Post Thu Nov 01, 2001 2:15 pm
Althalus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think the graphics are quite a large leap above M&M. I mean, M&M isn't much better than Doom really. Sprites for everything, only psuedo 3d etc. How it reminds me so far of M&M are the empty, bland, corridory buildings. I hope the rest of the game isn't like that.

I agree with the items just appearing and rotating on the spot, it makes it feel fake.

But overall I enjoyed it. The magic, and items/skills look interesting. The overall feel (apart from the weird rotating items) is good. Good looking and animated baddies. I'll Definately have to consider this one.
Post Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:18 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I've just finished the demo.Wow!
No doubt, I want that game.
Well there was no story or introduction for the scenario, but hey, it was only a demo!
The graphics is not state of the art, but also not so bad as many previews claims. It was actually very nice.
Pro's:
Character generation and development, seems also to fulfill a dedicated RPG players needs. Lots of stats, traits, and abilities to evolve. Lots of items to collect and trade. A complex combat system, not difficult but with many possibilities. Fighting monsters takes more time, than most other CRPG's. I like the way, you search the nearby area for items etc. You can search a barrel without smashing it to 1000 pieces.
6 Characters and 2 extra followers give you a lot of mannagement, Great!
Very quick save or reload, almost no delay in quicksaving!
Good mapping system.
Very nice and interesting spell system!
Con's:
Random monsters, along with the determined monsters. Actually some of the random monsters is very powerfull in numbers and/or strenght. I got my ash kicked by 9 greater roaches, all with about 80 hitpoints!?!! They just came out of no where!
The monster AI mostly uses a long time to move/attack with the monsters.
The con's are not devastating, just a little annoying.
This game is going to be a must have for me!
Post Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:18 pm
Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hehe, I fought those roaches too! Hard fight! I was out of spells, and many of my chars were out os stamina. I did win the fight, though the game suddenly sent me to desktop and crashed! I hadn't even saved after the battle!

Another cool fight was against the metallic slimes. Gotta love the sound your weapons make when you hit them!
Post Fri Nov 02, 2001 3:24 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Come to think of it, you are right, the monsters are actually very nice made graphically, and the different combat sounds are correctly depending of what material your opponent is made of!
Another funny thing, was a fight where I tried to flee out of the dungeon into the open area. The monsters kept comming after me. And fleeing over the water didn't help either. These jelly monsters kept coming after me, eventhough some of them turned around and stopped chasing me!
I also tried in a fight against the huge "swallower" to flee up on the bridge and raise it to another level, but in combat mode, your are not able to use buttons, so i had to flee down the waterfall wheeeee.
That's another interesting detail. The outdoor areas and indoor areas are of the same proportion, so if you move around inside a dungeon, you actually move in the same scale outside. I don't no if my last sentence did make any sence, but I hope you understand what I ment, not what i wrote!
Post Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:43 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2